Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 136466 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2009, 10:28:15 pm »
Miss California to Campaign Against Gay Marriage

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/30/miss-california-carrie-pr_0_n_193503.html

NEW YORK - The reigning Miss California has gone to Washington to help launch a campaign opposing same-sex marriage.

Carrie Prejean told NBC's "Today" show Thursday that she'll be working with the National Organization for Marriage to "protect traditional marriages."

The 21-year-old says that marriage is "something that is very dear to my heart" and she's in Washington to help save it.

She says many people have thanked her for standing up for traditional marriage.

Guess we know now that Miss CA did not "misspeak".  She actually meant "country" when speaking about marriage only being between a man and a woman.  Not just for herself, not just for her circle of friends and family.  She means it for the entire country.

I wonder how she thinks she is going to "save it"?  Is she going to work on the 50% divorce rate?  Oops, probably not.  She just wants to keep the gays out of the "sanctity" of it all.  ::)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2009, 10:32:59 pm »
Guess we know now that Miss CA did not "misspeak".  She actually meant "country" when speaking about marriage only being between a man and a woman.  Not just for herself, not just for her circle of friends and family.  She means it for the entire country.

I wonder how she thinks she is going to "save it"?  Is she going to work on the 50% divorce rate?  Oops, probably not.  She just wants to keep the gays out of the "sanctity" of it all.  ::)

maybe she's going to hold an umbrella to keep the gay rain off America in the "gathering storm."
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2009, 10:34:25 pm »

Effeminacy and homosexuality are not synonymous unless we're willing to accept that the stereotype is always true.

Moreover, my experience has been that people who are truly not homophobic are comfortable with a masculine homosexual male, whereas an effeminate guy illicits a "cringe" factor. 

I suspect that flamboyantly effeminate gay men are, like drag queens, anachronistic left overs. In a more homophobic past stereotyped gay men were routinely degraded and EXPECTED to assume a "female" rather than a "masculine" role in society.  I find effeminacy just as offensive as I find drag queens tacky, and IMO they are both products of society's attempts at degradation and scorn.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2009, 10:35:46 pm »
1. I didn't bring up effeminacy, oilgun did. So don't blame me for taking this thread off topic.

2. I have NEVER condemned femininity. Stop putting words in my mouth.

3. I can and will discuss my POV on effeminacy wherever the subject presents itself. It is not a topic to be discussed on Modern Manhood only.

Rx

agreed

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2009, 10:38:26 pm »

She actually meant "country" when speaking about marriage only being between a man and a woman.  Not just for herself, not just for her circle of friends and family.  She means it for the entire country.

no I do not know that your opinion is a fact, and I can't see how you would know it without making assumptions that are divorced from her ENTIRE STATEMENT THAT EVENING.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2009, 10:45:43 pm »
no I do not know that your opinion is a fact, and I can't see how you would know it without making assumptions that are divorced from her ENTIRE STATEMENT THAT EVENING.

maybe she watched the video in that link?  Prejean was pretty blatant about her position as a celebrity spokesperson for National Organization for Marriage.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2009, 10:48:00 pm »
can you please bring your loud condemnations of femininity and effeminacy BACK to your blog?  That has nothing to do with this topic about gay marriage and the Miss USA pageant at ALL.

I disagree, the discussion about effeminacy evolved organically from Gary's excellent post.  And besides, how much more can be said about that Born-again-Bimbo-with-the- fake-boobs- that-the-Miss-California-organization-paid-for.  Is that on topic enough for you, lol!

Nobody here is condemming feminity in women but society sure condemns feminity in men.  

Milo:  Effeminacy = weak = being like a woman often referred to by knuckle-draggers as the weaker sex. That's why it's called effeminacy.

Injest:   Thanks for supporting my position by saying men love tomboys, lol!  :-*

Ok I'm done in this thread,  I don't want to be banned.  I obviously missed the prior discussion on this subject, where was it?

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2009, 10:49:56 pm »

What Louise said.  She's quoted in what she plans to do.

Sorry Bill but her belief that marriage is between a man and woman only in her "country" in her earlier statement is now pretty obviously a Freudian slip.  She doesn't suddenly decide to go national in her beliefs, if they're just deep and personal beliefs for her and her little circle and she's "glad everyone else has choice".  She's obviously not glad "everyone else has choice".  That was obviously political talk while she was trying to win a crown.  Competition's over.  In fact she doesn't believe what she said, so much so, she's going to do her level best to end the choice for gay people.  Just like Mel Gibson's drunken anti-Semitic rants.  These don't just suddenly appear out of nowhere.

You can keep giving her the benefit of the doubt if you wish, but just as Gary predicted in his post, sooner or later the leopard shows her spots.

retropian

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2009, 10:55:55 pm »
Effeminate men are usually assumed to be homosexual until proven straight, so the way I see it , a distaste for effeminacy IS homophobia.  It's all part of that patriarchal system where men have a higher social standing,  So when a man is perceived to be acting like a woman, he is "debasing" himself and conversely, women who act like men are actually worthy of respect for attempting to elevate their status.

Yup. Well said.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club