Author Topic: "Outrage" - Documentary Outs Gay Politicians Who Fight Gay Rights  (Read 26053 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
"Outrage" - "Out" on May 8 - Outs Gay Politicians Who Fight Gay Rights

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/28/outrage-documentary-activ_n_192476.html

see the trailer at the link:

Outrage," a new documentary from filmmaker Kirby Dick, takes issue with the secret lives of closeted gay politicians -- especially conservative Republicans who outwardly oppose gay rights.

The film, which premiered last week at the Tribeca Film Festival, features tell-alls from men who say they've had relationships with various Republicans, including Florida Governor Charlie Crist, Bush strategist Ken Mehlman and former Senator Larry Craig.

According to Magnolia Pictures, "Outrage" is a "searing indictment of the hypocrisy of closeted politicians with appalling gay rights voting records who actively campaign against the LGBT community they covertly belong to."

In the documentary, Dick lambastes the mainstream media for not better investigating the politicians' "hypocrisy" and double lives. He told New York magazine that the film explores "the issues surrounding closeted politicians and their hypocrisy in voting anti-gay -- and how these people have harmed millions of Americans for many years."

"Outrage" premieres May 8 in five cities, including Washington, D.C.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Ellemeno

Re: "Outrage" - Documentary Outs Gay Politicians Who Fight Gay Rights
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:12:18 pm »
Yikes!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:02:21 pm »
Charlie Crist? Really? I had no idea.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:10:19 pm »
Charlie Crist? Really? I had no idea.  ???

you're joking, right?  He even got engaged to a beard - I mean a woman - when the rumors got too thick in Florida recently.  But he is IMMENSELY popular.

As well as fabulous.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 11:15:57 pm »
"Outrage" - "Out" on May 8 - Outs Gay Politicians Who Fight Gay Rights

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/28/outrage-documentary-activ_n_192476.html

Politics at its worst. I think its a witch hunt.

First of all, Americans do NOT have  right to know which politicians are in the population of sexual minorities. That is a matter of personal choice.

Second, just because a politician votes in a way that the Gay Party disagrees with, does not mean that the politician is "hurting" sexual minorities. This "our way, or the highway" approach to politics is doing more harm than good.

Third, have any of the critics of these politicians taken a look at the other contents of the bills that were voted on?? Frequently legislators have to make difficult choices because bills are presented with both good and bad line items.  
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:21:17 pm »
Money, fame and power trumps morality nearly every time when it comes to these politicians. While I do not think they should be outed like this, it's a shame these politicians are often so corrupted and twisted.

Not much we can do about it though, I suppose. :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 11:22:24 pm »
you have some actual evidence that everyone you disagree with about gay rights belongs to some thing called "The Gay Party", Milo?  It is sounding a lot like demonizing gays you disagree with by namecalling them.

I know for a fact that Larry Craig outed himself in a Minneapolis men's room by soliciting public sex, so you can't pin that on "The Gay Party" whatever that is.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 12:08:06 am »
you have some actual evidence that everyone you disagree with about gay rights belongs to some thing called "The Gay Party", Milo?  It is sounding a lot like demonizing gays you disagree with by namecalling them.

Its not everyone I disagree with. I only invoke the Gay Party when I see people who uphold/support specific disagreeable ideas and policies that are part of the Gay Party's approaches. There are plenty of people/ideas who I disagree with on equality for sexual minorities that have nothing to do with the Gay Party.   

I know for a fact that Larry Craig outed himself in a Minneapolis men's room by soliciting public sex, so you can't pin that on "The Gay Party" whatever that is.

Yep. He sure did. And without any help from anyone.

The Gay Party is a catch-all term for numerous politically active gay organizations and the people who think like them. I'm not demonizing anyone by using the phrase "Gay Party" any more than you might be demonizing people by using the term "conservatives."
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:14:50 am »
please dont' dissimulate here, Milo.

"Gay Party" is a term invented by your hero, Jack Malebranche, to demonize any group or individual that he finds distasteful to his own agenda in his "Androphilia" book.  To quote it without attribution as though it is a common term in widespread usage is to attempt to deceive people into thinking there is actually a political party by that name, and there isn't, and never has been.  It isn't anyone's "catch-all" and doesnt even warrant an Urban Dictionary entry.

There is no such thing as "the Gay Party" and no such coordinated agenda by spooky leftists and drag queens.  It's made up.

And if you clicked on the trailer you would see that the people in the film who are "outing" these public figures are their former lovers, tricks, and members of the general public who have seen them in situations where they either solicited public sex, bought it or contracted for it, and then insisted on secrecy after the fact.  Nobody dug through anyone's diaries for this stuff.  And Larry Craig is one of them.  They outed themselves by going out into the gay community and using people for their own gratification while simultaneously victimizing GLBT Americans by writing and supporting policies that oppressed them and prevented them from gaining their civil rights.

And exactly what is your argument against fighting  those who are preventing gays from having full civil participation in American life?

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 12:49:58 am »
please dont' dissimulate here, Milo.

"Gay Party" is a term invented by your hero, Jack Malebranche, to demonize any group or individual that he finds distasteful to his own agenda in his "Androphilia" book.  To quote it without attribution as though it is a common term in widespread usage is to attempt to deceive people into thinking there is actually a political party by that name, and there isn't, and never has been.  It isn't anyone's "catch-all" and doesnt even warrant an Urban Dictionary entry.

- Malebranche coined the term, and I use it liberally. It needs no a citation. Just like any other "buzzword" that comes into the language, its starts somewhere, people start using it in general conversations a few at a time. Then eventually it enters the wider lexicon. Nothing deceptive about being one of a handful of people using a word.

- You asked me how I used the word. I told you how I use the word: which is consistent with my other explanations of the same term I have given numerous times in various threads here at Bettermost.

- Your characterization of Malebranche's use of Gay Party is dead wrong. He does NOT use it to demonize anyone. He uses it to describe a set of political ideas, and the people agree with them.

There is no such thing as "the Gay Party" and no such coordinated agenda by spooky leftists and drag queens.  It's made up.

I would not have characterized the Gay Party as "spooky leftists and drag queens." But there most certainly is a commonality of ideology and approach among the major national gay organizations; smaller local and community gay organizations; and the political positions of tons of people in the gay community and among their friends. So no...its not a formal party like the Democrats or Republicans. But it certainly is an element of the political scene in the US. It is not made up.

And if you clicked on the trailer you would see that the people in the film who are "outing" these public figures are their former lovers, tricks, and members of the general public who have seen them in situations where they either solicited public sex, bought it or contracted for it, and then insisted on secrecy after the fact.  Nobody dug through anyone's diaries for this stuff.  And Larry Craig is one of them.  They outed themselves by going out into the gay community and using people for their own gratification while simultaneously victimizing GLBT Americans by writing and supporting policies that oppressed them and prevented them from gaining their civil rights.

I don't know anything about anyone's diary, but SOMEBODY went digging to find these "former lovers, tricks, and members of the general public who have seen them in situations where they either solicited public sex, bought it or contracted for it, and then insisted on secrecy after the fact." I suspect it was the filmmakers themselves. All these witnesses didn't just get together and decide to make a movie.

And exactly what is your argument against fighting  those who are preventing gays from having full civil participation in American life?

You see louise, this illustrates how your POV and mine are so often headed in opposite directions from one another. I don't believe that this is a "fight" There are challenges that need to be overcome, but thinking of it as a "fight" is not where my head is. I look at it more like solving a very complex business problem.

I have no issues with people who contribute to the effort towards civil rights for sexual minorities UNLESS I find that their contributions are strategically flawed, tactically dysfunctional, ideologically oppositional, or just plain devoid of value. In the case of this movie, I would add that (on top of the above) it is dishonorable.

Rx