Author Topic: What do you scream at the TV screen?  (Read 9341 times)

mvansand76

What do you scream at the TV screen?
« on: July 26, 2006, 09:15:09 am »
Maybe it's because we still HOPE that the movie will take a dramatically different turn all of a sudden, like a hidden wormhole that only opens up after you've seen the movie 33 times?  ;D

I always scream at Ennis right after his infuriating "I guess I'll see you around then...". It's always something in the lines of "Ennis, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" or "Ennis you stupid ****....".

What do you scream at the TV screen?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What do you scream at the TV screen?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 09:31:35 am »
When Jack says to Ennis, "I guess I'll see you next month, then," after the divorce, I don't scream it or even say it out loud, but I always think "Don't let him go, you idiot."

But at the end, when Ennis backs away from the closet, his eyes brimming and coal-black with tears, whispers "Jack, I swear," and then pulls that lower lip in just a little to keep it from shaking, I always, always think, "Aw, honey..."  I just want to rock him in my arms like a baby, then.
No more beans!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 09:38:08 am »
Ugh,  so many frustrating scenes to scream at!    :P

Yes, the first departure scene.  I was yeling at Jack: "Offer Ennis a ride Stupid!"

And of course the Divorce scene.   "Ennis!  How could you turn Jack away??!!"

and  "Jack!   ask to crash there for the night so you can rest up for the return drive at least!   Then maybe Ennis will reconsider and tell the girls that "Uncle Jack" is staying a while".

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 12:35:44 pm »
My heart always goes out to Ennis when he leaves Brokeback and dry heaves in the alley.  Actually, instead of screaming at this scene, I almost whisper,

"Easy, Ennis, take it easy.  You'll get to see him.  You love Jack, he loves you, you'll be together soon."  Jack will find you."

When Ennis turns Jack away after the divorce, I do scream,

"Ennis, you're a fool!  I feel like slapping you silly!"

After Jack tells Ennis, "I miss you so much I can hardly stand it," I say,

"Man, Ennis, what's wrong with you?  Jack just told you he loves you (in his own way) and you just sit there like a knot on a log.  The  least you can do is say, same here, bud, or something like that!"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 01:56:57 pm by littlewing1957 »

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 12:42:12 pm »
During the final lake scene I always tell both of them "If only you knew this was the last time you'd see each other ..."

*sighs* How different things would have been if they knew.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 02:50:23 pm »
Tell you what, - I've certainly sent more than one loud expletive John Twist's way as he tells Ennis of Jack's ranch neighbour and generally lambasts his dead son.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 03:28:06 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 03:27:17 pm »
That divorce scene makes me the angriest!!!  I could literally jump through the TV set and shake Ennis.  To see poor Jack so elated when he is on his way to see Ennis and then to see him crying in that truck --- ohhhh, it damn near breaks my heart in two.....

I grit my teeth and say "Ennis, WHAT are you doin?  Look how much he loves you - and YOU love him - and you're gonna let him just drive back 1400 miles when he came here with his entire life - and that BEAUTIFUL SMILE - to give to you???"

I just lose my patience with Ennis at this point....

>:( >:( >:(
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 03:36:13 pm »
When Jack is leaving Signal, 'Jack turn, go around the block, you find how much you mean to Ennis. You can be the cowboy that finds him.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 01:04:21 pm »
I never actually yell at the screen as Jack and Ennis leave each other in '63. I do feel an extreme disillusionment when I watch that scene, however.

Here's a new one: I always get furious at Jimbo. I mean, what a prick, embarrassing Jack like that! The nerve...

And I always get even more furious with L.D. Oh, dear God. Hate him so much... When Jack tells him off at Thanksgiving, I applaud and sometimes squeal.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 01:47:41 pm »
I plan to watch the movie tonight with not one but two BBM virgins, both of whom are known for editorializing heavily when watching movies in someone's home (they're at least polite in movie theaters).  It'll be most interesting to hear what they have to say to whom and when.
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 06:10:01 am »
I plan to watch the movie tonight with not one but two BBM virgins, both of whom are known for editorializing heavily when watching movies in someone's home (they're at least polite in movie theaters).  It'll be most interesting to hear what they have to say to whom and when.

And... what happened?  :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 07:25:24 am »
And... what happened?  :D

I probably editorialized more than they did.  ;)

It was interesting.  These are two women who are generally blockbuster types only - neither of them had ever seen Jake in *anything* and had only seen Heath in "A Knight's Tale," if that gives you any indication.

We ended up talking about it for about an hour afterwards.  They both thought the first tent scene came about "too soon."  (GAH!)  That there was plenty of chemistry coming from Jack to warrant it but not enough from Ennis.  They also thought it was more of an unrequited love story in that sense - that Jack always felt "more" than Ennis.  (GAH squared!)

One of them had a take on the flash to Jack being murdered that I've not heard before, though, and that is worthy of further study.  She said she didn't see it as being what Ennis was imagining happened at all - she saw it as Ennis processing the story Lureen was telling him and processing the fact that Jack is really dead (she's lost some people close to her and knows from this) and the filmmaker showing us, the audience, meanwhile, what *really* happened.  Kind of a simple-minded, unseasoned-movie-veteran way of looking at it.  Or is it?

They both laughed out loud when Jack told L.D. off and Lureen gave that little satisfied smile.  They also both said "Oh, NO!" when Aguirre turned out to be watching them.  And I just remembered!  One of them actually said during the post-divorce scene "Stupid GUY!"  (Like - isn't that typical?  We've all been there to some extent, huh?)

All in all, they weren't overwhelmed (alas, they are not Brokies).  But considering this isn't remotely their usual fare, they both said it was very well-done and that they appreciated that "the filmmaker" let them decide on their own what really happened in a couple of key places and "didn't beat us over the head with a message like 'Crash'."

So it's all good.  :)
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 07:38:19 am »
 ;) So they liked it, but didn't quite understand what the big deal was?

God, I find it sooo difficult sometimes to watch this movie with non-Brokie people, they look at it so differently. The only person who likes this movie almost as much as I love it, is my sister but she is in no way a Brokie. 

Wouldn't it be fun to just for one day be able to erase all your memories of the movie and the discussions surrounding it, and watch the movie for the first time again, without knowing ANYTHING about it, maybe then we would be able to understand non-Brokies!  ;D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 07:50:01 am »
Here's a new one: I always get furious at Jimbo. I mean, what a prick, embarrassing Jack like that! The nerve...

Stitchbuffy - I always come at this scene a little differently by screaming at Jack - 'Don't go there, don't do it, DO NOT DO IT!!' when he approaches Jimbo, but of course he never listens to me. ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 07:56:25 am »
Hey Barb!

I'm glad you had a chance to initiate two newbies to BBM.    I'm glad they liked it even thought they didn't "Love it".

I guess the difference is some people dont fall in love with the characters the way we did.   Of course, the many of us that have had similar story line experiences are the ones hit the hardest. 

Personally, I can't see how anyone couldn't just want to run over to the screen and start kissing Jake!  LOL.      Damn, I need to wipe the lint of of my TV screen.   ::)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 08:43:54 am »
When Ennis is marrying Alma......i feel like shouting.....DONT ENNIS....ITS THE START OF A SHIT LIFE FOR YOU.........

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 08:53:39 am »
Hey Barb!

I'm glad you had a chance to initiate two newbies to BBM.    I'm glad they liked it even thought they didn't "Love it".

I guess the difference is some people dont fall in love with the characters the way we did.   Of course, the many of us that have had similar story line experiences are the ones hit the hardest. 

Personally, I can't see how anyone couldn't just want to run over to the screen and start kissing Jake!  LOL.      Damn, I need to wipe the lint of of my TV screen.   ::)

Yeah, I think that's the thing - either you fall in love with the characters or you don't.  They did both say that had they seen it in a theater and been alone in the dark with their thoughts and little to no distractions, they'd have probably picked up on the subtleties more.  And their observation about the first tent scene was somewhat different from the usual one - or they expanded enough on it that I could understand where they were coming from.  They said it wasn't that they didn't know each other well enough or long enough - of course they did.  But that they thought Jack was taking a *huge* chance coming on to Ennis like that, even drunk.  They just didn't see Ennis giving any indication to Jack prior to that that he was interested in anything more from him than friendship.  But again, they were distracted from time to time and didn't notice the subtle indications.  One of them said she was afraid he was gonna beat the hell out of him when he first jumped up like that.

And yeah, I don't get that, either.  I still laugh thinking about the guy on IMDb who said he really was a ranch hand in Wyoming and straight and that by the end of the movie he "wanted to kiss that guy."

They did at least come away from it saying they'd like to see all the lead actors in other things, now (they were particularly impressed with Michelle), so it must have made some impression.
No more beans!

Offline David

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 09:19:29 am »
Hi Barb,

Your friend was correct in saying it was a "Huge Chance" that Jack took.   And it happens in REAL life that way too.

Often it is just one person who feels the attraction and mistakes friendship for something more.     Trust me,  I made that same "Jack Twist" move in a tent with my best friend when we were both 19, and it backfired.   Fortunately he didn't beat the crap out of me,  he just declined, told me to go back to sleep and he rolled back over!   LOL

I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was embarrassed as hell.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:19:16 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 09:31:41 am »
Hi Barb,

Your friend was correct in saying it was a "Huge Chance" that Jack took.   And it happens in REAL life that way too.

Often it is just one person who feels the attraction and mistakes friendship for something more.     Trust me,  I made that same "Jack Twist" move in a tent with my best friend when we were both 19, and it backfired.   Fortunately he didn't beat the crap out of me,  he just declined, to me to go back to sleep and rolled back over!   LOL

I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was embarrassed as hell.

Sure, it does.  It's happened to me, too.  Backfired BIG time two different times and didn't the other.  (Sort of) ironically, one of the times it backfired turned out to be because he was gay.  So I'm one for three in making the first move.  Not a very admirable record, except maybe in baseball.
No more beans!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 10:06:25 am »
Wouldn't it be fun to just for one day be able to erase all your memories of the movie and the discussions surrounding it, and watch the movie for the first time again, without knowing ANYTHING about it, maybe then we would be able to understand non-Brokies! 

I did watch it without knowing anything about it (except it got a good review in the Seattle Times & had Jake in it).  And I left "dazed & confused", sleepless for 3 nights & a Brokie!

And I always yell at the screen during the Reunion kiss - "Why  not ME??!!"
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline David

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 10:22:04 am »
I did watch it without knowing anything about it (except it got a good review in the Seattle Times & had Jake in it).  And I left "dazed & confused", sleepless for 3 nights & a Brokie!

Same here.  I knew nothing about the movie when I saw it.   I left the theater not knowing if I wanted to cry or go into the alley and throw up.    :P

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 10:26:20 am »
Same here.  I knew nothing about the movie when I saw it.   I left the theater not knowing if I wanted to cry or go into the alley and throw up.    :P

Allow me to jump onto that bandwagon.  I felt like a deer (or elk?) in the headlights for two days, then had to will myself to stop crying at inopportune moments.

I'm glad that I'm far enough along in my process, though, to be able to hear any kind of criticism of this film and view it objectively.  Had I shown it to them two or three months ago and gotten the same reactions, I might no longer wish to speak to them.  Sad but true.  So at least I've made some progress!  ;)
No more beans!

Offline David

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 10:37:48 am »
I think I'm past the worst of it too.   Although watching the DVD is still kinda tough for me.   

As for peoples critisism,  I still am disappointed if people just shrug about it.   If they say they don't like it, I ask why.  Then if they say it was too sad, I understand and drop the subject.     Not everyone can appreciate a well written story, sad or not.    I also think some people have short attention spans.  My Mom has completely forgotten everything about BBM.   LOL.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 11:42:57 am »
I remember not comprehending why everyone didn't see/feel exactly what I did.  I raved to virtually everyone I saw & then I was upset with people's response.  Now I accept that some people just haven't dealt with fear or regret.  They just think it is a 'good' movie.

That's now ok w/ me.  Sort of... :-\
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 01:22:51 pm »
I remember not comprehending why everyone didn't see/feel exactly what I did.  I raved to virtually everyone I saw & then I was upset with people's response.  Now I accept that some people just haven't dealt with fear or regret.  They just think it is a 'good' movie.

Same here.  I still don't get it.  But I can accept it.  Barely.
No more beans!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 06:23:20 pm »

I'm still struggling with this.  I try very hard for it to be OK with me.  I know, intellectually, all the reasons we've discussed for why not everyone gets/or is ready for the message(s).  But I'm still at the point, particularly with closer friends, that I translate it as 'You don't get me, then, and maybe never have.'  ???  Sad, and probably too harsh, but it's how I feel.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

mvansand76

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 10:07:38 am »

Oh God, I had the same feeling, even though I had read about EVERYTHING there was to read about the movie before I saw it in January, had been on imdb.com from September. When the credits rolled I just sat there next to my sister. I walked out of the movie theater and my sister asked me what I was thinking, I just stared in the distance and told her to ask me again in a few minutes. I honestly could not talk about the movie, was just numb. That night I flew back to Amsterdam and at the airport the only thing I could do was stare some more into the distance. Then I got on the plane and started listening to the soundtrack on my iPod and the tears started streaming down my face, I was glad I had three seats to myself!  :'(

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 10:46:48 am »
I didn't want to see or talk to anyone for hours after seeing the movie for the first time. I was really hungry, and had to go get lunch (I went to a 10 am matinee, all the better for privacy, and better for the four-hour drive to the theater and home). It was an effort just to order a sandwich.

I was glad I had four hours alone in the car to process it afterwards. Just me, the car, the quiet, and the mountains rolling by...

(Is there anybody else who screams at the screen, but only in his/her head? I talk about yelling at the screen, but I'm still completely silent. And I would be hesitant to watch the DVD with anyone else, because it might distract me from my complete absorption in the story...)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 04:05:40 pm »
I would be hesitant to watch the DVD with anyone else, because it might distract me from my complete absorption in the story...)

I have, and it did. The third time I saw it, I went with a close friend. That was fine, but it was in the theater, and her first time seeing it. She ended up with a review DVD, saw it a few more times, and I have watched part of it a couple of times with her. But it is annoying and distracting. Despite her multiple viewings, my friend is not nearly as into the movie as I am, which inhibits my response to the particularly intense scenes. I find myself distracting myself, on purpose! All other times, I have seen it alone, which I infinitely prefer.

I don't shout at the screen, though, not even silently. It's like watching Groundhog Day -- seeing the same mistakes get made over and over, by Ennis particularly, and I keep hoping that someday he'll figure things out and make a different choice. But so far, he hasn't.

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 06:06:29 pm »
I do not talk to anyone other than on here about the movie.  I told my husband about how unbelivably sad and gut-wrenching the movie was.  He just looked at me so sad.  I watched the movie the 1st time and every time after alone.  I do not want to talk to anyone about it causally.  To me it is so much more than just a movie.  I went to work the day after I watched it and was it the most upseting mood.  I do not act like that at work.  I was confused, depressed, sad all at the same time.  My husband and children were at my in-laws for a few days for summer and when I talked to him the night after I watched it I cried like a baby.  He was worried and upset.  I thought, How can I tell him that I am miserable and upset over a movie.  I will only watch it alone and I have the DVD hidden in a drawer.  Isn't that sad?  I hide it like Jack and Ennis had to hide.  Not because I am ashamed, but because it is my own special bond with them.  I do not want to share them with anyone I know. 

I just want to scream at the final lake scene, Jack, do not let him leave.  Then I tell Ennis, Tell him you love him.  Just move out to the middle of no where and be together.  It is the saddest thing I have ever witnessed.  Everytime I watch it is so hard.  Especially the nuzzle flashback.  How unbelivable to love someone so much and not be together.  What a sad society we lived in and still live in.
I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 10:22:07 pm »
This thread seems to have got off track a bit from the original subject, but I have been enthralled at the responses telling us about the first time they saw the movie.....because once again, I am finding out that the similarities between how you felt and how i felt are so much the same, in fact, identical.

Let me tell you about my first time.......it started off actually a couple of weeks before....I had met a lady on internet chat, and we connected very well with each other because we discussed our mutual "bi-curiosity", with one another....we live close by, so had met for coffee a couple of times, but we didnt act on our attraction to one another, and nothing became physical with each other.....every time we had talked though, we had said that as soon as Brokeback mountain came to the local theatre, we would definately go and see it together.....I thought that watching a movie together, with a gay theme, might encourage some intimacy between us....

Neither of us knew much about it....excepte the term "gay cowboy movie"....neither of us had read the book....we had just read a few reviews in the newspaper.

Well, we watched the movie, not saying a word thru it, and when we came outside the theatre, I asked her what she thought....and she said "Yeah, it was good"....and she asked me, what did  I think...and I just couldnt find any words to describe what I was feeling...I kept running my fingers thru my hair, like i was feeling a bit agitated, i kept shaking my head, thinking, "what do I say", I really couldnt find any words to describe what I was feeling....then I finally said to her "I gotta go away and think about this, and work out what the hell i am feeling"......

She got in her car, and I got in my car, and that was it....I just wanted to be alone...I had a half hour drive to get home, and I talked to myself the whole way home.....and I kept saying to myself.."Why is that movie affecting me like this, How is the movie affecting me, What am I thinking about that makes me feel so different".....I had an overwhelming feeling of sadness, i drove, and I cried.....I forgave people in my life for things that I had never forgiven them for.....i yelled out loud..."I forgive you".....I thought of people that I love and said "I love you".....I thought about how life could be so cruel.

Same here.  I knew nothing about the movie when I saw it.   I left the theater not knowing if I wanted to cry or go into the alley and throw up.    :P

If ever a quote describes how I felt, this one does.

As far as the relationship with my new friend, well, we chatted again a few times after seeing the movie, but she didnt seem to want to dwell on the movie too much, when all I wanted to do was talk to her about it....and consequently, we ran out of things to talk about, and eventually, the chats got less and less, and now we dont communicate anymore.

I gathered a few other friends together for my next viewing at the theatre, thinking that surely, at least one of them would feel the same way as I did, give me someone to talk to about it, and how I was feeling....out of the five friends I went with (all straight women)...it was my sister in law who cried and came out of the theatre, feeling the wretched sadness, and although she didnt become obsessed like I did, at least she allowed me to indulge in my obsessiveness with her, and she would sit and listen to me.

It was after that, that I searched and found BBM message board, and was overwhelmed that there were all these people talking about everything I wanted to talk about......like a group therapy thing.....I was not alone....IT did not just happen to me....

My sister in law went with me a second time to see the movie at the theatre, and then I went the fourth and last time on my own....and I prefer to watch the DVD on my own too now....I forced my husband to sit and watch it with me, but I think he had got so sick of me talking about it, he could not enjoy it like I would have hoped he would.

Now, its just ME, my DVD and my MESSAGE BOARD.....

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 06:29:28 am »

I just want to scream at the final lake scene, Jack, do not let him leave.  Then I tell Ennis, Tell him you love him.  Just move out to the middle of no where and be together.  It is the saddest thing I have ever witnessed.  Everytime I watch it is so hard.  Especially the nuzzle flashback.  How unbelivable to love someone so much and not be together.  What a sad society we lived in and still live in.

That is beautifully put and yes, this scene also makes me feel so helpless, it makes me want to jump through the screen, the flashback scene is almost too much to bear....

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 09:35:16 am »
That is beautifully put and yes, this scene also makes me feel so helpless, it makes me want to jump through the screen, the flashback scene is almost too much to bear....

I agree.  It literally makes my stomach churn and feel like it's getting all tied up in knots (I seem to feel everything the most there) every time I watch it.  And yet it's like a crime or car accident scene - I can't look away.  I just feel wretched afterwards, and the only thing that cures it just a little bit is watching Alma Jr.'s face open up like a flower when her Daddy finally doesn't let her down - doesn't let someone down - for the first time in his adult life.
No more beans!