Author Topic: TOTW 2/09: Questions about Jack's last will particularly his cremation  (Read 9906 times)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: TOTW 2/09: Questions about Jack's last will respectively his cremation
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 11:27:16 pm »
Dev, just a word of advice about your will.........I am fairly sure, that once a person marries, any will that they have written before that marriage becomes null and void.

Might be an idea to check that up.

OK thanks, Sue.  I'll check it out.  It just seems so easy to already have the legal document already to go...    Figures there'd be a glitch.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 11:32:06 pm »
I dare not say something about cremation, because some or many of you will dislike that idea!

It is however a HUGE puzzle: WHY DID JACK ask for cremation?

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
Re: TOTW 2/09: Questions about Jack's last will particularly his cremation
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 05:21:21 am »
He obviously asked for cremation, so his ashes could be scattered on Brokeback Mountain.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 07:09:13 am »
He obviously asked for cremation, so his ashes could be scattered on Brokeback Mountain.

So true, it brings on the tears in my eyes.   :'(

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 08:57:37 am »
Dev, just a word of advice about your will.........I am fairly sure, that once a person marries, any will that they have written before that marriage becomes null and void.

Might be an idea to check that up.

I think laws governing wills vary hugely from country to country and from state to state within the U.S.  Not that it involved the issue of marriage, but we got a taste of how complex a will can be with all the complications that came up with Heath's will.

Anyway,  I agree that Jack's decision to be cremated was probably very deliberately about wanting to have his ashes scattered on Brokeback.  How he thought Ennis would get a hold of them, I suppose will remain one of those big unanswered questions.

My grandparents on my Dad's side were cremated.  I personally think it's a nice idea. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 09:23:04 am »

Anyway,  I agree that Jack's decision to be cremated was probably very deliberately about wanting to have his ashes scattered on Brokeback.  How he thought Ennis would get a hold of them, I suppose will remain one of those big unanswered questions.

We  have to remember, that Jack did not know that he would die before Ennis. So it is likely, that by telling his family he wanted his ashes scattered on Brokeback, he was expecting THEM to carry out his wishes. Even if they did not know where it was, if they wanted to honour his wish, they would have found it on a map.

injest

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 09:25:50 am »
my take.

It is unusual for a person that young (and at that age) to make such specific instructions for his burial.

and we all know that Jack was a talker and dreamer.

so

I think he talked about his love for Brokeback Mountain because he COULDN'T talk about his love for Ennis. for him BBM was a standin, a safe way to reminice about that time with Ennis...and the spreading of the ashes was just a continuation of that talk...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 10:55:48 am »
I do not think that there were ashes at all, maybe.

That was a way to tell something, like Jack is still alive!

I tend to view it like that as a possibility!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 12:18:44 pm »
my take.

It is unusual for a person that young (and at that age) to make such specific instructions for his burial.

and we all know that Jack was a talker and dreamer.

so

I think he talked about his love for Brokeback Mountain because he COULDN'T talk about his love for Ennis. for him BBM was a standin, a safe way to reminice about that time with Ennis...and the spreading of the ashes was just a continuation of that talk...

Jess, Jake was 38 when he died,not a young teenager.

I agree that Jack obviously did talk about Brokeback, maybe to bring that part of his life into the life he was now living...and probably when he had been drinking and reminiscing about his past. I doubt if it would have been written down, even if he did have a written will, but he probably got drunk enough times and mentioned it enough times that Laureen heard it enough to know that Brokeback was where he wanted to end up.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 03:11:13 pm »
Artiste, you got me to thinking...Jack narrowly escaped being struck by lightning up on Brokenback, and Aguirre held it against him that sheep died, as if he could control the weather. But in the end he did control something about his own death. He asked for cremation, so in the end he was destroyed by fire. It was a bitterly fitting end for the man from Lightning Flat, high on the Wyoming plateau almost within sight of Devil's Tower.

Jack was reborn in a way, as his ashes would have fertilized the flowers that grow on Brokeback Mountain. The pasque flowers are beginning to show their buds right now, I'm sure!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"