Author Topic: trying to make sense of Jack  (Read 13586 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: trying to make sense of Jack
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 11:44:02 pm »
Jack is more outwardly vulnerable than Ennis. Ennis simply bottles his feelings until they come exploding out. (It is no coincidence that there are fireworks going on in the background when he beats up the bikers). Every emotion that Jack experiences, we experience, too. We feel Jack’s joy for living, but we also feel his pain. We feel Jack’s love and tenderness for Ennis, but we also feel his frustration.

That's so interesting, Diane! That's exactly how I feel, only about Ennis. I always understand what Jack's emotions are, but I don't feel them in the same intense way I do Ennis' emotions -- and I always know what they are, even before they come exploding out. How weird! I bet that goes a long way to explaining why some people feel more empathetic toward Jack and others more so toward Ennis.

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 07:08:12 pm »
I feel empathy for both Jack & Ennis. However, I have a violent physical attraction toward Jack.

p.s.  Latjoreme, it's been very hot & humid here in Minnesota - approaching tropical rain forest dew points.  :P

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 08:00:38 pm »
That's so interesting, Diane! That's exactly how I feel, only about Ennis. I always understand what Jack's emotions are, but I don't feel them in the same intense way I do Ennis' emotions -- and I always know what they are, even before they come exploding out. How weird! I bet that goes a long way to explaining why some people feel more empathetic toward Jack and others more so toward Ennis.

That is funny! As coffeecat33 says, I, too, have empathy for both. However, just as you have pointed out, Katherine, each person comes with his/her own POV. Because of that, I understand  Jack better than Ennis. It’s Jack’s pain that comes over me like a wave. He just gives one look and my heart breaks.

So would you say your personality is more similar to Ennis vs. Jack? Or is it just that you feel Ennis’ pain more vividly? Just curious!
 ;)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 08:34:40 pm »
It’s Jack’s pain that comes over me like a wave. He just gives one look and my heart breaks.

Well, that's exactly what I mean. I empathize with both of them, too. But my empathy for Jack is more intellectual, whereas I feel visceral, emotional empathy with Ennis. I'll have to confess that when I first got on imdb and saw all those posts focusing on poor Jack's life, I had to stop and think, "Hey yeah, I guess the situation was pretty sad for Jack, too!" Duh. But I was so focused on Ennis' pain, I barely noticed at first that it was no picnic for either of them. ::)

So would you say your personality is more similar to Ennis vs. Jack?

A little of both, I guess. I'm naturally more of an Ennis, but I've gradually became more Jacklike -- more extroverted and social and optimistic. It's no fun to be an Ennis. And I'll admit that Jacks usually are more fun to be around. Still, I tend to be more intrigued by messed-up Ennis types. Just as Jack was, I guess.

And you?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 08:38:27 pm by latjoreme »

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 08:58:48 pm »
A little of both, I guess. I'm naturally more of an Ennis, but I've gradually became more Jacklike -- more extroverted and social and optimistic. It's no fun to be an Ennis. And I'll admit that Jacks usually are more fun to be around. Still, I tend to be more intrigued by messed-up Ennis types. Just as Jack was, I guess.

And you?

I am very much like Jack ... except even more emotional. I pretty much wear my feelings on my sleeve. I don't hide anything very well. When I'm hurt, I show it. But, I admit, I am attracted to men who are the opposite of me. As you have said, "the messed-up Ennis types" ... yep. Even my girlfriends tend to be more abrasive than I am.

They laugh at me at work because they always say I am so “bubbly”. I try to, “see the sunny side of life” I guess! Although I do have a wicked, sarcastic sense of humor. Not sure how that fits in ....  ::)
Diane

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 09:04:14 pm »
MUCH more like Ennis - keep it all inside, don't talk much, stoic. Is that why I am so attracted to Jack??

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 09:05:56 pm »
quote author=dly64 link=topic=3478.msg65335#msg65335 date=1153961928]
I am very much like Jack ... except even more emotional. I pretty much wear my feelings on my sleeve. I don't hide anything very well. When I'm hurt, I show it. But, I admit, I am attracted to men who are the opposite of me. As you have said, "the messed-up Ennis types" ... yep. Even my girlfriends tend to be more abrasive than I am.

They laugh at me at work because they always say I am so “bubbly”. I try to, “see the sunny side of life” I guess! Although I do have a wicked, sarcastic sense of humor. Not sure how that fits in ....  ::)

[/quote]I know, I'm like that too... lol.. :)

I think these are all characteristics of the Briggs-Meyer INFP (Introverted Intuitive Feeling Perceptive), which I know I am, and I am also pretty sure that Jack was like that too.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 11:29:24 pm »
I think these are all characteristics of the Briggs-Meyer INFP (Introverted Intuitive Feeling Perceptive), which I know I am, and I am also pretty sure that Jack was like that too.

Actually, I am ENFJ (however, there is only one point difference between my "I" score and my "E"). I would see Jack as being extroverted. He is certainly the more gregarious of the two!  ;) However, the rest certainly fits his personality.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 11:32:05 pm by dly64 »
Diane

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2006, 04:49:18 pm »
Actually, I am ENFJ (however, there is only one point difference between my "I" score and my "E"). I would see Jack as being extroverted. He is certainly the more gregarious of the two!  ;) However, the rest certainly fits his personality.

Back in the old IMDb boards, someone (was it Leslie?  Victoria?) took the Myers-Briggs as if they were Jack and as if they were Ennis.  I'm pretty sure they came up with ENFJ for Jack, but I forget.

(<--- INTJ, for what it's worth)
No more beans!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 06:58:16 pm »
Back in the old IMDb boards, someone (was it Leslie?  Victoria?) took the Myers-Briggs as if they were Jack and as if they were Ennis.  I'm pretty sure they came up with ENFJ for Jack, but I forget.

Whoa! If that's the case, then Jack and I are more alike than I thought!!
Diane