Author Topic: A Few of Our Favorite Things  (Read 70231 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
A Few of Our Favorite Things
« on: April 22, 2009, 04:42:58 pm »
I thought it would be fun to start a thread about some of the little items sitting around the house that bring us joy, or hold a special place in our hearts. We all have certain items that bring back happy memories from our youth, or of special occassions in our lives. Maybe we can take pictures of some of those things and post them here, along with a commentary explaining what they are and why they are so special to us. :)

I'll go first!

I've been busy cleaning out the cupboards at Dad's house. I'm constantly coming across something my Mother safely packed away before she died. Some of these things have been hidden away for years. Last week I found an entire set of cobalt blue glassware. I remember seeing these inside my Grandmother's china cabinet in her dining room when I was little. I always thought they were so pretty. They are very old - they were originally my Great Grandmother's and then they were handed down to my Grandmother later on. She also had some very beautiful ruby red glassware, but I have yet to find those. I took a picture of three pieces from the set.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Re: A Few of Our Favorite Things
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 04:51:52 pm »
These cups or mugs are from my Dad's side of the family. I remember drinking hot chocolate out of them when I was a kid. They are hand painted and the scenes on each one of them are obviously Dutch but the stamp on the bottom indicates they were made in Germany. :-\

Here is a close-up of one of the cups. We can see two boys walking on green grass and crossing a path with some windmills in the background.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:01:08 pm »
I also just found this little teapot which Mom had tucked away for storage. I remember seeing this teapot when I was little. Mom always used it when her bridge buddies came to the house to play cards. It is porcelain and it has tiny raised flowers around the top. It has the word "England" stamped on the bottom. It also has four matching teacups and saucers.

injest

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:18:35 pm »
good thread!!

I have something but I have to make a pic of it! I will be BACK!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:43:21 pm »
There is a story behind this.

After my Dad was injured in the Korean War for the third time - this time very severely - he was sent to a hospital in Japan for a number of surgeries and healing. Just before he was to return home he asked one of the orderlies at the hospital to please go to the store and buy a cute Japanese toy doll for his niece Micky. The young man was more than happy to oblige, but since he was Japanese and didn't understand English very well, he didn't fully understand Dad's request and returned with a geisha doll in a case. Dad decided to give it to his Mother instead and had it packed up and shipped off stateside.

When I was little, I always looked forward to seeing this doll at my Grandma's house. She kept it on a very high shelf in her dining room. Since I was not allowed to touch the doll I insisted that an adult lift me up high so I could see it. I was fascinated by it. After Grandma died the doll came to our house. You can probably notice the tape on the front holding the glass in place. The hinges are coming off. I would like to have the case professionally restored someday.

The case is just under 3 feet tall and the doll is slightly smaller than that... maybe 24 inches. This doll holds a lot of very special and magical memories for me, especially now that I know the full story behind her. :)

injest

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 11:16:05 pm »
Ok, here are my little faves...

Don gave this to me the year we got married..

injest

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:31:33 pm »
Here is a close-up of one of the cups. We can see two boys walking on green grass and crossing a path with some windmills in the background.

I like that they are holding hands!!

:)

injest

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 11:32:43 pm »
I thought it would be fun to start a thread about some of the little items sitting around the house that bring us joy, or hold a special place in our hearts. We all have certain items that bring back happy memories from our youth, or of special occassions in our lives. Maybe we can take pictures of some of those things and post them here, along with a commentary explaining what they are and why they are so special to us. :)

I'll go first!

I've been busy cleaning out the cupboards at Dad's house. I'm constantly coming across something my Mother safely packed away before she died. Some of these things have been hidden away for years. Last week I found an entire set of cobalt blue glassware. I remember seeing these inside my Grandmother's china cabinet in her dining room when I was little. I always thought they were so pretty. They are very old - they were originally my Great Grandmother's and then they were handed down to my Grandmother later on. She also had some very beautiful ruby red glassware, but I have yet to find those. I took a picture of three pieces from the set.

whacha gonna do with all this stuff you are cleaning out? these are beautiful!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 11:50:34 pm »
I like that they are holding hands!!

:)

That's the one I used to drink out of most of the time! I wonder why? ;)

Ok, here are my little faves...

Don gave this to me the year we got married..

Awww! I love that horse!! That is so cute Don gave it to you. :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 12:52:48 am »
These were my Grandpa's when he was little. They are little stone building blocks. I used to have lots of fun building castles and churches with them. They are pretty old - one box is dated 1900 and the other box is dated 1911.

They weren't quite as good as my Lego's and Lincoln Logs, but they were pretty close! :D

In the first picture you will see I started to build a little structure for you. Maybe a church?