Author Topic: A Few of Our Favorite Things  (Read 70254 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: A Few of Our Favorite Things
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 09:41:23 am »
Ooh, I like this thread! I will definitely be contributing here. Alas, however, it is almost midnight and I'll soon be off to bed. I'll look around for some things to photograph tomorrow, and see what I can come up with.

My favorites so far are the stunning blue glass and the pretty ribbons.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 07:05:25 pm »
David, you make sure you dont' throw or give away this stuff without checking first! I bet those toy blocks are worth quite a bit of money!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 12:33:42 am »
David, you make sure you dont' throw or give away this stuff without checking first! I bet those toy blocks are worth quite a bit of money!

Oh I'm not planning on getting rid of anything Jess. I will be keeping all of those things. And then hand them down to my niece and nephew when I die. :)

I'm not sure how much those toy blocks are worth. A couple of them are damaged- a small chip off the corner of them. But only a couple. The rest of them are in perfect condition. They are very old and very unusual. I had a lot of fun playing with them when I was little. Between the two boxes there's enough blocks to build a very impressive castle!

Did you notice the house those two kids are building in the picture? I wonder how many blocks THAT would take?!!

Ooh, I like this thread! I will definitely be contributing here. Alas, however, it is almost midnight and I'll soon be off to bed. I'll look around for some things to photograph tomorrow, and see what I can come up with.

My favorites so far are the stunning blue glass and the pretty ribbons.  :D

I can't wait to see your pictures Kerry! I'm looking forward to seeing them. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 12:45:32 am »
These were my Grandfather's figurines. He kept them in the hutch in the guest bedroom. My sister and I often played with them when we were visiting in Cincinnati. They went to Mom after Grandpa died. There used to be one more figurine in the collection but I chewed its head off and I guess he threw it away. I was only 5 or 6 when I did it!  :laugh:

If you notice the figurine over towards the right, you will see he is missing part of his foot. I think I chewed that off too. :P

These figurines are very light. They feel like they were carved out of balsa wood, or some other very light type of wood. Maybe drift wood. I'm not sure.

Here's what Grandpa wrote on the bottom of one of the figurines...

In case you can't read his hand writing, it says "Hand Carved Rustic Art Shop Quebec"

Another one has a number written on the bottom of it. It says 18.50, with a line drawn under the number 50. I can't imagine that would have been the price of the figurine because he bought them back in the 1930s or early 1940s.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 12:52:51 am »
Grandma and Grandpa always put this angel out at Christmas. She sat on their coffee table in the living room. She plays Silent Night when you wind her up.

She is now at Dad's house and he leaves her out all year long. She's made of porcelain and she is about 8 inches tall. When we visited Grandma and Grandpa in Cincinnati my sister and I slept upstairs in the attic. It was a very nice attic, it was carpeted, the walls were painted and it had a big comfortable bed up there, but it was very hot most of the time. They didn't have airconditioning. So sometimes Mom would pull that angel out from the stored Christmas decorations, wind it up and the music would help me go to sleep.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 12:57:04 am »
Grandpa also kept these two figurines in the guest bedroom hutch, and my sister and I would play with them along with the figurines up above. These two figurines depict an Amish man and woman. Grandpa bought them when he was visiting northern Indiana. They are very heavy. They are made of cast iron and hand painted.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 01:01:28 am »
Mom enjoyed making ceramics. She took pottery classes at the local art center up until the year she died. She made this little frog and I think he's cute. He really doesn't serve much of a purpose though. He just sits on the coffee table. I suppose he could be used as a paper weight perhaps. I love the little smile on his face! :)

Mom made a lot of frogs! She loved frogs. She also made a lot of cute piggy banks. I will take a picture of one of them. She even made a little teapot. I took a picture of it and posted it over in the "Do you like tea" thread.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 01:05:32 am »
This is Mom's "Stag Horn Fern". Well, that's what SHE called it anyway. It doesn't really look like a fern to me though. :-\

She loved this fern. It was her BABY!! It has grown quite a bit since she's been gone. Dad and I have been trying to take good care of it since she loved it so much. It is currently sitting in the bay window in the living room. It is almost time to move it outside to the deck. It loves the warm sunny weather and flourishes in the summer. That is, as long as the squirrels leave it alone. Sometimes they try to nibble on it. :P

injest

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 01:23:58 am »
oh I envy you all these memories....we moved so much when I was little...everything was lost or broken along the way, there is no home or attic to go thru...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 01:56:59 am »
oh I envy you all these memories....we moved so much when I was little...everything was lost or broken along the way, there is no home or attic to go thru...

I'm sure you probably have some things around from when you and Don were first married - like that horse! Or maybe some of your son's toys and items when he was very little. :)

I'm just now rediscovering some of these things as I clean out the cupboards at Dad's house.