Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 137043 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #180 on: May 01, 2009, 04:49:44 pm »
It is not surprising she would be used as a front/spokesperson for anti-gay hate groups. She is pretty and telegenic and uses polite and unoffensive language (to many) and so she can be used as a tool to try and con people. The comment in the article about how friendly she is to gay people reminds me of white people in the 50's and 60's who where also good law abiding church going folk who would say they had no problem with the "Negro's", and could and would be perfectly nice and civil to the black people in their communities, so long as they didn't get "uppity" and demand their full and equal rights. People like Miss. CA. are like that. They're fine with Gay people, so long as they know their place and are content to ride in the back of the bus.

what is not a surprise is that now Ms Prejean has been made into a spokesperson for hetero only marriage.

and who created her status and usefulness as a spokeperson? - why of course it was the idiot blogger Lavandeira, and his vicious misogynist attacks on her.

curious how the far right Bible thumpers and the idiot left in the gay community feed off each other, one can't fundraise without the other. a kind of sick symbiosis.

but as long as there are deluded people on the left who will reflexively applaud cretins like Lavandeira and angry Bible thumpers on the right who focus their hate on gay people, this silly drama will go on and on. 

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #181 on: May 01, 2009, 11:19:56 pm »
and who created her status and usefulness as a spokeperson? - why of course it was the idiot blogger Lavandeira, and his vicious misogynist attacks on her

I'm inclined to think she did that herself.  Her answer was the shocking part, not Perez's attack on her afterwards. The fact that she was booed - and then the fact that she was also cheered for admitting her bigotry and being proud of it.

What you see now happening are the bigoted crowd jumping on a person who "thinks like them" but is also beautiful, polite and with a nice Christian upbringing.

Usually the anti-gay crowds are fronted by crabbed men and clownlike Tammy Faye impersonators from TVangelist world.  Miss CA is much prettier and as we can all tell, many people are willing to give the benefit of the doubt to such a person - no matter what she is saying.  I'm not sure why that is.  Are people still equating beauty with 'goodness'? 

injest

« Reply #182 on: May 01, 2009, 11:24:08 pm »
and the band plays on...

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #183 on: May 02, 2009, 12:52:49 am »
Just came to the conclusion.......

I dont like him, I dont like her, I dont like beauty pageants, I dont like bigots, I dont like homophobes......and I dont like wasting my time on things I dont like.........

adios to this thread.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2009, 11:47:50 am »
Just came to the conclusion.......

I dont like him, I dont like her, I dont like beauty pageants, I dont like bigots, I dont like homophobes......and I dont like wasting my time on things I dont like.........

adios to this thread.

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline oilgun

« Reply #185 on: May 02, 2009, 11:55:51 am »
what is not a surprise is that now Ms Prejean has been made into a spokesperson for hetero only marriage.

and who created her status and usefulness as a spokeperson? - why of course it was the idiot blogger Lavandeira, and his vicious misogynist attacks on her.

curious how the far right Bible thumpers and the idiot left in the gay community feed off each other, one can't fundraise without the other. a kind of sick symbiosis.

but as long as there are deluded people on the left who will reflexively applaud cretins like Lavandeira and angry Bible thumpers on the right who focus their hate on gay people, this silly drama will go on and on.  
Who is applauding Perez Hilton?  No one on this thread that's for sure.  In fact everyone made sre to specify that they disliked the sycophant.
Anyway, BP, you forgot to add : As long as there are loony right-wngers who reflexively defend anyone liberals don't like...

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #186 on: May 02, 2009, 12:26:51 pm »
I'm confused here, but I'm old, and old people confuse easily.

Perez Hilton's outburst was NOT caused by the answer that Ms. Prejean gave to that randomly selected question, but Ms. Prejean becoming a save-marriage spokesperson WAS caused by Perez Hilton's outburst?

I thought it was a basic conservative and liberal tenet that we are EACH responsible for our OWN actions.

Why are some people  sometimes responsible for other people's actions and sometimes not?

injest

« Reply #187 on: May 02, 2009, 02:43:04 pm »
I'm confused here, but I'm old, and old people confuse easily.

Perez Hilton's outburst was NOT caused by the answer that Ms. Prejean gave to that randomly selected question, but Ms. Prejean becoming a save-marriage spokesperson WAS caused by Perez Hilton's outburst?

I thought it was a basic conservative and liberal tenet that we are EACH responsible for our OWN actions.

Why are some people  sometimes responsible for other people's actions and sometimes not?

ok, I'll try to explain it the way I see it. Ms Prejean was in a contest where she was asked a question. She did not have an option to not answer the question, it was just one part of the contest...she knew this going in and agreed to it. Mr. Lavandeira asked her a question that he had a personal interest in. She answered it to the best of her ability and according to her own beliefs. HE chose to dock her for her answer and she lost the contest.

the situation should have ended there. Within the context of the contest. She answered, he disapproved and punished her.

It was not enough for Mr. Lavandeira however....he had to attempt to destroy her. He ranted, he raved, he made appearances denouncing her, he made videos and posted them online.

She has a right to be angry.

Her answer was part of a contest (part of her 'job' if you will) and NOT an attempt to personally destroy or impune Mr. Lavandeira.

HE on the other hand made it very personal...he attacked HER.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #188 on: May 02, 2009, 03:02:15 pm »
Didn't they both choose their own course of action?

I don't understand blaming Perez Hilton for  Prejean's actions and not holding Prejean responsible for Hilton's actions.

Did either force the other to make their responses?

Didn't both have cause to be angry?

Either both of these people are each responsible for their own actions or neither is.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #189 on: May 02, 2009, 03:11:54 pm »
Shouldn't judges be impartial? I don't think Perez Hilton was. I blame the pageant officials.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~