Author Topic: Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent  (Read 36794 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:33:03 pm »
&feature=related

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-KiGva9dV4&feature=related[/youtube]

Hurray for Susan Boyle! 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:46:10 pm »
This has been ALL OVER the news today. She has an incredible voice. If she ever releases an album, I'll be the first to buy it! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 06:48:53 pm »
Isn't she fantastic.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:59:14 pm »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 07:55:18 pm »
I just saw this video this afternoon.....I was in tears.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:53:22 pm »
I just saw this video this afternoon.....I was in tears.

Me too. And I've been singing that song (not well!  ;D) for two days.

But to me, the most interesting part of the video is the way the judges and audience at first jauntily dismiss her on the basis of her appearance and age, and then have to rethink their prejudices once she starts singing.

I ran across this fantastic column from Glasgow's Herald:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/featuresopinon/display.var.2501746.0.The_beauty_that_matters_is_always_on_the_inside.php

The beauty that matters is always on the inside

12:01am Tuesday 14th April 2009

By COLETTE DOUGLAS HOME

Susan Boyle's story is a parable of our age. She is a singer of enormous talent, who cared for her widowed mother until she died two years ago. Susan's is a combination of ability and virtue that deserves congratulation.

So how come she was treated as a laughing stock when she walked on stage for the opening heat of Britain's Got Talent 2009 on Saturday night?

The moment the reality show's audience and judging panel saw the small, shy, middle-aged woman, they started to smirk. When she said she wanted a professional singing career to equal that of Elaine Paige, the camera showed audience members rolling their eyes in disbelief. They scoffed when she told Simon Cowell, one of the judges, how she'd reached her forties without managing to develop a singing career because she hadn't had the opportunity. Another judge, Piers Morgan, later wrote on his blog that, just before she launched into I Dreamed a Dream, the 3000-strong audience in Glasgow was laughing and the three judges were suppressing chuckles.

It was rude and cruel and arrogant. Susan Boyle from Blackburn, West Lothian, was presumed to be a buffoon. But why?

Britain's Got Talent isn't a beauty pageant. It isn't a youth opportunity scheme. It is surely about discovering untapped and unrecognised raw talent from all sections of society.

And Susan Boyle has talent to burn. Such is the beauty of her voice that she had barely sung the opening bars when the applause started. She rounded off to a standing ovation and - in her naivety - began walking off the stage and had to be recalled.

Susan, now a bankable discovery, was then roundly patronised by such mega-talents as Amanda Holden and the aforementioned Morgan, who told her: "Everyone laughed at you but no-one is laughing now. I'm reeling with shock." Holden added: "It's the biggest wake-up call ever."

Again, why?

The answer is that only the pretty are expected to achieve. Not only do you have to be physically appealing to deserve fame; it seems you now have to be good-looking to merit everyday common respect. If, like Susan (and like millions more), you are plump, middle-aged and too poor or too unworldly to follow fashion or have a good hairdresser, you are a non-person.

I dread to think of how Susan would have left the stage if her voice had been less than exceptional. She would have been humiliated in front of 11 million viewers. It's the equivalent of being put in the stocks in front of the nation instead of the village. It used to be a punishment handed out to criminals. Now it is the fate of anyone without obvious sexual allure who dares seek opportunity.

This small, brave soul took her courage in her hands to pitch at her one hope of having her singing talent recognised, and was greeted with a communal sneer. Courage could so easily have failed her.

Yet why shouldn't she sound wonderful? Not every great singer looks like Katherine Jenkins. Edith Piaf would never have been chosen to strut a catwalk. Nor would Nina Simone, nor Ella Fitzgerald. As for Pavarotti But then ridicule is nothing new in Susan Boyle's life. She is a veteran of abuse. She was starved of oxygen at birth and has learning difficulties as a result. At school she was slow and had frizzy hair. She was bullied, mostly verbally. She told one newspaper that her classmates' jibes left behind the kind of scars that don't heal.

She didn't have boyfriends, is a stranger to romance and has never been kissed. "Shame," she said. Singing was her life-raft.

She lived with her parents in a four-bedroom council house and, when her father died a decade ago, she cared for her mother and sang in the church choir.

It was an unglamorous existence. She wasn't the glamorous type - and being a carer isn't a glamorous life, as the hundreds of thousands who do that most valuable of jobs will testify. Even those who start out with a beauty routine and an interest in clothes find themselves reverting to the practicality of a tracksuit and trainers. Fitness plans get interrupted and then abandoned. Weight creeps on. Carers don't often get invited to sparkling dinner parties or glitzy receptions, so smart clothes rarely make it off the hanger.

Then, when a special occasion comes along, they might reach, as Susan did, for the frock they bought for a nephew's wedding. They might, as she did, compound the felony of choosing a colour at odds with her skin tone and an unflattering shape with home-chopped hair, bushy eyebrows and a face without a hint of make-up. But it is often evidence of a life lived selflessly; of a person so focused on the needs of another that they have lost sight of themselves. Is that a cause for derision or a reason for congratulation? Would her time have been better spent slimming and exercising, plucking and waxing, bleaching and botoxing? Would that have made her voice any sweeter?

Susan Boyle's mother encouraged her to sing. She wanted her to enter Britain's Got Talent. But the shy Susan hasn't been able to sing at all since her mother's death two years ago. She wasn't sure how her voice would emerge after so long a silence. Happily, it survived its rest.

She is a gift to Simon Cowell and reality television. Her story is the stuff of Hans Christian Andersen: the woman plucked from obscurity, the buried talent uncovered, the transformation waiting to be wrought.

It is wonderful for her, too, that her stunning voice is now recognised. A bright future beckons. Her dream is becoming reality.

Susan is a reminder that it's time we all looked a little deeper. She has lived an obscure but important life. She has been a companionable and caring daughter. It's people like her who are the unseen glue in society; the ones who day in and day out put themselves last. They make this country civilised and they deserve acknowledgement and respect.

Susan has been forgiven her looks and been given respect because of her talent. She should always have received it because of the calibre of her character.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 11:12:30 pm »
Very nice article.

She has a beautiful voice. I'm surprised that it hasn't been discovered before. She was funny with the judges. I hope she wins. I don't know why they were so amazed. Paul Potts wasn't "the norm" in looks when he got his chance on the show either. And he won (I think).
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 11:22:30 pm »

But to me, the most interesting part of the video is the way the judges and audience at first jauntily dismiss her on the basis of her appearance and age, and then have to rethink their prejudices once she starts singing.

There's lots of lessons to be learned here. Hopefully some people will catch on. :)

injest

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 11:34:14 pm »

There's lots of lessons to be learned here. Hopefully some people will catch on. :)

for me it is...it is never too late to pursue your dreams

injest

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 11:34:40 pm »
if anyone finds out where you can get this song I would like a copy...

Offline Fran

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 11:36:37 pm »
Here are the words if anyone wants to sing along to the video:  :)

I Dreamed A Dream

I dreamed a dream in time gone by,
When hope was high and life worth living.
I dreamed that love would never die,
I dreamed that God would be forgiving.

Then I was young and unafraid,
When dreams were made and used and wasted.
There was no ransom to be paid,
No song unsung, no wine untasted.

But the tigers come at night,
With their voices soft as thunder,
As they tear your hopes apart,
As they turn your dreams to shame.

And still I dream he'll come to me,
And we will live our lives together,
But there are dreams that cannot be,
And there are storms we cannot weather!

I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living,
So different now from what it seems...
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed...

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/featuresopinon/display.var.2501746.0.The_beauty_that_matters_is_always_on_the_inside.php

Thanks for posting this, Katherine.  I was wondering about her.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 11:57:34 pm »

The beauty that matters is always on the inside

12:01am Tuesday 14th April 2009

By COLETTE DOUGLAS HOME

Great article, Katherine. Really, really lovely.

A tangential aside--not giving anything away from the article itself, I hope--possibly for Americans who are not aware: the writer's surname, Douglas Home (or Douglas-Home, pronounced Hume ) is an old and distinguished one in the UK, and in Scotland. (And now all the world knows Susan Boyle is a Scot!) Collete Douglas Home (as she styles herself) is the wife of Mark Douglas-Home, former editor of The Herald; he left the paper in 2005 as he was unhappy (it was believed) because of management's budget cuts. His  uncle was Sir Alec Douglas-Home, British Prime Minister 1963-1964. For anybody is interested, google and wikipedia awaits.

"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 12:18:17 am »
A tangential aside--not giving anything away from the article itself, I hope--possibly for Americans who are not aware: the writer's surname, Douglas Home (or Douglas-Home, pronounced Hume ) is an old and distinguished one in the UK, and in Scotland. (And now all the world knows Susan Boyle is a Scot!) Collete Douglas Home (as she styles herself) is the wife of Mark Douglas-Home, former editor of The Herald; he left the paper in 2005 as he was unhappy (it was believed) because of management's budget cuts. His  uncle was Sir Alec Douglas-Home, British Prime Minister 1963-1964. For anybody is interested, google and wikipedia awaits.

Thanks for that background, John! I'd never heard of the writer before, and just stumbled upon this piece via a reference on Andrew Sullivan's blog (which I don't often read, either, for that matter).

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 12:25:49 am »
Very nice article.

She has a beautiful voice. I'm surprised that it hasn't been discovered before. She was funny with the judges. I hope she wins. I don't know why they were so amazed. Paul Potts wasn't "the norm" in looks when he got his chance on the show either. And he won (I think).

If Paul Potts married Susan Boyle, they could be Potts-Boyle.  And then we could watch Potts-Boyle.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 12:26:59 am »

If Paul Potts married Susan Boyle, they could be Potts-Boyle.  And then we could watch Potts-Boyle.

:laugh:  Well, see, that's why that could never happen.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 06:45:07 am »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 01:56:22 pm »

It tickles me that you are quoting from the Glasgow Herald...  :)

Have you guys never heard I dreamed a Drem before? Its prety well known in the UK. Hae you guys heard of Elaine Paige?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 02:32:22 pm »

I thought you might like that!  ;)

Have you guys never heard I dreamed a Drem before? Its prety well known in the UK. Hae you guys heard of Elaine Paige?

No, I'd never heard the song, but I would guess it's better known here among those who frequent Broadway. As for Elaine Page, I first heard of her was just a few weeks ago! My son was studying the musical "Cats" in school, we got to singing the songs, and I was actually looking on YouTube for the Betty Buckley version of "Memory" but stumbled on Elaine Page's version instead. And that led to me listening to her "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina." I didn't happen upon "I dreamed a Dream," though.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:42:29 pm by serious crayons »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 05:22:25 pm »

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 12:41:14 am »

I had never heard of Elaine Page, but YouTubed her after Susan Boyle mentioned her.  I only listened to one song of hers - and it was "Memory" - but I enjoyed Susan Boyle more.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 01:43:29 am »
I just checked my email, and my mother just sent me a link to the Susan Boyle YouTube.  Jesus H!  I didn't even know my mother knew about YouTube.  Quite a phenomenon.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 03:39:27 am »
I just checked my email, and my mother just sent me a link to the Susan Boyle YouTube.  Jesus H!  I didn't even know my mother knew about YouTube.  Quite a phenomenon.

:laugh:

Elaine Paige is very well known in the UK. And although Ive never seen Les Mis I've heard that song many a time. Elaine is basically the First Lady of British Musical Theatre. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Paige

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 04:46:59 pm »
Another song by our wee Susie Boyle..

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/2009/04/16/exclusive-susan-boyle-s-first-ever-song-release-revealed-listen-to-it-here-86908-21283564/

It emerged last night that Susan, whose Britain’s Got Talent triumph has made her an instant superstar, is being lined up for an appearance
on the Oprah Winfrey show which would give her the chance of a number one album in the US.

But the Record can reveal she made her first recording back in 1999, when she sang blues ballad Cry Me A River for a charity CD.

Only 1000 copies of the disc were ever produced, but we’ve got hold of the long-forgotten recording and it’s now on our site. A showbiz insider said: “This is a real coup for the Record. The whole world would have wanted to find this.

“People will be scrambling to get their hands on this CD. They will be like gold dust soon.”

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ[/youtube]

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 04:58:28 pm »
This has gone so full circle that, if Susan Boyle had been glamorous looking, she would not have achieved the international fame that she has, nor perhaps the success toward which she appears to be headed.

What a refreshing turnaround!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 05:10:17 pm »
yes, isn't it?

she sounds soooo sexy in the cry me a river song.. you wouldnt match up that voice with that body/face.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 05:29:39 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn7So0NC74s&feature=related[/youtube]

:)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 05:36:31 pm »
I admit to know who Simon Cowell is, but the other two judges I don't know their names.
What really sums it up for me is what the female judge had to say, that her voice was a real wake up call for all of them on the panel and in the audience. That really resonated with me and I agree with it whole heartedly. People go about thier lives and they have a preset set of ideas and then something like Brokeback or Boyle comes along and reminds us there is so much more.

I am proud to live on the same planet with this woman.  ;D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 06:04:00 pm »

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 06:59:09 pm »
Another song by our wee Susie Boyle..

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/2009/04/16/exclusive-susan-boyle-s-first-ever-song-release-revealed-listen-to-it-here-86908-21283564/

It emerged last night that Susan, whose Britain’s Got Talent triumph has made her an instant superstar, is being lined up for an appearance
on the Oprah Winfrey show which would give her the chance of a number one album in the US.

But the Record can reveal she made her first recording back in 1999, when she sang blues ballad Cry Me A River for a charity CD.

Only 1000 copies of the disc were ever produced, but we’ve got hold of the long-forgotten recording and it’s now on our site. A showbiz insider said: “This is a real coup for the Record. The whole world would have wanted to find this.

“People will be scrambling to get their hands on this CD. They will be like gold dust soon.”

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ[/youtube]

Where does her accent go when she sings? Very pretty song.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 07:13:56 pm »
Do you know its weird.. the accent almost always goes when we sing.. I know of only maybe two bands that I can think off the top of my head who sound scottish when they sing..

The proclaimers

[youtube=425,350]www.youtube.com/watch?v=El93gRv7ewA[/youtube]

and

Biffy Clyro

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7V7EuBBHjw[/youtube]

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 07:50:45 pm »
Do you know its weird.. the accent almost always goes when we sing.. I know of only maybe two bands that I can think off the top of my head who sound scottish when they sing..

The proclaimers

When I read this, I thought, wait a minute, what about those guys on the Shrek soundtrack?

So I looked it up, and of course it was The Proclaimers.

I also thought about Big Country, but realized they don't sound very Scottish.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2009, 08:45:51 pm »
Please don't throw anything at me, but...

As heart-warming a story this is, I'm a little cynical when it comes to these kinds of shows.  They're just a little formulaic.  I remember Paul Potts, the schmendrick who sang "Nessun Dorma" over and over again, and everyone raved.  To me, this is the same thing, meant to pull at your heartstrings and your prejudices.  Simon gets his comeuppance!  The audience groans in horror then shrieks with approval!

(Not to mention that both "Nessun Dorma" and "I Dreamed a Dream" are cliches of the highest order.)

I may be wrong, but I always suspect the reality shows are somewhat scripted and manipulative. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2009, 11:33:46 pm »
Well, here's another interesting viewpoint, from jezebel.com:

http://jezebel.com/5215015/susan-boyle-has-come-to-save-us-from-our-shallowness?skyline=true&s=i

We Dreamed A Dream
      Susan Boyle Has Come To Save Us From Our Shallowness!
      By Sadie, 3:00 PM on Thu Apr 16 2009

The party line on "unlikely sensation" Susan Boyle is that we're all obsessed with appearances. But if that's true...why do we all love being wrong so much?

The media furor surrounding Susan Boyle is noteworthy: today alone she appeared on CBS's Early Show, and was lauded by Patti LuPone for her rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream." Having only appeared in the qualifying round for Britain's Got Talent, it's already assumed that Boyle will receive a lucrative recording contract. The blogs are a-twitter with this Magical Woman, come to teach us Lessons. What fools we are! we self-castigate. Here's a dowdy lady who doesn't look like an American Idol contestant and we judge! Because she hasn't received validation from the patriarchy, we assume she's unworthy! And we were wrong! Stupid, stupid, shallow idiots! We judge! And are found wanting! Ad nauseam! For the record, I do believe the outpouring of emotion elicited by Boyle's bravura performance was completely genuine; it's our critical reaction that gives me pause.

Never, in the history of reality TV, have so many been so happy to have been mistaken. From the judges, who delightedly speak of their surpassed expectations, to the live audience as thrilled by being wrong as by the triumph of Boyle's soaring vocals. Ironically, all of this points to a miscalculation on the part of the media. Sure, we're inured to the prospect of taut 17-year-olds belting out Mariah Carey, but clearly we prefer Susan Boyle. Says the blog The American Scene, "The irony is overwhelming: by singing this song about broken dreams, Boyle — whose life has apparently, up to that moment, been difficult enough to justify the lyrics as autobiography — makes her lifelong dream of success as a professional singer effectively come true."

Sure, part of it is probably novelty. It's not just Boyle's unmanicured appearance, but the fact that, to Americans especially, she's one of the few exotics left to us: a figure seemingly from another era, not merely old-fashioned in presentation but in her total disregard for norms. For let's face it: it's not just Boyle's appearance that generated skepticism, but the fact that she wouldn't realize it to be a deterrent. It seems to me disingenuous and simplistic to keep harping on our judging Boyle because she was "ugly" — which she is not — when the issue seems more one of juxtaposition than anything. To attempt this sort of show, but not to buy into the accepted mold, was an act of impunity that seemed to disregard of all the rules of the game, and made one fear that here was another deluded, oblivious person being exploited for laughs. Our joy was as much relief as surprise. And that joy is very real.

Boyle's story — that of a small, quiet life, in which she struggled with learning problems and devoted her adult life to caring for an elderly mother, giving her talent to a church choir — is probably not uncommon. We don't love stories of the everyday; we love stories of triumphing over adversity. It's the same in movies or TV; a character can have a small life or a blue-collar job as long as he has Big Dreams. We like our slumdogs to end up millionaires and our Britons to actually have talent. It is moving to see Boyle singing a song of broken dreams and lost youth, knowing what one does of her life — but only because we know now there are better things to come. If we didn't have a happy ending, could we bear to think of Boyle rehearsing the same song, the same words, by herself in her modest home? These triumphs are of value to us only as they comfort — even if, as in this case, it comes at our own expense.

Yes, there is something exploitative about it: it may seem patronizing for Demi and Ashton to tweet about the inspiration of her performance, or for Patti LuPone to praise her rendition of the song. Everyone seems amazed that she "triumphed" over a normal appearance and quiet life, and none of these interviews is complete without someone reminding Boyle, forcibly and repeatedly, that everyone was "laughing at her," and was "shocked" by her voice. (Said judge Piers Morgan, "When you stood there with that cheeky grin and said, 'I want to be like Elaine Paige', everyone was laughing at you." Concurred Amanda Holden, "I am so thrilled, because I know that everybody was against you.") Said one commenter on Margaret's original post,

"Look at this dowdy cat lady with a decent singing voice!" is just as much as a gimmick as giving someone attention based on their good looks alone. It's the average person with no back story that really has less of a chance to be seen on these shows.[/color]

There is indeed something worrisome about plucking someone from obscurity and feting them for a week or so to make the rest of us feel better, reducing her to a two-dimensional character who reaffirms our belief in the Power of Dreams, never mind that Boyle seemed neither miserable before, nor particularly turned by the attention.
(Indeed, she seems insufficiently willing to play the role for many of the interviewers, who seem reduced to portraying her as "lovable character" rather than "tragic redeemer.") It is a relief to know that Boyle's precursor, the opera-singing mobile-phone salesman Paul Potts, has actually gone on to a recording career and has not been abandoned by a fickle public, after having briefly Saved Us From Shallowness.

Why are we so delighted to have been mistaken? Why are we so happy to have the joke be on us? However manufactured and edited the shock of Boyle's performance — surely a producer's dream — we clearly choose to accept it at face value and cast ourselves as the villains needing to learn Important Lessons. It could have something to do with a deep-seeded sense of societal self-loathing, and a frustration with a pre-programmed and air-brushed world. It could be rooted in a sense of collective guilt, or identification. I think we just want to believe that cliches are true — and that we, too, are capable of Learning and Growing. Said Boyle, "Modern society is too quick to judge people on their appearances... There is not much you can do about it; it is the way they think; it is the way they are. But maybe this could teach them a lesson, or set an example."

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 05:11:46 am »
Have you guys never heard I dreamed a Dream before?

I Dreamed a Dream and its "sister song" On my own are staples of my car&shower-singing repertoire.  ;D But then, I had such a thing for Les Mis back in the day I was able to sing the entire musical - all of it. Unfortunately, and obviously - completely without the vocal abilities of Ms. Boyle.  ;D

And I think knowing the song and various performances of it so well is why I haven't been completely bowled over by SB's "I dreamed a Dream" specifically, her wonderful singing voice notwithstanding. I mean, the setting of how she gets eye-rolls and mockery before she sings, and how everyone turns out to be so impressed as she sings, I can't but love that, even if there *is* some manipulation of emotions at work -  but I've heard the song so many, many times sung by various wonderful performers (including Patti LuPone, on stage back during the original London Les Mis performance).

BUT!!! I absolutely, totally adore her "Cry me a River" which I now have on repeat. Thank you so much for linking to that, Kelda.  :-*

I hope Susan manages to keep her cool. I also wish her every possible success.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2009, 06:31:45 am »
We Dreamed A Dream

Sadie seems to be a little cynical. And overanalytical maybe.

I have heard that song, Kelda. I love Les Mis--I have seen performances of it at the Orpheum in Memphis at least 3 times, and I have the CD. Lots of good stuff in that musical. Makes me want to go again!  ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 06:41:10 am »
We Dreamed A Dream

Sadie seems to be a little cynical. And overanalytical maybe.

I have heard that song, Kelda. I love Les Mis--I have seen performances of it at the Orpheum in Memphis at least 3 times, and I have the CD. Lots of good stuff in that musical. Makes me want to go again!  ;)

It's a beautiful song.. but I have to say Ive never been interested in going to see Les Mis... I'm more of an upbeat musical fan..

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 07:13:05 am »
It's a beautiful song.. but I have to say Ive never been interested in going to see Les Mis... I'm more of an upbeat musical fan..

Well, yeah. It has a lot of sad in it with some happy. But there is a really upbeat song in it--"Master of the House" -- funny and lots of action in the dance number.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 07:13:51 am »
Well, yeah. It has a lot of sad in it with some happy. But there is a really upbeat song in it--"Master of the House" -- funny and lots of action in the dance number.  :)

*off to youtube*

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPsEwV38Q0[/youtube]

I wonder why it has subtitles? Is the accent too strong?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2009, 07:21:33 am »
Britian's got talent is on again tonight, maybe we'll get another shock with someone else tonight. I'll eep you guys posted if there is anything noteworthy!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2009, 07:50:11 am »
That 10th anniversary collage of Les Mis doesn't show the dances--just the song performances. The performer standing at the mic. During the actual play--there is a lot going on during that song. Must be just for a special. The ones I have seen have had the subtitles---maybe so people can sing along.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2009, 07:55:43 am »
That 10th anniversary collage of Les Mis doesn't show the dances--just the song performances. The performer standing at the mic. During the actual play--there is a lot going on during that song. Must be just for a special. The ones I have seen have had the subtitles---maybe so people can sing along.

Yay!!

Like Singalong Sound of Music!  ;D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2009, 06:25:56 pm »
Nothin too spectacular, although here is her competition from this week:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj15wqGeHb0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un2guR1jt04[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9mtE__GBKA[/youtube]

From last week (her week)

&feature=related
&feature=related

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2009, 08:13:35 pm »
I agree with Paul, I'm sure this was a created situation.  BUT, the response by real people is real.  I've already told y'all that when I arrived at a talk the other night, there was someone showing the YouTube clip to an enthralled little group, and that my mom, who is not very computer savvy sent me the link to it (it was a forward of a forward of a, etc.).  But last night when my daughter and I went out to dinner in a restaurant, I realized that the people who were sitting in the booth on the other side of ours were talking about it.  It is a real phenomenon, no matter how contrived it's start.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2009, 08:36:17 pm »
Sure, Elle.  Who doesn't love a rags-to-riches story, an Eliza Doolittle, a Pocketful of Miracles?

She's presented to us as a naive, but, a listen to her sultry "Cry Me a River" belies that.  Again, my cynical side says the producers chose her to be the next "it".  And it worked. 

It's both real and contrived. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2009, 09:44:44 pm »
Sure, Elle.  Who doesn't love a rags-to-riches story, an Eliza Doolittle, a Pocketful of Miracles?

She's presented to us as a naive, but, a listen to her sultry "Cry Me a River" belies that.  Again, my cynical side says the producers chose her to be the next "it".  And it worked. 

It's both real and contrived. 

What makes me wonder is how the camera happens to capture audience members' eyes rolling at just the right moment. Do they have a million cameras, or was that just extreme serendipity, or what?

But in any case, as Elle says, it works as a good story, regardless of the background. People like Slumdog Millionaire even though it's not a documentary, so ...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2009, 10:25:27 pm »

Jeff Danziger, Los Angeles Times Syndicate

"Camping Out"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2009, 10:28:10 pm »
What makes me wonder is how the camera happens to capture audience members' eyes rolling at just the right moment. Do they have a million cameras, or was that just extreme serendipity, or what?

Actually I think they do, Katherine. Not a million of them though. I think they have several cameras pointed in different directions and they then piece everything together in the editing department. I'd hate to think of this as some sort of set-up. I really hope it isn't true. My heart tells me it isn't true. Either way, I'm very happy for Ms. Boyle and I'll be anxiously awaiting the release of her first album. :)

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2009, 11:08:11 pm »
Actually I think they do, Katherine. Not a million of them though. I think they have several cameras pointed in different directions and they then piece everything together in the editing department. I'd hate to think of this as some sort of set-up. I really hope it isn't true. My heart tells me it isn't true. Either way, I'm very happy for Ms. Boyle and I'll be anxiously awaiting the release of her first album. :)

You're right. There are several cameras all over the hall while the show is being shot. At any given point in time, the show's director is in a booth monitoring what's going on with each camera, and telling the camera operators where to point the lens, and how to frame the shots. Its actually pretty formulaic. The director and camera crew can expect to get shots of the audience as each contestant takes the stage.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2009, 11:27:04 pm »
In case anyone is interested, there has been plenty of chatter about Susan Boyle over on the opera boards. My fellow opera singers agree that this "Boyle Bubble" is all about age and looks. They're saying that the voice is just unexpected coming from someone who looks like Boyle. Hence the novelty.

As far as the voice itself, Boyle doesn't suck. She actually has a good strong instrument, with a consistent vibrato. Her low notes are pretty weak. We agree that with some training, she could turn into a viable musical theatre singer. Can she act or dance? Who knows?? What we don't hear is a voice that is yet ready for a recording contract.

Same goes for Paul Potts.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2009, 01:41:30 am »
You're right. There are several cameras all over the hall while the show is being shot. At any given point in time, the show's director is in a booth monitoring what's going on with each camera, and telling the camera operators where to point the lens, and how to frame the shots. Its actually pretty formulaic. The director and camera crew can expect to get shots of the audience as each contestant takes the stage.

Sure, I think we understand that. What I thought was interesting was the shot they got of that girl, rolling her eyes at just the right point. Even with several cameras, they're lucky to get one of however many hundreds in the audience in such a telling moment.

In case anyone is interested, there has been plenty of chatter about Susan Boyle over on the opera boards. My fellow opera singers agree that this "Boyle Bubble" is all about age and looks. They're saying that the voice is just unexpected coming from someone who looks like Boyle. Hence the novelty.

As far as the voice itself, Boyle doesn't suck. She actually has a good strong instrument, with a consistent vibrato. Her low notes are pretty weak. We agree that with some training, she could turn into a viable musical theatre singer. Can she act or dance? Who knows?? What we don't hear is a voice that is yet ready for a recording contract.

Thanks for the professional appraisal, Milo. I agree that it's more about the surprise factor than anything else.

I also think that the essay I posted earlier made a good point. It's not just that Boyle is older or that she's not conventionally attractive. It's that she seems oblivious to trends and expectations in fashion and grooming, as if she hadn't been paying much attention. Yet her voice seems to indicate she's at least been paying attention in at least that one area.

injest

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2009, 09:41:24 am »

I would imagine also that they would pick out people to focus on that are pretty, have been expressive, have something that will catch their eye. It would be second nature after a bit of practice wouldn't it, Milo?

I mean if one group or person is really getting excited or emotional about ONE act, wouldn't it make sense to focus on that group again in hopes of catching a usable moment?

I am much more open to the audience reaction being edited than Boyles performance being staged.

who knows WHEN that girl rolled her eyes? she may have done that about something her friend said before the show ever started and just edited.

the point I guess to me is that staged, edited, whatever; I enjoyed the performance, it touched me.

injest

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2009, 09:44:15 am »

I would be interested in hearing what they think of some of the popular singers? Jonas Brothers? Kelly Pickler? I bet they cringe...

:laugh: :laugh:

having a voice ready for a recording contract doesnt' stop most people!  :P

heck Hung has a CD out...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2009, 09:46:23 am »
I would imagine also that they would pick out people to focus on that are pretty, have been expressive, have something that will catch their eye. It would be second nature after a bit of practice wouldn't it, Milo?

I mean if one group or person is really getting excited or emotional about ONE act, wouldn't it make sense to focus on that group again in hopes of catching a usable moment?

That was what I was just about to write Jess, they'll have worked out wth the frst few acts, who is expressive in their reacions and focussed on them.

Plus, I *think* (I'm not certain) that likk American Idol, they probably have a panel before the real panel in secret, so they have an idea whos really bad or mad (makes good tv) whos medeocre and whos really good (makes good tv) or who has that compelling story (makes for good tv).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2009, 10:10:41 am »
Plus, I *think* (I'm not certain) that likk American Idol, they probably have a panel before the real panel in secret, so they have an idea whos really bad or mad (makes good tv) whos medeocre and whos really good (makes good tv) or who has that compelling story (makes for good tv).

Well, they must have known something was up, because you wouldn't think they'd spend THAT much time beforehand with every single contestant. And when the backstage host guy goes, "You weren't expecting that, were you?" it could be read as a tiny hint that HE was.

The judges did look pretty genuinely surprised, but maybe they're kept out of the loop to keep their reactions more sincere ...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 10:16:21 am »
Well, they must have known something was up, because you wouldn't think they'd spend THAT much time beforehand with every single contestant. And when the backstage host guy goes, "You weren't expecting that, were you?" it could be read as a tiny hint that HE was.

The judges did look pretty genuinely surprised, but maybe they're kept out of the loop to keep their reactions more sincere ...

I think they are kept out of the loop for that very reason.

I'm not sure if Ant & Dec know much more than they've been told to interview these partic people, as they have had previously, quite emotional reactions to people before too. Plus these guys (very famous in the UK and have been around for years and years since they we're like 14 as a double act) are known to be very much on the spot/ off the cuff type of presenters.

Offline Fran

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2009, 06:26:41 pm »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/minette_marrin/article6122594.ece

One song and she breaks the grip of this sneering world
Minette Marrin

If you haven’t seen it already, watch it now. Don’t miss it. If you don’t have a computer, see it on someone else’s. I was sent the link last week, without explanation, in a short e-mail from a friend, and idly double-clicked on it, imagining it was another of the internet jokes with which friends distract one another from working. In fact, this short video clip of a middle-aged spinster singing, posted on YouTube only a few days ago, is one of the most moving and astonishing things I have seen for months. It made me cry.

I’m not alone: the film star Demi Moore tweeted that it made her “teary”, and everyone I’ve shown it to has clearly been very moved, from girls in their early twenties to several late-middle-aged businessmen at a dinner party on Thursday. What I saw on their faces as they watched was incredulity and a dawning, I truly think, of joy. The public response is making internet history. By this weekend more than 25m people had hit YouTube to watch.

For the few people who don’t know about this clip, I should explain. To me, watching without any idea of what was coming, it was at first rather puzzling: an odd, dumpy, middle-aged woman, wearing an old-fashioned frock and unfashionably cut grey curls, is being interviewed, casually, in a busy TV studio by two patronising young media men. It quickly emerges that her name is Susan Boyle; she is nearly 48, unemployed and just about to sing on a huge stage in the Britain’s Got Talent show. There is something quaint about her manner, or, as people used to say, a bit simple, and something vulnerable too, as she keeps hitting slightly the wrong conversational note.

She reveals that she lives alone with her cat Pebbles and has never been married nor ever been kissed, with a strange, self-deprecating smile that I recognised in retrospect: it’s the secret smile of someone who has often been laughed at. But she is full of a surprising confidence. “I’m going to make that audience rock,” says this most unlikely person.

Anyone of any sympathy would at this point have felt sorry for her - sorry for her misguided confidence, sorry for her delusion that she could possibly hold her own performing in a talent contest and sorry about the growing obsession with celebrity among people who can only be hurt and disappointed by their immeasurable distance from it.

An unsympathetic person, by contrast, might have sneered slightly, but the derision and jeering contempt that actually met this poor woman, seconds later, when she appeared on stage was quite shockingly brutal, especially for these sentimental times. She might as well have been a martyr in a Roman arena. As she clumsily answered a few questions, and said she wanted to be like Elaine Paige, TV cameras filmed open contempt on the faces of the young audience and there were audible boos and jeers. Worse still, the judges were also laughing at her, Simon Cowell rolling his eyes in affected disbelief and Piers Morgan openly sneering. All this because a plain and middle-aged lady, the living antithesis of youth and cool, had the effrontery to enter a talent contest.

Yet Miss Boyle, with her strange serenity, seemed oddly untroubled. Then she began to sing, and after only two or three notes of I Dreamed a Dream from Les Misérables, it was absolutely obvious that she was a star. As one of the judges said later, and most revealingly, they knew at once that they had “found gold”. She has, without any doubt, a beautiful and powerful voice, and all the confidence, the authority, the self-discipline and the presence of a great performer; her talent transforms her. The judges and audience could not fail to recognise this and very soon they were standing and cheering rapturously, astonishment all over their faces.

What really interests me about the clip is not so much her talent as her story and people’s passionate reaction to it. Susan Boyle’s experience has all the symbolic power of a fairy story. It’s a story of transformation - always one of the most powerful - both for her and for her studio audience.

She, in fairy-story terms, is the ugly old lady, despised by all, who turns out to be a beloved and powerful princess; the spell that sets her free and makes her great is her magic talent. And the special magic of this talent is that it is makes no distinctions of age or beauty or disability; anyone might have this magic power, whether or not anyone else knows. Aspirations and dreams need not always grow old, though we must. It is a fairy story to make grown men and women weep, and it did.

Similarly, the jeering audience of vain young people trying to catch the camera’s eye and the preening judges of this contest are the nasty boys and girls of fairy stories who mock the poor old lady because she is not young and beautiful, only to be punished when her real self is revealed. And their punishment is to be revealed as they truly are - heartless, thoughtless and superficial - the flotsam and jetsam of the polluted seas of celebrity, likely to sink without trace into toxic foam. They will grow old too, to be ignored in their turn, and then they will understand that appearances are not everything. And those who despise people who are not thin, not young, not beautiful and not cool will one day find themselves despised in exactly the same way, by people just like their younger selves. That is enough to make young people think.

This side of the story became even more forceful for me when it emerged that Miss Boyle suffered mild brain damage at birth, causing problems that meant she was bullied and belittled at school. In retrospect I think that is enough to explain her slightly unusual manner, and the bullying and belittling sneers of the studio audience; it’s what they were laughing at. But Susan Boyle managed to rise above people like them. She found herself in church choirs and karaoke, restored and triumphant in music; it’s a story of the undefeated spirit.

Hers is also finally a story of the astonishing power of music to bring people together, transcending all differences. Everyone should sing. Everyone certainly can sing – there is almost no one who cannot learn to sing in tune. And the joy of singing in itself, or in a choir, is one of the best consolations I can think of for life’s sadnesses; I started singing lessons a couple of years ago and am amazed by what it has come to mean. As a nation, as individuals, we don’t sing enough. We should be inspired by the surprising Susan Boyle.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2009, 09:37:12 pm »
Lovely column. Thanks for posting it, Fran.

I particularly liked this:

She, in fairy-story terms, is the ugly old lady, despised by all, who turns out to be a beloved and powerful princess; the spell that sets her free and makes her great is her magic talent. And the special magic of this talent is that it is makes no distinctions of age or beauty or disability; anyone might have this magic power, whether or not anyone else knows. Aspirations and dreams need not always grow old, though we must. It is a fairy story to make grown men and women weep, and it did.

Similarly, the jeering audience of vain young people trying to catch the camera’s eye and the preening judges of this contest are the nasty boys and girls of fairy stories who mock the poor old lady because she is not young and beautiful, only to be punished when her real self is revealed. And their punishment is to be revealed as they truly are - heartless, thoughtless and superficial - the flotsam and jetsam of the polluted seas of celebrity, likely to sink without trace into toxic foam. They will grow old too, to be ignored in their turn, and then they will understand that appearances are not everything. And those who despise people who are not thin, not young, not beautiful and not cool will one day find themselves despised in exactly the same way, by people just like their younger selves. That is enough to make young people think.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2009, 12:54:58 am »
Am I the only one not impressed with her voice?  Yes, she has a nice voice.  But I've heard tons better singers on American Idol - from the runners up.

She reminds me of what's-her-name on the Drew Carrey Show.  Was it Mimi?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2009, 01:19:33 am »
I think they are kept out of the loop for that very reason.

I'm not sure if Ant & Dec know much more than they've been told to interview these partic people, as they have had previously, quite emotional reactions to people before too. Plus these guys (very famous in the UK and have been around for years and years since they we're like 14 as a double act) are known to be very much on the spot/ off the cuff type of presenters.

Ant & Dec have worked their way across the pond and are hosting a game show here in the states too, Kelda!

They are very funny.... and cute! I can easily understand why they are so popular in Great Britain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanna_Bet%3F

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2009, 01:21:25 am »
Am I the only one not impressed with her voice?  Yes, she has a nice voice.  But I've heard tons better singers on American Idol - from the runners up.

She reminds me of what's-her-name on the Drew Carrey Show.  Was it Mimi?

Yep. I'm pretty much with you. The voice is mediocre. It has potential, but it needs lots of training. To be perfectly honest with you, I have seen geekier, uglier, older, and fatter people sing 100 thousand times better that her. I've seen dirt poor black singers rise from ghettos to become international performers earning tens of thousands of dollars per night. I'm an opera singer. These people inhabit my world, and I theirs.

So...no. I'm not impressed either. Not with her.

What does impress me somewhat is Simon's ability to keep his shows at the top of the ratings, and permeated through pop culture. He seems to have done what few businessmen can: he has captured the attention of the 16-24 demographic. THAT'S what I call amazing!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2009, 01:24:10 am »
Well, I was VERY impressed with her! I hope she releases an album. I'd definately buy it. :)

Apparently there is a little boy who did very well on that show too. He's twelve. Larry King offered a video clip of the boy on his show. I was very impressed with him as well.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2009, 03:49:01 am »
David - he's on this thread already -  posted a little youtube clip of him at the weekend.

Nothin too spectacular, although here is her competition from this week:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj15wqGeHb0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un2guR1jt04[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9mtE__GBKA[/youtube]

Re wanna Bet, i didn't know that...thanks to the link to Wanna Bet!  - its like a remake of a show we had in the 90's here called You Bet! But from thre page its says its not getting renewed for a second series. shame becasue they are a really good duo!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2009, 03:56:16 am »
David - he's on this thread already -  posted a little youtube clip of him at the weekend.

Re wanna Bet, i didn't know that...thanks to the link to Wanna Bet!  - its like a remake of a show we had in the 90's here called You Bet! But from thre page its says its not getting renewed for a second series. shame becasue they are a really good duo!

Oh, I didn't know that Kelda. I can't watch those videos. Damn dial-up connection. :P

Yesh, I guess I should have said they WERE the host of a game show here. Past tense. The network did a poor job with the time slots. The show couldn't compete against the other programs aired at the same time. It really was a cute game show. Maybe they will come back and host something else here at some point in the future. They were very cute. And funny!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2009, 08:32:44 am »
I have seen geekier, uglier, older, and fatter people sing 100 thousand times better that her. I've seen dirt poor black singers rise from ghettos to become international performers earning tens of thousands of dollars per night.

Well, if they could get Simon Cowell and a couple of other people to insult them in a timely manner on camera, maybe they could become international YouTube sensations, too.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2009, 03:05:52 pm »

Yes, the stadiumful of applicants you see at the beginning of Idol definitely don't all make it to Simon & them.  There's a pre-screening process in which all the boring, middling performers are cut.  Only the very good, very bad, and the interesting surprises (like Boyle) make it to Simon.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2009, 12:07:54 am »
I just got around to watching this for the first time. Yes, Susan has a lovely voice, but what really makes it is her delivery and her personal connection to her audience. It was a matter of timing, delivery, performance, and the times we live in. Viva Susan!! She stands for many!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2009, 12:07:19 pm »
Here's a blog post from Slate that makes another good point. We love the Susan Boyle video because it lets us exorcise and transcend our own demons regarding appearance and age. But the experience is temporary, because those prejudices are deeply ingrained. We hate that we feel them, we think it's wrong to feel them, but nonetheless we do.

I'll know this is wrong if beautiful celebrities suddenly go out of style altogether and are replaced by talented plain folks.

The Contrarian Take on Susan Boyle
Posted Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:16 AM | By Meghan O'Rourke

I didn't see the Susan Boyle clip until Sunday, and unlike everyone else in America, I didn't find it moving. Instead, I found it to be a savvy, cynical piece of TV editing. The visual sequence (the one now on YouTube) is perfectly designed to elicit a crude catharsis in its viewers—to borrow a crucial critical term from one of our earliest drama critics, Aristotle. The skeptic in me hardly believes it wasn't scripted. All the obvious reasons why so many have found it so "moving" have been trotted out. Letty Cottin Pogrebin proclaimed it a powerful strike against pervasive "ageism," a clip that showed us how wrongly snide we are about the dreams of a plain 47-year-old woman. And on one level, that's right. Boyle's life has been changed. (For now, at least.) But the real catharsis the sequence offers is that it lets us indulge as a group (this is crucial) our culture's superficial feelings about appearance, age, sexual worth, and then expel them. (Boyle is as unerotic as it gets; actually, she's an-erotic, since she has never even been kissed.) Watching at first, we too are the sneering audience members, the young girls who roll their eyes. (Note how carefully edited the audience shots are.) But—then, cue the music, and even as Boyle is just opening her mouth, people's faces are lighting up. She has relaxed into herself and her voice is... pretty good. (Not great.) And so we get to exhale and let our saccharine hearts soar with the schmaltzy music as, for a moment, we see "proven" on TV that looks and sex aren't everything. For that moment, the light mantle of eros even seems to rest around Boyle—she smiles, she has some cultural worth, someone, we think, might even kiss her one day! Thus, release. In a sense, Boyle inhabits the role of the scapegoat of early village traditions whom we punish with exile (or sneering), but whom we now, through the magic vehicle of TV, welcome back into the fold, surprising ourselves with our capacious hearts.

But do not take this for a moment to be a blow in the face of ageism. Or a sign that we're becoming a more thoughtful culture. Just listen to the condescension in beautiful, tanned, made-over Amanda Holden's language when she tells newspapers that the moment they give Boyle a makeover would be the moment "it's spoilt." Indeed, it would be. It would mean we couldn't for that moment feel our little hit of catharsis, of canned "uplift," before going to our usual over-valorization of erotic value and celebrity plasticity. In one sense, Robin Givhan was wrong yesterday to suggest we're fooling ourselves if we think Boyle doesn't need a makeover. She does. But my bet is that the makeover will only disenchant us with her over time. We got the hit we needed, and like any stimulant, its effect will decrease as we try to re-experience it.

injest

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2009, 06:49:09 pm »
I would buy an album by her!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2009, 04:41:22 pm »
Week 3 and only two acts which are possible competition....

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMqFXKmuJ9I[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY-BY4YNs0o[/youtube]

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2009, 12:28:59 pm »
Another fascinating Susan Boyle analysis, from the New York Times:

April 26, 2009
Yes, Looks Do Matter
By PAM BELLUCK

FOR more than a week now, people on both sides of the Atlantic have been using the story of Susan Boyle — the dowdy Scottish spinster who sang her way to fame on “Britain’s Got Talent” TV show — as an example of just how shallow we’ve become.

Before she sang, Ms. Boyle seemed to be merely a frumpy 47-year-old unemployed church volunteer who lived alone with her cat, Pebbles, and had, she said, “never been kissed” (a claim that she later took back).

Now, after the video of her performance went viral, a flurry of commentary has focused on how we stereotype people into categories, how we fall victim to the prejudices of ageism or look-ism, and how we should learn, once and for all, not to judge books by their covers.

But many social scientists and others who study the science of stereotyping say there are reasons we quickly size people up based on how they look. Snap judgments about people are crucial to the way we function, they say — even when those judgments are very wrong.

They would even agree with Ms. Boyle herself, who said after her performance that while society is too quick to judge people by appearance, “There is not much you can do about it; it is the way they think; it is the way they are.”

On a very basic level, judging people by appearance means putting them quickly into impersonal categories, much like deciding whether an animal is a dog or a cat. “Stereotypes are seen as a necessary mechanism for making sense of information,” said David Amodio, an assistant professor of psychology at New York University. “If we look at a chair, we can categorize it quickly even though there are many different kinds of chairs out there.”

Eons ago, this capability was of life-and-death importance, and humans developed the ability to gauge other people within seconds.

Susan Fiske, a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Princeton, said that traditionally, most stereotypes break down into two broad dimensions: whether a person appears to have malignant or benign intent and whether a person appears dangerous. “In ancestral times, it was important to stay away from people who looked angry and dominant,” she said.

Women are also subdivided into “traditionally attractive” women, who “don’t look dominant, have baby-faced features,” Professor Fiske said. “They’re not threatening.”

Indeed, attractiveness is one thing that can make stereotypes self-fulfilling and reinforcing. Attractive people are “credited with being socially skilled,” Professor Fiske said, and maybe they are, because “if you’re beautiful or handsome, people laugh at your jokes and interact with you in such a way that it’s easy to be socially skilled.”

“If you’re unattractive, it’s harder to get all that stuff because people don’t seek you out,” she said.

AGE plays a role in forging stereotypes, too, with older people traditionally seen as “harmless and useless,” Professor Fiske said. In fact, she said, research has shown that racial and ethnic stereotypes are easier to change over time than gender and age stereotypes, which are “particularly sticky.”

One reason our brains persist in using stereotypes, experts say, is that often they give us broadly accurate information, even if all the details don’t line up. Ms. Boyle’s looks, for example, accurately telegraphed much about her biography, including her socioeconomic level and lack of worldly experience.

Her behavior on stage reinforced an outsider image. David Berreby, author of “Us and Them,” about why people categorize one another, said the TV audience may have also judged her harshly because, in banter with the judges before singing, she appeared to be trying, awkwardly, to fit in.

“She tried to be chipper, and when they asked her age, she did this little shimmy,” as though she assumed that on such programs “you’re supposed to be kind of sexy and personable, and she got it wrong,” Mr. Berreby said. “Nothing sort of triggers our contempt more than something trying to be acceptable and then failing.”

When people don’t fit our preconceived notions, we tend to ignore the contradictions, until they are too dramatic to overlook. In those cases, said John F. Dovidio, a psychology professor at Yale, we focus on the contradiction — Ms. Boyle’s voice, for example. While that makes us see her as more of an individual, we also “find a way to make the world make sense again, even if the way we do it is to say, ‘This is an exceptional situation.’ It’s easier for me to keep the same categories in my mind and come up with an explanation for the things that are discrepant.”

Even when presented with multiple exceptions to the stereotype, we often keep the broad category and simply create a subtype, Professor Dovidio said.

For example, President Obama challenged negative stereotypes about blacks, but some people may have come up with a subtype of blacks — black professionals — rather than challenge the overall stereotype, Professor Dovidio said. “That does it in the simplest and most cognitively energy-saving way.”

Scientists are finding that stereotypes are not simply stored and retrieved by the brain, but “are associated with general regions in the brain involved in memory and goal-planning,” Professor Amodio said, suggesting that “people recruit stereotypes to kind of help them plan a world that’s consistent with the goal they might have.”

Professor Fiske’s research suggests that those in low status register differently in the brain. “The part of the brain that normally activates when you are thinking about people is surprisingly silent when you’re looking at homeless people,” she said. “It’s kind of a neural dehumanization. Maybe we can’t bear the horrible situation they are in, or we don’t want to get involved, or we’re afraid we might get contaminated.”

But, she said, the neural response is restored when people are asked to focus on what soup the homeless person might like to eat, something that makes one think about the person as someone with wants or goals.

The fact that we can switch our reactions to people —Ms. Boyle’s status went instantly from low to high — also has roots in our physiology, scientists say.

Professor Dovidio said that encountering discrepancies to stereotypes probably “creates a sort of autonomic arousal” in our peripheral nervous system, triggering spikes of cortisol and other indicators of stress. “That autonomic arousal is going to motivate us to do something in that situation,” he said, especially if the situation is dangerous.

Helen Fisher, an anthropology professor at Rutgers, theorizes that in Ms. Boyle’s case, the audience also experienced a “rush of dopamine” from the surprise pleasure of hearing her voice. “Novelty drives up dopamine in the brain and you feel good,” she said.

That may help explain why so many people are drawn to the Susan Boyle story. But their embrace of her and other underestimated underdogs is unlikely to upend our penchant to stereotype.

MODERN society, with its awareness of the prejudices of history and its unprecedented ability to introduce so many different types of people to one another, may dilute or even neutralize some preconceived notions. But others will persist and new ones will form, experts say.

Which may be why, even as she expressed the hope that “maybe this could teach them a lesson, or set an example,” Ms. Boyle has begun to change her appearance in recent days, wearing makeup, dying her frizzy gray hair, and appearing in more stylish clothing.

“The raw material of saying you’re with me and she’s not is always present,” Mr. Berreby said. “It’s not something we came up with because of TV or the car. It’s not connected to modern life at all. It is inherent in the mind.”

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2009, 12:41:21 pm »
I think the honest emotion being felt now over the death of Bea Arthur speaks well for us.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2009, 04:05:05 pm »
We may have found a pretender to Susan Boyle's throne. Very shy ordinary welsh guy called Jamie PUsh singing "Bring Him Home" from Les Miserables

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=60YFeAJmbuo[/youtube]

Amazing!

Here's an article on him.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-and-lifestyle/showbiz/2009/05/03/singer-jamie-pugh-s-tragic-secret-91466-23529297/

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2009, 04:49:52 pm »
Very nice. Lovely rendition of a song that requires sensitivity. Poor guy, he *was* nervous and terrified, wasn't he? And no wonder - I'd have been petrified. It's such a big audience!

Seems the hidden song talents of Britain have a lot to thank Boublil and Schönberg for. Les Miserables provides a seeming endless number of great songs for vocal talents to try their chords at.  :)  (I use every opportunity here to tout my favourite musical  ;) )

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2009, 04:21:24 pm »
Okay, now I want you guys to give a verdict on this guy BEFORE you watch his act. You can eatch the video up unil about 1min 20 secs before he starts

a) Do you think he'll be good or bad
b) What type of singing do you think he'll do?

Now watch his act, and tell me your retion/what you think afterwards..

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70GksYCpb54[/youtube]

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2009, 04:24:02 pm »
.. and these guys are great fun!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEKTMKeGy00[/youtube]

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2009, 04:51:52 pm »
aawww!!! I love this act - so cute!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5eS-PKW324[/youtube]

and here's a great wee dancer

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw07zAidIrc[/youtube]

Offline Fran

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2009, 05:29:40 pm »
So many talented people!

Check out this little girl with a very big voice:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mAqUWuJayw[/youtube]

Wow!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:01:30 pm by Fran »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2009, 05:03:52 pm »
Hi Fran..

Little Natalie was in the first semi final tonight and she was in the final three (Despite not being nearly as good this time round) but she got knocked out.

The first 2 in the final are

Susan Boyle - who did Memory - no shock there
and
Diversity - and amazing dance group - they're shown earlier in this thread...

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2009, 05:44:08 pm »
I just watched Susan singing Memories.....I was worried at first, she was shaky at the start, but she pulled it off.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2009, 06:19:11 pm »
yeah the first few lines were shaky and I was like - OH NO  :( - but then she came back into her fore.

Offline Fran

« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2009, 06:49:24 pm »
Here's Susan Boyle singing "Memories":

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2XEmMg2HEc[/youtube]

The song gives me goosebumps, whoever's singing it.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2009, 08:07:53 pm »
God I love her.......so refreshing and modest, I hope that she wins this competion.

That being said, I'm surprised that the judges didn't make mention of her shakey start.  I guess they didn't want to ruin the image of the potential winner.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2009, 03:41:12 am »
the other finalist that got through in Susan's heat..

Diversity...

I'm also glad the got thru, they're also very humble and down to earth.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pg3fvanDDc[/youtube]

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2009, 04:54:09 pm »
This lunchtime the Italian news programme TG5  talked about Susan Boyle. She seems to have become a true celebrity all over the world, and she hasn't even won yet.
BbM, I swear

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2009, 05:28:24 pm »
Does she chose her songs herself? I know she dreams of becoming Elaine Page, but "Memories" is so "safe" and trite IMO - I wish she'd do something a little more daring. I liked her "Cry me a River" much better than this. But I guess that won't happen.

Anyone care to guess what she'll be singing in the final? Will there be more than one song there (I have no knowledge of this particular show's concept).

I wouldn't be surprised if she sang "Don't cry for me Argentina". Or perhaps something from Phantom of the Opera?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2009, 05:34:08 pm »
Yup, they choose themselves.

I guess shes going for the songs the public will know so "don't cry for me ..." seems like a good choice for Saturday.

Tonight another dance act and another singer (this time a young guy aged 17) got through.

Peter Coughlan - the male version of Susan Boyle (or this years Paul Potts) went out tonight - the nerves go the better of him I think. He was no where near as good this time around.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2009, 05:47:24 pm »
In the finals, who will decide the winner? Will it be the watching public voting by phone, or the panel of judges deciding, or a combination?

I'm really hoping there won't be a backlash against Susan - that everyone gets it into their head she's too full of herself or something. Even if she doesn't win the whole thing I hope she'll be well received.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2009, 04:24:47 am »
The public vote. They voted her through on Sunday night, and eveyone seems to like her so i think unless s=people get complacent she'll sail through to win it.

Offline Zander

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No reins on me.
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2009, 05:53:43 am »
I  missed it (actually I don't watch it) what did she sing?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2009, 06:51:11 am »
I  missed it (actually I don't watch it) what did she sing?

There's a vid clip at the top of this page, she sang "Memory" from "Cats".

Offline Zander

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No reins on me.
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2009, 08:11:03 am »
I saw it now, not as good as the first song she did and she was a little nervous but I lked it.  I think she has great potential.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2009, 05:55:47 pm »
through tonight..

STAVROS FLATLEY

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUQ41sqTU28[/youtube]

They were better in the heats when they did this..

(embedding is disabled so click on the link!)

and also through tonight is:

SHAHEEN JAFARGHOLI

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0P4R-jGUro[/youtube]

Offline Fran

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2009, 06:14:53 pm »
Kelda, "through tonight" as in no longer in contention?   ???

OT:  I just found the BGT Kate and Gin videos from last year on YouTube.  How cool was that!?!  :) 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:36:39 pm by Fran »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2009, 06:22:20 pm »
sorry these two acts got through to the final tonight.

So the 6 finalists so far are three singers, 2 dance acts and a comedy/dance duo

Offline Fran

« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2009, 10:38:49 pm »
sorry these two acts got through to the final tonight.

So the 6 finalists so far are three singers, 2 dance acts and a comedy/dance duo

Oh, the good kind of "through"!  Thanks for the clarification, Kelda.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2009, 08:53:31 pm »

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2009, 09:08:06 pm »
Aww, darn. I was hoping she'd get to sing for the Queen.

That dance group was amazing too. Especially the little kid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2009, 09:12:22 pm »
I was too, but I'm not concerned for her.

Simon Cowell is no fool.  I'm sure he's noticed the amount of attention she's received, and he'll have her signed and working on a CD very quickly.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2009, 09:14:53 pm »
I was too, but I'm not concerned for her.

Simon Cowell is no fool.  I'm sure he's noticed the amount of attention she's received, and he'll have her signed and working on a CD very quickly.

You're right. I hope good things come her way.

I love Simon. And I think he's very handsome.  ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Fran

« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2009, 11:15:33 pm »
Susan Boyle's performance in the finals:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2xiAQCTy2E[/youtube]

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2009, 05:38:26 pm »
I was gobsmacked she didn't win but actually I think its good Diversity won - they get the acclaim and the prize money and what comes from winning BGT- but shes still going to make money and albums depsite not winning.

If they hadnt won, I think they'd have drifted into the background never to be heard of again... that wont happen now.

And they were VERY good.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2009, 11:28:08 pm »
Susan Boyle Checks into the Priory

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/britain_got_talent/2458062/Susan-Boyle-checks-into-The-Priory-Britains-Got-Talent.html

BRITAIN'S Got Talent sensation Susan Boyle was in the Priory clinic last night suffering from exhaustion.

The singer, dubbed SuBo, had an "emotional breakdown" following Saturday's final in which she was runner-up.

But the talent show favourite was still eyeing a mega United States tour.

The 48-year-old virgin, tipped to earn £8MILLION, survived tears and a tantrum to finish second in Saturday's gripping final of telly's Britain's Got Talent.

But the pressure finally told late yesterday as the Scots singer - dubbed SuBo by fans - was rushed to the private clinic suffering from exhaustion.

Show aides had contacted police to say she was acting strangely at her London hotel.

Paramedics helped the "spaced-out" star through the lobby and into an ambulance just after 6pm.

A Met Police Inspector and a police doctor were called to assist. The ambulance, tailed by a police car, then took her to the Priory in Southgate, North London.

A source at the hotel said last night: "She'd been at the hotel for a few days, but since Saturday's final had been acting strangely, causing a bit of a stir.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline optom3

« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2009, 12:31:40 am »
Susan Boyle Checks into the Priory

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/britain_got_talent/2458062/Susan-Boyle-checks-into-The-Priory-Britains-Got-Talent.html

BRITAIN'S Got Talent sensation Susan Boyle was in the Priory clinic last night suffering from exhaustion.

The singer, dubbed SuBo, had an "emotional breakdown" following Saturday's final in which she was runner-up.

But the talent show favourite was still eyeing a mega United States tour.

The 48-year-old virgin, tipped to earn £8MILLION, survived tears and a tantrum to finish second in Saturday's gripping final of telly's Britain's Got Talent.

But the pressure finally told late yesterday as the Scots singer - dubbed SuBo by fans - was rushed to the private clinic suffering from exhaustion.

Show aides had contacted police to say she was acting strangely at her London hotel.

Paramedics helped the "spaced-out" star through the lobby and into an ambulance just after 6pm.

A Met Police Inspector and a police doctor were called to assist. The ambulance, tailed by a police car, then took her to the Priory in Southgate, North London.

A source at the hotel said last night: "She'd been at the hotel for a few days, but since Saturday's final had been acting strangely, causing a bit of a stir.

It calls to mind the phrase, be careful what you wish for as you may just get it.

Offline Fran

« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2009, 12:55:09 am »
I'm sorry to hear this. :(

Susan Boyle has certainly been through a lot, especially since she auditioned in Week 1 (as opposed to Week 6) and has been hounded by the media and fans ever since.  Let's face it, not everyone can handle well the stress of becoming an overnight sensation.  It must be absolutely overwhelming for her.  Well, at least she was able to hold herself together long enough to perform in the finals.  I read somewhere that her gown for the finals still had not arrived 15 minutes before she was set to perform.  How nerve-racking must that have been for her. She was a very gracious loser to Diversity, even saying on stage that she thought the best act won.  I give her kudos for saying that. 

I hope she makes a full recovery and that the press and her fans will give her some space during her recovery period. I also hope that she has somebody looking out for her, somebody who has her best interests at heart, not just her ability to make money.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2009, 01:34:50 am »
I agree with you Kelda. Diversity WAS extremely good - deserved the win.

Of the three acts Bryan & I saw this afternoon, (Diversity, Susan Boyle & Flawless), I would certainly have chosen Diversity. Bryan claims he would have chosen Susan - but then he was prob'ly just being argumentative.  ;)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2009, 04:18:43 am »
I agree with you Kelda. Diversity WAS extremely good - deserved the win.

Of the three acts Bryan & I saw this afternoon, (Diversity, Susan Boyle & Flawless), I would certainly have chosen Diversity. Bryan claims he would have chosen Susan - but then he was prob'ly just being argumentative.  ;)

The guy on the saxaphone (who came third) was amazing too. Julien Smith I think his name. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an album.

And a fan favourite in the Uk was Stavros Flately - a once trick pony but they were sooooo funny!!

Offline ZK

« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2009, 07:29:12 am »
I'm sorry to hear this. :(

Susan Boyle has certainly been through a lot, especially since she auditioned in Week 1 (as opposed to Week 6) and has been hounded by the media and fans ever since.  Let's face it, not everyone can handle well the stress of becoming an overnight sensation.  It must be absolutely overwhelming for her.  Well, at least she was able to hold herself together long enough to perform in the finals.  I read somewhere that her gown for the finals still had not arrived 15 minutes before she was set to perform.  How nerve-racking must that have been for her. She was a very gracious loser to Diversity, even saying on stage that she thought the best act won.  I give her kudos for saying that. 

I hope she makes a full recovery and that the press and her fans will give her some space during her recovery period. I also hope that she has somebody looking out for her, somebody who has her best interests at heart, not just her ability to make money.

I am with you Fran, and I was really surprised she did not win, but I am certain when (rather than if) she recovers then she will get her dream to sing in front of the Queen.

Offline Fran

« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2009, 09:44:14 am »
Good news!

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jun/05/susan-boyle-released-hospital/news-breaking/

Susan Boyle is released from hospital

By The Associated Press
Published: June 5, 2009

The brother of talent-show contestant Susan Boyle says the singer has left a mental health care facility and is doing better.

Gerry Boyle told GMTV Friday that his sister had been released from the London clinic. She was admitted Sunday, after coming in second place in the "Britain's Got Talent" television show.

Gerry Boyle says his sister suffered from an anxiety attack but now seems "a lot more like herself."

In eight weeks, Boyle went from the quiet life of a church volunteer in a small town in Scotland to global fame.

Offline Fran

« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2009, 10:02:00 am »
Piers Morgan reflects on the BGT final:

http://www.officialpiersmorgan.com/2009/06/01/reflecting-on-a-record-breaking-series/

Reflecting on a Record Breaking Series
June 1, 2009

When the ratings figures came in this morning for last night’s final, I had to check them four times through my bleary eyes (the after-show party was long and lugubrious).

The peak audience during the results show was an astonishing 19.2 million. That is the biggest figure for any TV show this millennium, by miles.

And it proves that this series of Britain’s Got Talent was the biggest, the best, and the most truly global reality show in TV history.

Ever since Susan Boyle’s audition clip roared around the internet seven weeks ago, the show grabbed the fascination of the whole world.

And, as I said on the show last night, it’s so good to have something that shows off the best of Britain, after all the damage our politicians and bankers have done to this country’s reputation in the last few months.

As for the finale itself, words almost (only almost, mind…) fail me.

It was one of the most stunning events I can ever remember.

Every act performed superbly, and collectively they represented an almost perfect snapshot of what real Britain is like - creative, imaginative, dynamic, funny, eccentric, and patriotic.

I was rooting for Susan Boyle, and make no apologies for doing so.

To me, she has been the greatest discovery the show’s ever found. And I’m only sorry that the extraordinary tidal wave of publicity she attracted meant so many people got either bored or irritated by Boyle mania and decided not to vote for her as a result.

I genuinely believe that if she had been on one of the later audition shows, rather than the first one, she would have won easily.

Showbusiness is a fickle business, and the reality TV end of it even more so.

The British, and I’m as guilty as everyone else, like nothing better than building people up, and knocking ‘em down again.

But the good news for Susan is that we also have a tendency to feel sorry (and slightly guilty) for people after the ‘backlash’, and they usually end up even more popular than they were before.

I thought she sang absolutely beautifully last night. Which given that she told me she’d spent most of the week crying, throwing up, not sleeping and generally feeling the weight of the world’s pressures on her, was a remarkable achievement.

To the cynics and critics who sneered at her, I simply ask: why?

It wasn’t Susan’s fault that she became this global phenomenon.

It was OUR fault. We, the public and the media, who latched onto her amazing audition performance and decided she was the woman to lift us all out of our doom and gloom.

I was incredibly proud of Susan last night, and was bemused to wake up to the headlines all screaming ‘END OF THE DREAM’ this morning.

Susan’s dream was not to win a talent show. It was to have a professional singing career.

And now she’s going to have one. I predict she will have a huge selling album out in a few months, and more to follow.

Britain’s Got Talent has been a rollercoaster ride for her, but it has also allowed her to live, and realise, her dream.

Coming second may just be the best thing that ever happens to her. She can now focus on recording an album without all the added pressure and attention she would have got for winning the show.

As for Diversity, they were brilliant last night, and thoroughly deserve to win. I can’t think of better role models than this dazzlingly talented, polite, humble, group of true Brits.

I feel for Flawless though. It’s not easy going first in the final, and I honestly thought they were just as good as Diversity. I hope they, too, go on to have a successful career because they deserve it.

As for me, I’m having a day off today and intend to do absolutely nothing whatsoever.

It’s been the craziest, most draining, mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting week of my life.
But in a few weeks, I’ve got to do and do it all again on America’s Got Talent.

No rest for the wicked.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2009, 05:12:36 pm »
through tonight..

STAVROS FLATLEY

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUQ41sqTU28[/youtube]

They were better in the heats when they did this..

(embedding is disabled so click on the link!)

and also through tonight is:

SHAHEEN JAFARGHOLI

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0P4R-jGUro[/youtube]

Remember this post? Well this wee guy wowed the crowds.. but didn't place in the top 3.

Well, I'm marvelling that Simon Cowell managed to get a money making ploy outta the Micheal Jackson Memorial thingy-ma-jig. Little Shaheen Jafargholi has now been seen more people than Susan Boyle on you-tube... no doubt! Who said he was finished after not making the final 3!?!