Author Topic: HEATH WILL PLAY THE JOKER IN BATMAN BEGINS SEQUEL!  (Read 23433 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: HEATH WILL PLAY THE JOKER IN BATMAN BEGINS SEQUEL!
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2006, 04:46:33 pm »
I don't think you have to worry about Heath doing an Elijah Wood and being so disturbing that he's unwatchable, Mikaela and Meryl

No, I don't worry about that. I've come to realize that I'm not by far as worried about the possible level of "evilness" in Heath's role as I'm worried that he'll make a fool of himself and look plain silly.  :o

I caught part of that Batman film where Jack Nicholson played the Joker on some TV channel once, and that character wasn't scary - he seemed like an embarrassing charicature to me. (But I seldom watch that kind of movie, I don't find them especially entertaining or interesting; - it's a cultural trait that such films are by and large only watched by the teen segment here.) Anyway, bearing the Nicholson Joker in mind, I don't look forward to Heath looking and behaving like that. I know they will throw some sort of new spin on this role version, including the makeup and the crazed behaviour, but the main characteristics will remain, won't they? How scary can something like that *be*?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2006, 05:48:43 pm »
Anyway, bearing the Nicholson Joker in mind, I don't look forward to Heath looking and behaving like that. I know they will throw some sort of new spin on this role version, including the makeup and the crazed behaviour, but the main characteristics will remain, won't they? How scary can something like that *be*?

Here's what I'm hoping. The objective of the first Batman Begins seems to have been to portray Batman as a regular person who endured some disturbing experiences (including his parents' murder) and so decided to become a mysterious crime-fighter (yeah, yeah, I know, doesn't everybody do that after a disturbing experience?). He's a regular mortal who doesn't have superpowers, and it shows him methodically inventing the various gadgets he uses in his work. It's sort of an attempt to demystify Batman and make him into an interesting three-dimensional character rather than a comic-book caricature.

I would say they were somewhat successful in pulling it off. The villain, BTW, was Cillian Murphy, and he was also depicted as a scary and deranged but regular person who as I recall only dressed up in costume to freak people out, after giving them mind-altering drugs.

So I'm hoping they will treat the Joker the same way. I have no idea how you could be a regular person and also be The Joker. But maybe they'll find a way. That's about the best we can hope for, I think.

To be honest, the whole thing does make me nervous. I have no problem with the Batman concept in general. And though I like Christian Bale, I don't mind ogling him -- I mean, seeing him -- as Batman. In fact, I thought he was pretty good. But I don't feel very personally attached to Christian Bale.

Nicholson as The Joker worked because we're used to seeing Nicholson in hammy roles, playing some exaggerated, tongue-in-cheek figure who is basically a caricature of himself. He can be a serious, subtle, effective actor too, but that's not central to his public persona. His image is of a bemused, shades-wearing, hipsterish, laid-back, defiantly aging bad-boy megastar, and he frequently exploits that image in his roles. I can see someone like, say, Owen Wilson becoming that type as he gets older.

But Heath hasn't established that kind of ironic and self-mocking persona -- in fact, I doubt he ever will; he seems too shy and serious in real life. Besides, I have all kinds of extra sensitivity when it comes to Heath. For Pete's sake, I haven't been able to bring myself to see Casanova yet!  :laugh:

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2006, 06:01:29 pm »
The objective of the first Batman Begins seems to have been to portray Batman as a regular person who endured some disturbing experiences ...

Oh no! I know where this discussion will eventually be leading.... to  me deciding I have to see this one to figure out if the next one, with Heath's Joker and all, may possibly be worthwhile!  ;D

But seriously, you manage to make the Batman begins film sound quite interesting..... Well done!

For Pete's sake, I haven't been able to bring myself to see Casanova yet!

Now this makes me curious. Why can't you bring yourself to see it? There's various interesting perks to peruse; Venice is utterly lovely. Heath is definitely cute. His and Sienna Miller's lack of chemistry is monumental and must be seen to be believed. All the gags and humour that fizzle out into nothingness are unnumbered and keep you eternally surprised. What's not to love?  ;)

In all honesty, I think Casanova is a relaxing couple of hours' romp. Could have been *so* much better, but is by no means abysmal. And Heath *is* cute as long as he's keeping himself out of those powdered wigs.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2006, 06:28:09 pm »
Now this makes me curious. Why can't you bring yourself to see it? There's various interesting perks to peruse; Venice is utterly lovely. Heath is definitely cute.

I know. If I'd seen it before BBM, I'm sure I would have liked it.

I remember watching the trailer and thinking, Who IS that guy? He looks really familiar. Oh yeah, Heath Ledger. Well, he looks pretty cute there. And Sienna Miller is cute too, and always so fashionable in real life. I was just in Venice, so it would be fun to see it on film. I'll go see that one for sure!

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance before seeing BBM. And now ... I'm just ultra-sensitive about seeing Heath as anyone other than Ennis. I can hardly stand to watch him as himself!

As for Batman, I hope I didn't oversell it. Partly I'm influenced by what I think the filmmakers were trying to achieve. I wish they would have pushed it a little more, in fact -- made it grittier and even more realistic and abandoned all obligations to the superhero genre. But they gave it a good try.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2006, 04:57:07 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2006, 05:08:29 pm »
Oh, Clarissa,
That is too scary to even entertain.
I fear he just may be made up like that.
Oh, the horror...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2006, 06:16:36 pm »

Clarissa, go to your room, and don't come down until you're ready to behave politely to your fellow Heathens!    :o >:(   ;)  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2006, 06:20:57 pm »
Clarissa, go to your room, and don't come down until you're ready to behave politely to your fellow Heathens!    :o >:(   ;)  ;D

Believe me, I wasn't a gonna post this on the Heath Heath Heath thread (though Paul did, and pinned the rap on me).  And also, it now occurs to me to say I found this and did not create it.  There was a link to it on the IMDb Heath board.  I am distancing myself, see?

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2006, 07:02:00 pm »
Erm.....  Is it just me who finds that manip strangely fascinating? Quite intrieguing, even - that mix of delightfully happy boyishness and weird, unabashed madness?

I actually find that manip to be a surprisingly good sell for Heath as the Joker. 

:o :o :o :o :o

**slinks away, astounded and confounded at self**

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2006, 08:22:05 pm »
Believe me, I wasn't a gonna post this on the Heath Heath Heath thread (though Paul did, and pinned the rap on me).  And also, it now occurs to me to say I found this and did not create it.  There was a link to it on the IMDb Heath board.  I am distancing myself, see?

That's not an excuse, Missy!  And as for Mikaela, I've made her an appointment with the school psychologist for tomorrow.  Gah, fangirls!  ::)  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...