Author Topic: The New Star Trek Movie  (Read 40103 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The New Star Trek Movie
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 09:55:10 am »

It was your comment ("improbably handsome") that did it!

I guess the Arrow Shirt Man was improbably handsome, wasn't he?

In my choice of words I was channeling an early review I had read of Brokeback that described Heath and Jake as "improbably handsome" as Ennis and Jack.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 10:10:58 am »

"Why didn't I think of that?!"

Deffinatly Betty White, in the Rose Nyland character, "Oh now Spock, you'll catch your death!"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 10:13:22 am »
In my choice of words I was channeling an early review I had read of Brokeback that described Heath and Jake as "improbably handsome" as Ennis and Jack.

They were. More improbable as Wyoming ranch hands than Chris Pine as Kirk. Starship captains usually are handsome.

BTW Jeff, why do you say he comes from "good acting stock"? Is he related to someone?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 10:27:44 am »
They were. More improbable as Wyoming ranch hands than Chris Pine as Kirk. Starship captains usually are handsome.

BTW Jeff, why do you say he comes from "good acting stock"? Is he related to someone?

I've never had the pleasure of meeting a starship captain, so I wouldn't know about that.  ;D

Chris Pine's father is Robert Pine, who I would say has never been a "star," really, but you might consider him a "yeoman actor" who's been working in the business for probably something like 40 years. To me Robert Pine is most memorable for having played Sgt. Getraer, Ponch and Jon's boss on CHiPs on TV more years ago than I care to remember. I looked him up on IMdB last week. The Pine name made me curious to know if they are related.

Added: Here's a link to Robert Pine's entry at IMdB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0683986/bio
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 10:38:20 am »
Added: Here's a link to Robert Pine's entry at IMdB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0683986/bio

Thanks, Jeff.

It's funny that the profile doesn't provide a list of his acting credits. Is IMDb phasing those out in order to get people to go IMDbPro? Or is Robert Pine just a bit too obscure to warrant anyone compiling them, or what?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 12:05:15 pm »
Thanks, Jeff.

It's funny that the profile doesn't provide a list of his acting credits. Is IMDb phasing those out in order to get people to go IMDbPro? Or is Robert Pine just a bit too obscure to warrant anyone compiling them, or what?

Oops, somehow it appears I linked to the mini biography and not to the main page of the Robert Pine entry. His filmography is still there. If you go to the link I posted and then click on his name, in little type in the upper left corner, that's a link back to the main entry, which lists his credits.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 12:13:40 pm »
Oh, OK. And here, for the record, is a picture of the guy, since IMDb doesn't provide one:

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 02:18:27 pm »

http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/real-live-astronauts-are-watching-star-trek-in-outer-space-right-now/?hp

Real Live Astronauts are Watching
‘Star Trek’   in Outer Space - Right Now

Paramount Pictures
The bridge of the Enterprise in the new “Star Trek”  film

By Rebecca Cathcart
May 15, 2009, 6:52 pm

Right about now in outer space, three men are crouched in a node of the International Space Station, watching J.J. Abrams’ reboot of “Star Trek”  on a laptop. They chose the node, said NASA spokeswoman Nicole Cloutier, because it was “dark and quiet” and would be “a good spot” for three “Star Trek”  fans to hunker down for the ultimate viewing experience.

“They just ended their crew day,” said Ms. Cloutier, “so they’re watching it now, or just finishing it up. They can go all day without seeing each other, so this is a good chance to get together.”

Michael Barratt, the American astronaut, requested the film before boarding a space-bound shuttle in March, said Ms. Cloutier. He told NASA officials that he was a lifelong admirer of the TV series and did not want to miss this latest big-screen installment while off-planet. It was beamed up to them - really - after being reformatted by NASA technicians in a five-hour procedure Thursday night and beamed up Friday morning.

Mr. Barratt, 50, Russian cosmonaut Gennady Padalka, 50, and Koichi Wakata, 46, of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency settled into the node, named “Unity,” after dinner and secured their feet with floor straps to keep from floating during the screening, she said.

They are the 19th crew since 2000 to put in time at the International Space Station, which is a series of large modules connected by smaller nodes. Getting together for a “movie night,” she added, was a tradition on the station.

Mr. Barrat said in a press release that the original series inspired him to become an astronaut and would be a perfect film selection for the space station.

‘Star Trek’  blended adventure, discovery, intelligence and storytelling that assumes a positive future for humanity,” he said. “The International Space Station is a real step in that direction, with many nations sharing in an adventure the world can be proud of.”
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 08:10:51 pm »

OK, I am not now, nor have I ever been (nor am I likely to become) a Trekkie, but I still find it vaguely disturbing that this photo appears to give the world a James T. Kirk so young that he still has a bad case of acne. ...  Tongue
-------------------------------------------------

The marks you have on his face, is not acne, but the results of a fight with about five guys by himself.

Beautiful mind

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 08:13:16 pm »
When I first heard about this movie, I went "WTF". I really hated the idea of them trying to replace Nimoy, Shatner etc with younger actors. But I went to see it after I'd read a very positive review that peaked my interest.

I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm very glad that the director focuses on the Kirk/Spock relationship, because to me, that has always been the glue that bound the the original series together. I also really was impressed with the often dark tone cause it felt like the director really wanted to do Star Trek for real, not just some phony copy of it. After only a few minutes into the movie I already found myself fully accepting the new actors as younger versions of Spock and Kirk. It's like the guy playing Spock was born to do it.
Nimoys appearance was of course a gigantic crowd-pleaser and lent the movie a kind of epic Star Wars feel to it.
I didn't especially miss Shatner, because Spock has in my mind always been the most interesting character. But I wouldn't mind see the Nimoy/Shatner meet again on the silver screen. But I doubt we'll ever see that; is the director really willing to take the chance that they completely steal the movie? He might, but I doubt it.

The one thing that went through my mind as I left the IMAX theater was: Star Trek is back! Hallelujah!