Author Topic: Little Ashes: new film about early, gay love affairs of Salvador Dali  (Read 26489 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Heya,

I saw a little segment about this new film (to be released on May 8, 2009) on E!News the other day.  So, I did some googling and thought I'd post this here.

It's called Little Ashes and stars Robert Pattinson (of Twilight fame) as a very young Salvador Dali and seems to focus on very early affairs Dali had with some young men including a filmmaker named Luis Buñuel and particularly a writer named Federico García Lorca.

From the clips shown on E!, it appears that there are some pretty steamy scenes in this film.

Here's the link to the imdb page about it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104083/

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Little Ashes: new film about early, gay love affairs of Salvador Dali
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:45:45 pm »
OMG!  This is too funny.  I've been trying to remember the title of this film for the last half hour or so!  I was on that April Fool's thread about an upcoming "Gorgeous Gay Film" with known actors and it reminded me that there really IS an upcoming "Gorgeous Gay Film" with known actors.  But although I could visualize the poster I couldn't remember the title or who was in it.  How could I forget that it stars Robert Pattinson!  I fell in love with him only two days ago when i watched TWILIGHT (Terrible movie, but I enjoyed every second of it thanks to dreamy mister P :laugh:)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:50:43 pm »
OMG!  This is too funny.  I've been trying to remember the title of this film for the last half hour or so!  I was on that April Fool's thread about an upcoming gay film with known actors and it reminded me that there really IS an upcoming Gay film with known actors.  But although I could visualize the poster I couldn't remember the title or who was in it.  How could I forget that it stars Robert Pattinson!  I fell in love with him only two days ago when i watched TWILIGHT (Terrible movie, but I enjoyed every second of it thanks to dreamy mister P :laugh:)

I've never seen Twilight, but I do remember him as Cedric in Harry Potter.  Anyway, I think it's good casting... at least physically he resembles a young Dali I think.

I don't really know enough about his acting ability to be able to say more than that.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 06:52:25 pm »
Here's a link to the movie's website:

http://www.littleashes-themovie.com/

Offline oilgun

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:02:50 pm »
I've never seen Twilight, but I do remember him as Cedric in Harry Potter.  Anyway, I think it's good casting... at least physically he resembles a young Dali I think.

I don't really know enough about his acting ability to be able to say more than that.

I didn't even know he was in the Harry Potter films!  That sure explains his instant huge fanbase of t(w)eens a little better.

What he lacks in acting ability, if he does indeed lack something, he more than makes up in screen presence, he's very charismatic.  He had to deliver some potentially embarrassing scenes & dialogue in Twilight but he came out completely unscathed.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:11:41 pm »

FWIW (regardless of how successful this new films ends up being), I give him props for choosing to take on this much more serious/ sophisticated and potentially challenging subject on the heels of the teen movies.

LOL, and also FWIW, I really like the Harry Potter books and movies.  I find them fun and I kind of think of them as a guilty/ silly pleasure.
:)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 07:41:35 pm »

http://twilight-movie.org/2009/03/15/javier-beltran-talks-about-filming-a-scene-with-robert-pattinson/
Javier Beltran recently made the cover of Out, where he talked a bit filming a sexual scene with Robert Pattinson. If you may recall, in his GQ article Rob talked about his sexual scenes with Beltran in their upcoming movie Little Ashes. They played Salvador Dali and Federico Lorca in the film, which explores the homosexual relationship of the artist and poet. Here is what Javier has to say:

Said Beltran: “We didn’t have any problems with the sexuality. On the set it was less important than the emotions. The sex scenes are beautiful—tragic and painful.”

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 08:11:13 pm »
Sounds intriguing.  Thanks for posting, Amanda.  8)

I'll be curious to see if Robert Pattinson can bring this off.  Dali was quite a character, a LOT more colorful than Cedric or the Twilight vampire put together.  Maybe he has reserves we haven't seen yet.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 08:17:38 pm »
OMG!  This is too funny.  I've been trying to remember the title of this film for the last half hour or so!  I was on that April Fool's thread about an upcoming "Gorgeous Gay Film" with known actors and it reminded me that there really IS an upcoming "Gorgeous Gay Film" with known actors.  But although I could visualize the poster I couldn't remember the title or who was in it.  How could I forget that it stars Robert Pattinson!  I fell in love with him only two days ago when i watched TWILIGHT (Terrible movie, but I enjoyed every second of it thanks to dreamy mister P :laugh:)

Hey Gil, I saw Twilight three days ago, and was, unfortunately, not smitten.

However, I look forward to this film.  Dali has often been portrayed as a caricature of himself.   Perhaps this film, with Bunuel and Lorca, will show a different side. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:39:15 pm »

However, I look forward to this film.  Dali has often been portrayed as a caricature of himself.   Perhaps this film, with Bunuel and Lorca, will show a different side. 

Well, I think... at least in his mature career, Dali deliberately tried to project a caricature of himself or a totally exaggerated-type persona.  Performance or the projection of an eccentric personality was part of his project as an artist. I don't know much at all about Dali's early biography or how his career started out, but later on as an artist he had a reputation, and has a reputation within art history, of occasionally being a pretty unsavory guy.  If nothing else, it'll be interesting to learn a little bit more about how Dali's youth is portrayed.

LOL, I'll also say that while doing some googling earlier for some of the posts here in this thread, I came across some images from this film... that would well, make me blush to post them...
 :o

So, this will be a totally different kind of film for Pattinson.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:42:15 am »

You weren't mesmerized by Edward's intense smoldering stares?!   :laugh:
What about that scene in Science class where he is so overwhelmed by Bella's scent that he has to run out of class or else throw up, lol!  It's so romantic!  :laugh:

Why do the Cullens even go to school anyway?  They certainly don't look 17 so they could easily get away with holding down jobs (or not) instead of going through highschool over and over again.  I also don't like that this species of vampire isn't harmed by the sun's rays.  The only reason they avoid the sun is because it reveals their ridiculous glittering complexions.  :P  I know, I know, don't THINK!  It's a liability in this case..

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 08:45:50 am »
You weren't mesmerized by Edward's intense smoldering stares?!   :laugh:
What about that scene in Science class where he is so overwhelmed by Bella's scent that he has to run out of class or else throw up, lol!  It's so romantic!  :laugh:

Why do the Cullens even go to school anyway?  They certainly don't look 17 so they could easily get away with holding down jobs (or not) instead of going through highschool over and over again.  I also don't like that this species of vampire isn't harmed by the sun's rays.  The only reason they avoid the sun is because it reveals their ridiculous glittering complexions.  :P  I know, I know, don't THINK!  It's a liability in this case..

I have a feeling we could go way off-topic.  Maybe you could start a Twilight discussion in your blog?  Or here?  Is there one already?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 09:12:27 am »
Interesting movie!

Why this title?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 04:19:40 pm »
I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the movie comes out.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 03:09:06 am »

'Course not. 

Once smitten, twice shy.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 08:39:59 am »

'Course not. 

Once smitten, twice shy.

They can smite me any day. :)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 09:03:41 am »

Mmm, a Western Sandwich!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 09:44:44 am »
Anyone knows why this title: Little Ashes?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 12:09:17 pm »
Anyone knows why this title: Little Ashes?

From Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ashes

Title
The movie title is taken from Salvador Dalí's 1927-28 painting Cenicitas (Little Ashes). It was originally called The Birth of Venus, before being changed to Sterile Efforts and then finally Cenicitas. It was first displayed on 20 March 1929 in a Madrid exhibition. It was again displayed in his first solo exhibition in Paris in June 1931. The painting is currently in the Dalí collection of the Queen Sofia Art Centre in Madrid.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 01:13:54 pm »
that Dali mustache on Pattison looks terrible.

And I don't think he looks like Dali at all.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 01:31:37 pm »
that Dali mustache on Pattison looks terrible.

Well, FWIW I think the moustache looked terrible on Dali himself (and in some respects I think Dali intended it to look ridiculous).

Offline oilgun

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 08:45:54 pm »

"I look terrible you say?!  Am I not still dreeeeamy?!"

I found a review of the film and it's a good & informative read.  And it seems I may have been right about the title Little Ashes, being taken from something Lorca wrote:

http://www.gayblade.com/news0309_ashes.shtml

Excerpt from: Love & Art Rise From Little Ashes  by Chris Carpenter

While Dali and Bunuel gained immediate, worldwide attention for their works — thanks to the controversial 1928 film on which they collaborated, Un Chien Andalou — any mention or promotion of Garcia Lorca’s work was prohibited until 1953 by the Spanish government. Since then, however,Garcia Lorca has become regarded as one of Spain’s most beloved poets.

The love affair between Garcia Lorca and Dali was apparently ignited during a holiday they spent together in Dali’s hometown of Cadaques, Spain. While it is depicted in Little Ashes (the film’s title is taken from a poem Garcia Lorca wrote for Dali) as a chaste romance due to Garcia Lorca’s Catholic guilt and Dali’s sexually troubled past,* theirs was clearly a union of mind and heart.

Little Ashes is educational and sensual. Impressively directed by Paul Morrison (Solomon & Gaenor), it evokes the upper-class and sexually repressive atmosphere of E. M. Forster’s novel Maurice, as well as the poetry and passion of the film Like Water for Chocolate. The film’s intelligent, well-researched script is by first-time screenwriter Philippa Goslett.

* >:(  Doesn't look promising for man-on-man action, does it.  Repressed emotions can be pretty hot too, I suppose......again.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 10:50:48 pm »

* Doesn't look promising for man-on-man action, does it.  Repressed emotions can be pretty hot too, I suppose......again.

Thanks for posting that review Bud! It was interesting to read.

LOL, about steaminess... I recommend doing some Google image searches until you find the pics of the naked, underwater scene.  They actually showed a very brief clip of that on the E!News segment that I saw.  And, based on Javier Beltran's comment from the Out interview that (“We didn’t have any problems with the sexuality. On the set it was less important than the emotions. The sex scenes are beautiful—tragic and painful.”) there must be something. 

But, yes, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.  It could end up be terrible, but the whole subject of the film has at least caused me to become intrigued.  And, whether or not it's terrible, I still give Pattison props from doing something like this on the heels of the fluffier teen movies.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 11:28:09 pm »

Look! Charles and Sebastian. Uh, no, it's--

(What a hoot--I'm there! Amanda, thank you so much for bringing it to our "collective intelligences"!)

Little Ashes
OPENS

(I just have to say--there will be quite a lot of Brokies in NY 05/08/09....   ::) )

05/08/09 CA
Pasadena, Laemmle's Playhouse 7 673 E. Colorado, Pasadena

05/08/09 CA
San Francisco, Lumiere Theater 1572 California St. San Francisco

05/08/09 CA
Los Angeles, Laemmle Town Center 17200 Ventura Blvd.,Encino

05/08/09 CA
Los Angeles, Monica 4-Plex 1332 2nd Street, Santa Monica

05/08/09 CA
Los Angeles, Laemmle Sunset 5 8000 Sunset Blvd.  West Hollywood

05/08/09 IL
Chicago, Century Centre Cinema 2828 North Clark St., Chicago

05/08/09 NY
New York, Clearview Chelsea Cinemas 260 West 23rd St. NY

05/08/09 NY
New York, Sunshine Cinema 143 E. Houston St. NY

05/15/09 CA
Santa Barbara, Plaza De Oro Twin 371 S. Hitchcock Way, Sta Barbara

05/15/09 WA
Seattle, Landmark Theater TBD

05/22/09 CA
Monterey, Osio Plaza Theatre 350 Alvarado St. Monterey

05/22/09 MA
Boston, Kendall Square Cinema One Kendall Square, Cambridge

05/22/09 OR
Portland, Living Room Theaters 341 SW 10th Ave, Portland

05/29/09 CA
Santa Cruz, Nickelodeon 210 Lincoln St

05/29/09 DC
Washington DC, E Street Cinema 555 11th Street NW,  DC

05/29/09 FL
Ft. Lauderdale, Sunrise Gateway 1820 E. Sunrise Blvd.

05/29/09 MO
St. Louis, LandmarkTivoli Theatre  6350 Del Mar, St. Louis

06/05/09 CA
San Diego, Landmark Ken Cinema 4061 Adams Avenue

06/05/09 GA
Atlanta, Midtown Art Cinema 931 Monroe Drive, Atlanta

06/19/09 CO
Denver, Landmark Mayan 110 Broadway

06/26/09 AZ
Scottsdale, Harkins Camelview 7001 E Highland Ave

06/26/09 PA
Philadelphia, Ritz at the Bourse 400 Ranstead Street, Philadelphia

07/10/09 AZ
Tucson, The Loft Cinema 3233 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson

(I've posted some of this info in the Chrissi and Mikaela in NYC in May! Save your pennies... thread:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,32696.240.html )
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 03:54:28 am »

S'wonderful, s'marvelous, s'might be paradise.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 08:37:52 am »
S'wonderful, s'marvelous, s'might be paradise.

S'might be paradise to smite me with a smattering of smut.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 01:44:52 pm »
S'might be paradise to smite me with a smattering of smut.

Bravo!

Above is a fun pair of dice that are shaped like spheres, but work like ordinary cubical dice.  Each of the six "faces" lands up with equal probability, and they never come to rest halfway between two numbers.  The trick is that they are hollow, with an octahedron-shaped cavity that contains a ball bearing.  This weight lands in one of the six corners of the cavity, each of which lies under one of the six "faces".
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.georgehart.com/virtual-polyhedra/figs/dice-balls.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.georgehart.com/virtual-polyhedra/dice.html&usg=__HpkXBpfj1jLfpa2wYgQsG3NYYes=&h=245&w=403&sz=19&hl=en&start=30&sig2=wt8a_nfJ6xFVAF12R96aWg&tbnid=czGLJhI_0yI4CM:&tbnh=75&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpair%2Bof%2Bdice%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D18&ei=dhzmSajwOZnqtAPNv_ibBA

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 02:31:51 pm »

Bravo!

Above is a fun pair of dice that are shaped like spheres, but work like ordinary cubical dice.  Each of the six "faces" lands up with equal probability, and they never come to rest halfway between two numbers.  The trick is that they are hollow, with an octahedron-shaped cavity that contains a ball bearing.  This weight lands in one of the six corners of the cavity, each of which lies under one of the six "faces".

Hm, I'm not sure how this relates to Paul's comments, let alone to Dali/Little Ashes, but I have a pair of those dices! ;D

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 03:38:11 pm »

Digital Dali
Digital Dali rests on the edge of any horizontal surface.
The power cord can either run out of the back,
or from the bottom to be concealed by the tabletop.

> Design Forum 1995: Commended

http://normaldesign.net/normal/en/show.php?product=25

"Camping Out"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 01:58:18 am »

Hm, I'm not sure how this relates to Paul's comments, let alone to Dali/Little Ashes, but I have a pair of those dices! ;D

S'pair a dice!

That's cool you have a pair.  I've never seen them before, just found them googling "pair of dice."  Do they work?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 02:06:19 am »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 07:29:52 am »

S'pair a dice!

That's cool you have a pair.  I've never seen them before, just found them googling "pair of dice."  Do they work?

Yes, they work. But they are not very practical. They roll much better than regular dices (naturally), so they roll off the table much more often, and they need much longer to finally lay still so you can see which number it is. Gets boring.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 10:16:42 am »
[ Shouldn't it be HELLO DALAI?]  :)

I watch TWILIGHT again last night but this time with the Director and Cast Commentary.  Rob Pattinson is a little scamp!  All giggles and silliness, a real hoot.  Anyway, the movie LITTLE ASHES is mentioned.  At one point Bella has a dream where she is being bitten by Edward who looks like a more stereotypical vampire.  It's just a quick image really, but in the commentary Kristin says to Rob "You look just like in LITTLE ASHES".

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 02:43:21 am »
[ Shouldn't it be HELLO DALAI?]  :)

Absolutely.  I was irked by that too.  Still, it had a certain je ne sais quoi:)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 11:39:39 am »
Here are some excerpts from the Rob Pattinson GQ interview. [Bolding and bracketed comments with "- og",  are mine]. It confirms my suspicion that LITTLE ASHES was a pre-TWILIGHT project:

[...]
In the books, Edward refuses to go all the way with Bella, fearing he’ll vamp out in the heat of passion, but because he’s a 107-year-old vampire, he’s got seduction game like no 17-year-old alive. The story fuses the bodice-ripping True Love Never Dies sensuality of the vampire mythos with the True Love Waits ethos of Bush-era abstinence education; it’s a heavy-breathing romance in which all physical affection represents a slippery slope to horrible undeath.
[Unrelated to LITTLE ASHES, just another reason to dislike TWILIGHT-og]

[...]

Pattinson hasn’t shot anything new since Twilight wrapped. He won’t be in front of the camera again until this spring, when he starts shooting the next Twilight movie, New Moon, due out in November. But in the meantime, he’ll show up as young Salvador Dalí in a period drama called Little Ashes, about the pre-fame bromance between Dalí, director Luis Buñuel, and poet Federico García Lorca.

Pattinson auditioned for the movie two years ago, during a post–Harry Potter, pre-Twilight career lull. He’d been thinking about putting acting aside to focus on music.
[Gawd, not another one!-og] (Two of his songs, including the Jeff Buckley–ish ballad “Never Think,” appear on the Twilight soundtrack.)

He’d read for the Lorca part, but when they asked him to play Dalí, he said yes. “I wanted to have a vacation in Spain,” he says. “But it became just—really, really hard. I’d never done a job that was so hard.”

There was no budget. Most of the crew spoke Spanish; Pattinson didn’t. He spent a lot of time by himself, trying to figure out how to play the part, worried he’d look like an idiot. (For what it’s worth, all that effort is up there on the screen. Pattinson’s Dalí starts out as a walleyed, puffy-shirted Simple Jack type before morphing into the twirly-mustachioed culture-hero Dalí of dorm-room-poster fame. It’s one of those movies in which you can tell Dalí’s having an aesthetic breakthrough because he starts pressing really hard when he paints.)

“In a lot of ways,” Pattinson says, “I was kind of crossing lines of what I thought I was comfortable doing. I had to do all this naked stuff.”
See, Little Ashes contains a fair amount of homoerotic activity, some of which is portrayed artfully and obliquely (Dalí and Lorca dive together in a moonlit sea) and some of which is, y’know, not (Lorca makes athletic, spiteful love to a woman while Dalí masturbates gloomily in a corner). It’s the kind of project you could imagine a guy in Pattinson’s place taking on post-Twilight as a way of telling the world he’s versatile and/or fearless. Except it wasn’t.

“I thought I’d never get another acting job again,” Pattinson says. “So I was like, ‘Yeah—why not try to do something weird?’ There’s all these gay sex scenes. And y’know, I haven’t even done a sex scene with a girl, in my whole career.”

(While he says this, he’s pinching the skin on the back of his left hand and sort of twisting it clockwise with his right.)

“And here I am, with Javier [Beltrán], who plays Lorca, doing an extremely hard-core sex scene, where I have a nervous breakdown afterward. And because we’re both straight, what we were doing seemed kind of ridiculous.”

(Now he’s sort of laughing.)

“Trying to do it doggie-style. Trying to have a nervous breakdown while doing it doggie-style. And it wasn’t even a closed set. There were all these Spanish electricians giggling to themselves.”

He’s pretty sure the only reason Little Ashes is getting any kind of promotional push is that he’s in it.

“It’s nothing,” he says. “It would never have been released. I mean, that’s a terrible thing to say, but this was a movie where we didn’t even have stand-ins! We were scrambling, the entire time. We didn’t even have trailers.”

He hasn’t actually seen the finished film. He says he hasn’t seen any movie he’s been in since the Potter movies—not even Twilight. He took his mom to the American Twilight premiere, squirmed through the first ten minutes, then bolted. “I went out and sat in the car,” he says, “having a full-blown panic attack.” Ten minutes in, he looked up and realized someone was videotaping him.

Full (and relatively long) interview:  http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_8497

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator

Bump.  :D

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/dailydish/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=39476

Pattinson Struggled
Through Nude Scenes

Robert Pattinson struggled through nude scenes
in the Salvador Dali biopic "Little Ashes" and blames
his English upbringing for making him so uptight.

The "Twilight" heartthrob plays the Spanish painter
in the movie and admits scenes in which he had to
strip down and show off his naked body were tough
to shoot.

Pattinson tells Moviefone.com, "It's funny because Spanish
people ... have no problem with nudity at all, and English
people obviously do have, like, the most enormous problem
with it.

"It's like little things, like when I saw my father getting
changed for swimming (and) I got, like, traumatized by it."

"Camping Out"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
This is scheduled for "One Week Only" runs around here.  That does not bode well...  :(

But at least it's better than what Ciao had, which was a 3-day run (Fri-Sun) in Berkeley.  ::)

Offline oilgun

A review from After Elton: http://www.afterelton.com/movies/2009/5/littleashes?page=0%2C0

Excerpt:
"Had the film's focus been tighter and its dealing with the maybe/maybe not affair with Dalí better integrated, this could have been a standout biopic. As it is it's a nice-looking but self-conscious trifle that captures only glimpses of its subject's genius. "

Offline oilgun

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2009, 04:38:07 pm »
Well, since the two people who were supposed to have seen it in NYC never gave a report, I decided to see the film for myself.  My expectations were pretty low because of lukewarm reviews so that might explain why I enjoyed it so much! 

The acting was quite good although the story tends to plod along at times and is a bit disjointed.  Pattinson was suitably erratic and insane looking as Dalí but the standout has to be Javier Beltrán as Lorca, the main character.  Also excellent is McNulty as the initially homophobic Buñuel.  Can someone make a biopic of Alain Delon immediately, because McNulty is the French actor's double from his Purple Noon period, the physical resemblance and similarity of mannerism were uncanny at times.

There is an almost high-camp "water ballet" scene that just skirts silliness but instead is actually moving.  The relationship is never consummated from what I can gather but there is some kissing and lots of passionate looks.  A kind of Spanish Brideshead Revisited that is definitely worth at least a rental.

Mathew McNulty as Buñuel

Alain Delon as the sexiest man alive.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 07:12:57 pm by oilgun »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2009, 05:16:45 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it, Gil!  And yes, that certainly is a strong resemblance between those two actors.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2009, 07:40:44 pm »
I was one of those people who saw it early in NYC, and one reason that I haven't commented is that (contrary to my normal self) I really didn't quite know what to say!

I honestly can't say I thought it was a good film, - it took too many scenes over the edge to the exaggerated and truly campy. My personal jury is still out on how intentional that was - whether it was an attempt to mirror Dali's larger-than-life art and personal story in some way.

Some of the photography was lovely - landscapes, interiors, beautful human forms.

And on the shallow side, both the two leads are incredibly handsome guys, so on that level it was very well worth watching. And being a slash fanfic reader, I must say that this film should be seen by anyone seeking to understand what the fanfic term UST (=unresolved sexual tension) is all about. The story is simply brimming and overflowing with UST from the beginning till the end, and pretty much defines the term visually from A to Z.

I thought Robert Pattisnon was in over his head, though I imagine portraying Salvador Dali would be a big challenge for any actor around. Javier Beltran did a very good job portraying Lorca. Though I felt a certain disconnect between the Lorca this film was showing me and the man who wrote the stark harsh plays of his I'm familiar with.

I felt really bad for the women in the story and what they experienced, - more so because they were reduced to mere extras and props most of the time.

Most of all, I thought the idea to have everyone speak English with a strong Spanish accent was a horrible, nearly inexcusable decision of the director's. It made the dialogue very difficult to understand, and it made much of the film come across as a complete though unintentional parody of "those intense, eye-rollingly passionate Spanish artists".

Offline oilgun

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 06:46:16 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it, Gil!  And yes, that certainly is a strong resemblance between those two actors.  8)

So it's not just me then?  I couldn't get over the resemblance, it was actually distracting, but in a good way, like a new discovery or something.  I'm completely in love with him now of course (Heath won't mind, it's been a year)  Actually it's between McNulty and Sam Worthington (from Perth. I know!).

Offline oilgun

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 06:53:53 pm »
I was one of those people who saw it early in NYC, and one reason that I haven't commented is that (contrary to my normal self) I really didn't quite know what to say!

I honestly can't say I thought it was a good film, - it took too many scenes over the edge to the exaggerated and truly campy. My personal jury is still out on how intentional that was - whether it was an attempt to mirror Dali's larger-than-life art and personal story in some way.

Some of the photography was lovely - landscapes, interiors, beautful human forms.

And on the shallow side, both the two leads are incredibly handsome guys, so on that level it was very well worth watching. And being a slash fanfic reader, I must say that this film should be seen by anyone seeking to understand what the fanfic term UST (=unresolved sexual tension) is all about. The story is simply brimming and overflowing with UST from the beginning till the end, and pretty much defines the term visually from A to Z.

I thought Robert Pattisnon was in over his head, though I imagine portraying Salvador Dali would be a big challenge for any actor around. Javier Beltran did a very good job portraying Lorca. Though I felt a certain disconnect between the Lorca this film was showing me and the man who wrote the stark harsh plays of his I'm familiar with.

I felt really bad for the women in the story and what they experienced, - more so because they were reduced to mere extras and props most of the time.

Most of all, I thought the idea to have everyone speak English with a strong Spanish accent was a horrible, nearly inexcusable decision of the director's. It made the dialogue very difficult to understand, and it made much of the film come across as a complete though unintentional parody of "those intense, eye-rollingly passionate Spanish artists".

Well, for someone who didn't know what to say you sure said a lot!  ;)

I'm with you about the campiness and whether it  was intentional or not, but you know, for some reason I just enjoyed it from start to finish.  I think it was the acting that won me over, they all seemed so committed that I couldn't help but be seduced.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2009, 07:01:43 pm »
LOL! I didn't know what to say.... but that was then, this is now!  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2009, 07:21:09 pm »
What a coincidence! I just came from the most hip DVD rental store I could find where I asked to rent a copy of Little Ashes. They laffed and told me it's starting the 19th at the Mayan Theater.

Anyone here ever read the novel authored by Salvador Dali??

Gil, please come over and join the Alain Delon fan club on Facebook!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 08:52:49 am »
What a coincidence! I just came from the most hip DVD rental store I could find where I asked to rent a copy of Little Ashes. They laffed and told me it's starting the 19th at the Mayan Theater.

Anyone here ever read the novel authored by Salvador Dali??

Gil, please come over and join the Alain Delon fan club on Facebook!!

I'm so there!  :D  (I haven't been on Facebook in so long!)

EDIT:   Which Alain Delon Facebook group should I join?  There are several, I joined the largest one, it has over 8 thousand members.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:24:31 am by oilgun »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 08:56:55 am »

Wow!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 01:55:20 pm »

Matthew McNulty?  Matthew McNasty!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2009, 09:51:55 am »
This opens today in Denver! I won't get to see it today, though, because I am seeing a different movie...Brokeback Mountain!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2009, 10:59:40 am »
I saw Little Ashes yesterday with friends brokebackjack and happyatlast. It is a tremendously meaty film! I must see it at least a couple of times more. I am so happy that the character of Federico Lorca was at the heart of the film rather than Salvadore Dali, not because I don't like Dali, but because Lorca was more complex and thoughtful, and we know less about him (Dali was a very good publicist for himself, in addition to his wife, so we know a lot about him!)

The movie begins rather slowly, and I seemed to see parallels to, of all things, Gone With the Wind, where the young people are all gaily ( :D) and naively partying while the storm clouds of war and unrest gather.

If I'd known about all the uproar over Robert Pattinson, I might not have seen the movie, so it's a blessing. That's the reason I delayed seeing Brokeback Mountain, because I could not fathom a story by Annie Proulx being made into a movie starring Heath Ledger and Jakie!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2009, 12:06:39 am »

From the clips shown on E!, it appears that there are some pretty steamy scenes in this film.

Here's the link to the imdb page about it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104083/

So, Amanda, have you seen Little Ashes yet?

I think the swimming scene is worth the price of admission, by itself! Thank you for alerting us to this movie!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2009, 10:31:24 am »
LOL, no I haven't seen it.  And, I don't really know when I will.  Probably when it comes out on video or something.  I mainly posted about it here because I thought BetterMostians would be interested, more than out of personal interest.  Lately, personally, I'm feeling the need to see more movies and read books that focus on lesbian subjects more than on gay male relationships.

I agree with you about Dali, and I've heard some reviews of the film that make me less-than enthusiastic about it afterall.  I'm glad you enjoyed it Lee.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2010, 12:32:47 pm »
This is now available on DVD!! Anyone seen it?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2010, 12:42:54 pm »

Are you sure it isn't a pair a deuces (going nowhere)?  ;)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2010, 12:57:10 pm »
This is now available on DVD!! Anyone seen it?

I just put it on my netflix queue.