Author Topic: Terry Gilliam denies distribution glitch for final Heath Ledger film  (Read 2120 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Terry Gilliam denies distribution glitch for final Heath Ledger film

The director has hit back at claims that The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, which features Heath Ledger's last performance, is struggling to secure a US release

Terry Gillam has denied that his film The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, which features Heath Ledger's final performance, is struggling to secure a distribution deal for release in US cinemas.

The former Monty Python said the film, which was incomplete when Ledger died from an accidental drug overdose in January last year, would open in the autumn.

"There's this story running round that has absolutely no basis in truth at all," said Gilliam. "It started from a little blog and it's all over the place but it's good, it gives us free publicity."

The film-maker said he was pleased with the final version of the movie, which enlisted Jude Law, Colin Farrell and Johnny Depp to play different versions of Ledger's character.

"It was very difficult but somehow we got adrenaline going and everybody was so determined to make it work and we did it and it ended up in some ways a more extraordinary film because of that," he said.

"The main thing is that it really works and that was what I was concerned about and I can say, hand on heart, that it's really good. I just didn't want to waste any moment of Heath in life or on screen and that's Parnassus."

In August the Hollywood Reporter had said that Gilliam was struggling to overcome his reputation as a maverick who hasn't had a box-office hit since 1995's Twelve Monkeys.

Failure to secure a theatrical release would be a disappointment for Ledger's family, who gave Dr Parnassus their backing at the Oscars last month, where the star was named best supporting actor for his performance in The Dark Knight.

His sister, Kate, said: "We've seen a little bit of footage and I think it's going to be amazing. Terry Gilliam is amazing and Heath always had such an interest in whatever Terry was doing."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/mar/31/heath-ledger-terry-gilliam-imaginarium-of-doctor-parnassus
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Terry Gilliam denies distribution glitch for final Heath Ledger film
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:04:35 pm »
Thanks for enlightening us!
"chewing gum and duct tape"