Author Topic: A Few of Our Favorite Things  (Read 70233 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: A Few of Our Favorite Things
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 01:42:34 am »
Here it is Kerry. And like you, there is only one teacup and saucer. I'm not sure about the story behind it either. But I like your cup and saucer much better. It's more colorful. :)

There is some damage on the base of the teacup. I may try to get it restored at some point in the future.

The bottom of the cup and saucer is marked "G.P.A. France" (I think that's what it says)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 01:47:37 am »
I'm so glad you like Mum's tea set, David. Do please post the pics of your Mum's china. Wouldn't it be a hoot if it was also Salisbury! (Oops, your post came in while I was writing this post. Your Mum's French tea cup is gorgeous, David.)

I totally agree that it’s the story behind the object that gives it so much meaning, and  I’ve been enjoying reading  this thread, just as much as viewing  it.

Inspired by the pic of your mother’s beautiful staghorn, David, here’s a pic of one of my mother’s favourite plants. I don’t know what type of plant it is, but I do know the story behind it.

One day in the 1980s, Mum was visiting the local nursery. She found some half-dead plants on the bargain table, from where she chose to take this little fellow home. Well, he isn’t so little anymore, but he was when Mum adopted him. He was in a tiny little pot and definitely on his last legs. Mum transferred him to a larger pot and gave him a stake for support, along with lots of tender loving care. When Mum passed away almost 20 years ago, he came to me. He is still in the same pot Mum transferred him to all those years ago, and if you dig under all that healthy undergrowth, you will find the same little stake Mum first gave him for support.

He’s nearly 30 years old now and still thriving. Whenever I water him, I always think of my dear Mama. For me, this plant is a living connection to her.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2009, 01:50:36 am »
I'm not sure what's up with this. We have a set of teacups and small plates - not saucers. There is also a pair of salt and pepper shakers and a creamer. Maybe I haven't found the entire set. I really don't know. But I remember seeing these teacups in Grandma's china cabinet.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2009, 02:00:26 am »

That's a beautiful plant Kerry! I think it is so sweet your Mom saved it and then cared for it. And you've been doing a very good job because the plant looks very healthy! You mentioned a connection to your Mother. That's how I feel about Mom's fern too. She cared for it and babied it and I think a part of her has been infused into it. :)

It's probably the same thing with your Mom's plant too.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 02:04:15 am »
Here's a little cat my Mom made. Is he a cat? Or maybe a tiger? He reminds me of a cartoon character, but I can't think of which one. Anyway, he stands about 2 inches tall. He's very tiny. He sits on the window sill in the dining room. Mom loved animals and many of her pieces were of frogs, cats.. she even made a Kiwi bird but the squirrels knocked him off the picnic table and broke into a dozen pieces. I've been trying to glue him back together with little success.

Anyway, here's the kitty cat!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2009, 02:16:33 am »
That's a beautiful plant Kerry! I think it is so sweet your Mom saved it and then cared for it. And you've been doing a very good job because the plant looks very healthy! You mentioned a connection to your Mother. That's how I feel about Mom's fern too. She cared for it and babied it and I think a part of her has been infused into it. :)

It's probably the same thing with your Mom's plant too.

Spot on, David. I feel exactly the same way. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2009, 02:20:55 am »

Awwww, I love your Mama's kitty, David. What a cute lil face he's got. I love the quizzical look on his face. And his whiskers and his paws too. So cute. Your Mum was very talented, David. I know you will always treasure these beautiful objects she made with her own hands.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2009, 02:32:00 am »
Here's the kiwi I was telling you about. Poor thing. He always stayed outside on the deck and the squirrels knocked him off last year. His feet and the base were broken off. So I've been trying to glue all of that back together. I had to prop him up against the leg of a bench in order to take his picture. :(

Mom made the kiwi just after they returned back to Indiana from their trip to New Zealand. Hopefully I will manage to repair him. Right now he's sitting in a basket.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2009, 02:36:31 am »
Mom made this little kitten towards the beginning of her pottery classes. She was always apologizing for him, saying he wasn't very good. I've always liked him though. He's about the size of a regular kitten and he "sleeps" under the coffee table in Dad's family room. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2009, 02:43:39 am »
Mom collected small crystal animals. Every Christmas each of us would get her one of these and she always acted surprised but she knew what was in each of those tiny Christmas presents!

Anyway, she has about 30 of them. Most of them were made by a company called Swarovski. I love the way they capture the light and shimmer and sparkle. In this picture you can see five of her crystal animals... a whale, a fish, a kiwi, a turtle and a mouse. She also has a few non animals in her collection such as a jack-in-the-box and a clown. A few of the pieces are very small. She has a open clam (or oyster) and you could probably fit two of them inside a thimble!

The mouse in this picture stands about 2 inches tall.