Author Topic: Brokeback Opera News  (Read 7220 times)

pnwDUDE

Re: Brokeback Opera News
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 02:55:22 am »
Wow. Reading the article makes me think how wonderfully applicable the short story would be translated to Opera. And to have Ms. Proulx apply it....YES! Does Southwest Airlines fly to Spain  ;)

Brad

retropian

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 04:08:30 am »
Intriguing. I knew Annie Proulx had given her approval for the opera, but I had no idea she was actually collaborating in this way. When the news of the Opera came out a while ago, there was a big discussion on the topic of BBM as an Opera or musical. I thought, and still do, that the story has enormous potential as either. In a musical setting each character would express their innermost thoughts and feelings to the audience. Each character would have their own theme. Ennis's internal conflict has incredible possibility and potential for expression in lyric and music.  So does Jack's yearning. I guess what makes BBM a better subject for and Opera rather than a musical is it's tragedy. Musicals usually have a happy uplifting ending leaving the audience with a smile as they leave the theater. Of course there are exceptions like "West Side Story", which is based on Shakespeare's  tragedy "Romeo and Juliet". I wonder though, since BBM is set in the American West, if the Opera will have a "Western" sound? I don't think that's been done!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 03:11:39 am »

I wonder though, since BBM is set in the American West, if the Opera will have a "Western" sound? I don't think that's been done!

B-R-O-K-E-B-A-C-K  M-O-U-N-T-A-I-N, Brokeback Mountain!

:)

retropian

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 11:02:16 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's awesome!

Tell you what. I'd like to see BBM developed as a play, but since there's not much dialog I don't see that working out to well.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 03:03:11 am »

Looks like a high school production of Oklahoma!

My high school did it better in 1976.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 11:06:14 am »
Can't wait to see the Sydney Opera House production of the Brokeback Mountain opera in my home town. That'll be spectacular. Hope it won't be too long after the 2013 premiere.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 12:18:59 pm »
Can't wait to see the Sydney Opera House production of the Brokeback Mountain opera in my home town. That'll be spectacular. Hope it won't be too long after the 2013 premiere.

Will the BBM opera be heading to Sydney after Madrid?? Any news on a US production??
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 01:44:44 pm »

Tell you what. I'd like to see BBM developed as a play, but since there's not much dialog I don't see that working out to well.

There was already a play! In the Netherlands, in spring 2007. We had a EuroBrokie meeting to see it together! :D

Here's the thread about the play:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8004.0/topicseen.html

And here's the thread about the meeting:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8306.0.html

This was the promotional poster:

There are more photos in both threads.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 02:37:10 pm »