Author Topic: The Other Trips  (Read 2388 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
The Other Trips
« on: July 27, 2006, 02:22:26 am »
In the 20 years following Brokeback Jack and Ennnis met up in the mountians of Wyoming at least 40 times, hopefully even more. We were only invited on four of them counting the one following the reunion. An earlier screen play shows a few more, ( but nothing inside the tent, more than fair trade off ).  What do you think happened or was discussed on those other trips?
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • BBM - The Steven edition
Re: The Other Trips
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 06:20:56 am »
Nothing much of substance was discussed, it would seem, going by the fact that it takes Ennis over 4 years before he tells Jack anything about Cassie...

I'm pretty sure though that with all that pent-up longing, during their trips they were all over each other all of the time.  :-*
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 07:01:11 am »
Interesting question.  :) I somehow get the impression that the other trips are quite a bit different in the short story and film, respectively.

In the short story, I get the impression that J&E talked about their everyday lives as those developed - discussed wives, kids, jobs as a matter of course. I base my impression mainly on the one scene where they are gearing up for sex while talking about Bobby's dyslexia and Ennis's daughters.  Seems like these are no unusual topics between the two of them. There's an easy familiarity in that scene both when it comes to what they *say* and what they *do*. And when Ennis talks about dating the woman who works part-time at the bar in Signal, I don't get any impression that he's been keeping deliberately mum on this subject - just that it's a new development since last time they met. And of course, the "brilliant chage" of their sex life never changed - so little doubt what else they got up to on their infrequent meet-ups. Thank God. :)

While in the film, I get the impression they skirt about the topic of their everyday lives much more carefully. I think that they rather talk about nature and the hunting and horses that kind of thing, things directly related to their time together and to their time on Brokeback, - keeping their time together more separated from their Riverton/Childress lives, by being careful about what they say about the latter. Because it seems in the film that every time they *do* talk about their "ordinary" lives, it turns into a a big deal that puts them on edge, leads to quarrels and/or makes them very uncomfortable and dissatisfied with what they share and would like to share. For instance; "Shut up about Alma - it's not her fault", the "You and Lureen - it's normal and all? / She don't ever suspect?" talk. And it is true that the  "Been putting the blocks to..." tale, coming after Ennis has dated Cassie for 3 - 4 years, seems to indicate they don't talk much about their private "at home" lives.

And on the basis of the film alone, when it comes to what they *do* on their meetings, over the years it increasingly seems they get together solely to ride horses, camp out in nature, prepare food over an open fire, and sit well apart from each other while drinking whiskey. Until Jack bemoans the scarcity of the "high-altitude fucks" at their very last meeting, there's too little passion and open affection and tenderness shown, and it doesn't seem as if their sex life is particularly active. That's the one serious quibble I do have with the film - and where I choose to let the short story be my guiding star in imagining and adding in what we don't get to see in the film concerning the many "unfilmed" meetings.  (And one reason why I very much would like to seee those deleted scenes, since several of them have the boys embracing / being affectionate in their last scenes costumes......)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 02:09:38 pm by Mikaela »

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 04:38:23 pm »
Interesting question.  :) I somehow get the impression that the other trips are quite a bit different in the short story and film, respectively.

And on the basis of the film alone, when it comes to what they *do* on their meetings, over the years it increasingly seems they get together solely to ride horses, camp out in nature, prepare food over an open fire, and sit well apart from each other while drinking whiskey. Until Jack bemoans the scarcity of the "high-altitude fucks" at their very last meeting, there's too little passion and open affection and tenderness shown, and it doesn't seem as if their sex life is particularly active. That's the one serious quibble I do have with the film - and where I choose to let the short story be my guiding star in imagining and adding in what we don't get to see in the film concerning the many "unfilmed" meetings.  (And one reason why I very much would like to seee those deleted scenes, since several of them have the boys embracing / being affectionate in their last scenes costumes......)
Yes for the deleeted scenes. There still sitting pretty close in the last campout, we don't see but they could be touching knees with  their leg movements. I think we are shown just enough of the private moments of Jack and Ennis, to know what isn't shown. The warmth and passion is still there, Ennis's arm around Jack, smiles around the fire, etc. I used to think I was robed of the last moments of Jack and Ennis together (hug to the truck) ,but you know Jack would not let go of Ennis until he was ready and gently give all the time he needed to compose himself and even we know this without seeing Jack watch Ennis drive away. This their most private time remains theirs alone.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 06:35:19 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 12:34:12 pm »

For me, that was one of the major flaws in the film. I didn't think it necessary for them to show some hot sex scene or love scene for every trip (though I wouldn't have minded!!  ;D ) but with the passage of so much time being indicated, it seemed so out of sync with the early part of the film. I almost started wondering why either of them would bother to lie about anything - what you mostly saw them doing was ride horses and bicker. The movie would have been vastly improved with just one "bridging" scene; although the single shot of them in the tent was so moving under the circumstances: the last night the two of them ever spent together. IMO it wouldn't detract from the "snapshot" format of that part of the movie either.

If a special-edition DVD with deleted scenes is ever released, I'd play hookey from work for a day just to watch it the day I get it!