Author Topic: Getting your work out there: Fanfiction, LJ and more  (Read 9197 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Getting your work out there: request for really basic LJ help
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 09:49:31 am »
I posted my stuff on BBSlash but where is Wranglers? Is that an LJ community?

Also, do you know where the directions are in the FAQs? One thing I've found so frustrating about LJ is that either it's difficult to find what you need in the FAQ or the explanation is hard to follow.

Yes, wranglers is a LJ community...as far as I can see, it serves the same purpose as brokebackslash. People post links to stories and updates. Maybe there was a difference between the two when they started, but they seem very similar (and redundant) now.

I haven't been able to find the directions, either. Like you, I find LJ frustrating and hard to navigate. Maybe someone with more experience can give us a few pointers?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Tech support in general?
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 11:47:21 am »
I haven't been able to find the directions, either. Like you, I find LJ frustrating and hard to navigate. Maybe someone with more experience can give us a few pointers?

L

Yup, what about the whole question of tech support on any of these sites? I've only used fanfiction.net, but if there is a link on that site for tech support, darned if I've ever located it (which doesn't mean it's not there ...).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Tech support in general?
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 11:56:03 am »
Yup, what about the whole question of tech support on any of these sites? I've only used fanfiction.net, but if there is a link on that site for tech support, darned if I've ever located it (which doesn't mean it's not there ...).

Here's the one for fanfic - http://support.fanfiction.net/
 gotta say though, I sent in a request over a month ago, and have gotten exactly as much help as the IMDb admins provide (a message that they will respond in due course)  :-\

« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 12:03:35 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Marge_Innavera

Re: Getting your work out there: Fanfiction, LJ and more
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 11:27:45 am »
Hey y'all, I'm stumped about fanfiction.net and hope someone can give me some directions!  ???

I registered there when I first started putting my fanfic together in my head, and know for a fact that I read directions and guidelines about posting stories. But now that I want to post the chapters I've finished so far, I can't find anything but references to existing stories and authors.

Can someone give me some directions on posting, or where to find that on the site?

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 11:31:34 am »
Hey y'all, I'm stumped about fanfiction.net and hope someone can give me some directions!  ???

I registered there when I first started putting my fanfic together in my head, and know for a fact that I read directions and guidelines about posting stories. But now that I want to post the chapters I've finished so far, I can't find anything but references to existing stories and authors.

Can someone give me some directions on posting, or where to find that on the site?
Try this

www.fanfiction.net
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 01:01:59 pm »

You need to set up an account for yourself, then log it. First step is to upload a chapter to the document manager. Once that is done, you can can go to stories and create a story. This is where you put in the description, etc. Choose the document from the document manager to be the first chapter.

Once you have a story started, you add chapters by first going to the document manager, then editing the story to add new content.

I don't find the site particularly intuitive, but once you've done it a few times, it should make sense.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 01:10:16 pm »
Try this

www.fanfiction.net

Um, well, yes that's what my question was about. I have an account there.

But thanks ever so for the thought.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 01:20:29 pm by Marge_Innavera »

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 02:23:16 pm »
You need to set up an account for yourself, then log it. First step is to upload a chapter to the document manager. Once that is done, you can can go to stories and create a story. This is where you put in the description, etc. Choose the document from the document manager to be the first chapter.

Once you have a story started, you add chapters by first going to the document manager, then editing the story to add new content.

Thanks! That is one strange process and it took a lot of blundering around but got the first five chapters posted. Chapter 6, I thought I'd have it done by now but RL, in the form of two jobs, intruded. (what a nuisance having to make a living...  :P) Chapters 5 and 6 will be posted together on Live Journal.

Both these sites are weird to post in, but fanfiction.net does seem to give readers better access to stories since they have directories and listings. It isn't hard to tell that LJ wasn't set up for fiction writing and ff was.