Author Topic: Mel Gibson's wife files for divorce  (Read 4017 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Mel Gibson's wife files for divorce
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:52:25 pm »
I think this was a long time coming - hence his meltdown a few years back.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090414/ap_en_mo/people_mel_gibson;_ylt=AnoWOUrbBkyTpYlp9eFZuvRxFb8C

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Mel Gibson's wife files for divorce
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:53:43 am »
That makes me sad. They'd been together a long time---7 kids. I'm sure it's hell to live with an alcoholic. Thankfully, I've never had that experience, but friends and relatives have told me things they've been through.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 04:01:58 am »
And no prenupt.... he's about to lose a good few million dollars. Probably into the hundreds
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 02:56:39 pm »
By all accounts (including his own) Mel is an extremely rules-based, arcane Roman Catholic (he thought the Vatican II reforms were much too liberal).  I imagine living as a woman under his roof would be tough, indeed.  I didn't know about the chronic alcoholism (the one DUI aside).

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:28:39 pm »
I heard about this on the news. Very surprising.

He will remain in full communion with the Catholic Church just as long as he doesn't remarry. The idea that the Catholic church doesn't allow divorce is a bit of a misunderstanding. Catholics can get divorced and remain in good standing with the Church because the Church doesn't recognize the divorce in the first place. In the eyes of the Church, the two are still married. It only becomes a problem only when they decide to get remarried.

Hopefully (assuming the divorce goes through) Mel Gibson will not decide to marry again. Because then he'd be out. Although he is rich, so he'd probably be able to swing a special dispensation from the Church under the Pauline Privilege and have the first marriage annulled by a Tribunal.

Money talks. Bullshit walks.

This will be very interesting to keep an eye on to see what happens. :)  I am sorry to hear about his marital problems though. :(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 06:06:57 pm »
His wife Robin filed in the U.S.  In California.  Community property state  So she's entitled to half - and deservedly so.  For dealing with an alcoholic all these years - stories of his drinking binges go all the way back to 1985 and earlier - and staying home and raising their 7 children. 

She wants spousal support and obviously child support for their last child who is 10 (all the others are adults now) and her half of the property.  No pre-nup.  She met him when he was just starting out - an Australian movie/TV star.

It would be funny if he does follow the Church on marriage.  I doubt that he does though.  For all his piety and the Church still considering them married, he doesn't want to pay spousal support.  So he's not feeling married as far as that is concerned.

Hmm, seems his wife is Episcopalian.  Mel's already been quoted as saying she's not on the list to get into heaven.  ::)

In the eyes of the Church, the two are still married. It only becomes a problem only when they decide to get remarried.

Or if they start having sex with other people.

If either want to bad enough, they can get their marriage annulled.  They even have a good excuse - his addictions.

injest

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 07:20:09 pm »
I heard about this on the news. Very surprising.

He will remain in full communion with the Catholic Church just as long as he doesn't remarry. The idea that the Catholic church doesn't allow divorce is a bit of a misunderstanding. Catholics can get divorced and remain in good standing with the Church because the Church doesn't recognize the divorce in the first place. In the eyes of the Church, the two are still married. It only becomes a problem only when they decide to get remarried.

Hopefully (assuming the divorce goes through) Mel Gibson will not decide to marry again. Because then he'd be out. Although he is rich, so he'd probably be able to swing a special dispensation from the Church under the Pauline Privilege and have the first marriage annulled by a Tribunal.

Money talks. Bullshit walks.

This will be very interesting to keep an eye on to see what happens. :)  I am sorry to hear about his marital problems though. :(

he is having an affair with a Russian woman..I forget her name but he was with her in Costa Rica not long ago.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:29:40 pm »
he is having an affair with a Russian woman..I forget her name but he was with her in Costa Rica not long ago.

He can straighten that one out in Confession. But getting remarried presents a problem because the only way to repent of it is to get yet another divorce, return to the original spouse and then go to Confession. Obviously someone who got a divorce and then remarried wouldn't want to do something like that, so they (according to the Church) remain in a state of perpetual sin. This is the same argument they use with homosexuality. The homosexual will probably not wish to give up his or her lifestyle, so the sin remains. A Catholic is automatically excommunicated from the Church when they are in a state of mortal sin. Confession will forgive that sin and return the person to full communion with the Church, just as long as they are repentant... meaning they have turned away from the sin and fully intend never to commit that sin again.

And shame on him for having that affair! I feel very sorry for his wife right now. :(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 08:43:44 pm »
He can straighten that one out in Confession. But getting remarried presents a problem because the only way to repent of it is to get yet another divorce, return to the original spouse and then go to Confession. Obviously someone who got a divorce and then remarried wouldn't want to do something like that, so they (according to the Church) remain in a state of perpetual sin. This is the same argument they use with homosexuality. The homosexual will probably not wish to give up his or her lifestyle, so the sin remains. A Catholic is automatically excommunicated from the Church when they are in a state of mortal sin. Confession will forgive that sin and return the person to full communion with the Church, just as long as they are repentant... meaning they have turned away from the sin and fully intend never to commit that sin again.

And shame on him for having that affair! I feel very sorry for his wife right now. :(

They've apparently been separated for 3 years.  Someone said it's likely because he fell off the wagon.

The woman's denied the affair - her name's Oksana something.  She's this blonde bombshell woman - professional pianist.  She has her own website.  According to E!, Mel was with wife and family for Mass on Palm Sunday, but was alone on Easter, looking glum and reportedly saying, "She wants a divorce."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 03:56:47 am »

I thought it was Britney Spears I read he went to Costa Rica with.  No kidding.