Author Topic: Gift of Exile - first fanfic  (Read 92977 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Gift of Exile - first fanfic
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2007, 12:46:15 pm »
Marge,

Wonderful timing.  I saw Louise's rec for this recently and read all 19 chapters in one sitting.  Wish I'd found this one earlier - but, then again, it was a real treat to read all the chapters at once. The high praise for this fic is well-deserved.   I've been floating along on this lovely, spiritual journey.

And the pictures are great.  I like having those specific images in my mind as I'm reading.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2007, 02:41:42 am »
Just checking in.  Nice story!  I'll be up by Lake Michigan next week and be reminded of it, I'm sure.  Can't wait for more.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2008, 03:09:48 pm »
It's been so long since an update, I'm sure plenty of people assumed I just never finished, but it's just been a long, slow process getting into this second half of the story.  Chapter 21 is up, and Chapter 22 about half finished so that shouldn't be long, I promise -- but I won't make the mistake of promising a specific date again.  I'm shooting for the next week or so.  Chapter 21 is posted at http://talkstocoyotes.livejournal.com/6434.html 

As far as physical appearance is concerned, David is based on an actor in the U.K. named Hans Matheson.  Hans was born in 1975, and David is supposed to be 36 at the time of Alma Junior's wedding (in 1985); so an adjustment for age does need to be made!

As Nero

Mordred in Mists of Avalon

Yuri Zhivago in a TV remake of Doctor Zhivago, 2002

Here’s the Belle River, which was renamed the Walter J. McCarthy during the 1990s. The industrial area to the left is part of the Duluth harbor and waterfront, which would be a little to the west of David’s house.

Walter J McCarthy and the Aerial Bridge

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2008, 03:37:43 pm »
Oh!! GREAT news about the update.  :)  :)

David looks good, nice pics. Can't say anymore cause I'm *off to read*  :D  :D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2008, 03:45:57 pm »
Yay!  Thanks for the pics  - he fits perfectly with how I pictured David. 

*Off to read* with Fabienne!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2008, 12:38:34 pm »
Chapter 22 is posted - http://talkstocoyotes.livejournal.com/6843.html

Ennis finally confides in David about Jack, which actually comes as something of a surprise to him. 

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2008, 09:58:24 am »
That was a beautiful chapter!

I loved all the food info. I'm not sure I'd enjoy a helping of Lutefisk though! LOL  ;D

And Ennis marveling at the fact that people go for walks just for fun! How very Ennis!

The end was moving. The fact that Ennis starting talking about Jack without noticing it, shows how comfortable he's getting.

Thank you for continuing this story. I love it.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2008, 12:22:12 pm »
Thank you! This chapter did seem kind of "foody" but Ennis holding up his end in that kind of conversation, even if he's still as un-chatty as ever, is a kind of indication of his getting more established in this household, new as it all still is. And what story based in Minnesota could be without at least one lutefisk reference?   ;D

There is a point in grieving for a loved person who's died where you suddenly find yourself thinking about them just as the person you knew -- i.e., some funny remark, shared experience, some little quirk or fault -- and that this kind of reference point, for the first time, has at least temporarily crowded out the loss. It isn't a matter of loving the person less, just that the loss has become a part of your own life rather than an outside force that's derailed it.

I don't know if I'm making that completely clear, but it's at least part of what Jack had in mind when he told Ennis to find a memory of him that he could laugh about.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2008, 11:44:59 am »
Thank you! This chapter did seem kind of "foody" but Ennis holding up his end in that kind of conversation, even if he's still as un-chatty as ever, is a kind of indication of his getting more established in this household, new as it all still is. And what story based in Minnesota could be without at least one lutefisk reference?   ;D

There is a point in grieving for a loved person who's died where you suddenly find yourself thinking about them just as the person you knew -- i.e., some funny remark, shared experience, some little quirk or fault -- and that this kind of reference point, for the first time, has at least temporarily crowded out the loss. It isn't a matter of loving the person less, just that the loss has become a part of your own life rather than an outside force that's derailed it.

I don't know if I'm making that completely clear, but it's at least part of what Jack had in mind when he told Ennis to find a memory of him that he could laugh about.

Just wanted to say thanks for the update, and that I understand [and agree with] the point you are making above.
 :)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2008, 12:42:42 pm »
Chapter 23 is up at http://talkstocoyotes.livejournal.com/7306.html .  I'll do my best to get Chapter 24 finished as soon as possible.  Sorry about the long gaps between postings, the chapters seem to have decided on a timetable all its own.  This and Chapter 24 center around the progress of Ennis' and David's relationship.  Ennis will move into still more uncharted territory after that, and hopefully these chapters won't take as long as this one.

Here are some photos of various parts of the Park Point trail, and more pictures can be found at http://www.duluthbudgeteer.com/photography/includes/gallery.cfm?id=29&forumcomm_check_return

Thanks to everyone reading for their patience!    :)

The beach and dune portions of the trail, with beachgoers' "driftwood art"

The trail's forested section, including a straightaway occasionally used for cross-country skiing during the winter