Author Topic: What did make Ennis and/or Jack smile or laugh?? Does that say something maybe?  (Read 5605 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
         What did make Ennis and/or Jack smile or laugh??  Does that say something maybe?             

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
         What did make Ennis and/or Jack smile or laugh??  Does that say something maybe?             

Yes, Artiste, what made Ennis/Jack smile and laugh says a lot about their characters. What I find refreshing is Ennis's and Jack's lack of irony. They laughed at things that were funny or happy, and they were sad and serious about things that were not. They were not afraid to talk about heavy subjects, like the loss of the submarine Thresher, and they shared moving and heartbreaking details about their childhoods. In fact, just shortly after meeting Jack, Ennis was telling him about how his parents died, a tribute to Jack's empathy (and the power of Budweiser, as well!) They were different than many 19-year-olds of their era and now, who tend to laugh at things that are not funny (such as topics covered in The Onion) and run from important and serious subjects. But one thing is universal: Jack and every other teenaged boy tends to clown around sometimes, especially when he would like to escape from a topic that has gotten too serious ("all rodeo cowboys is fuck-ups")!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Yes, Artiste, what made Ennis/Jack smile and laugh says a lot about their characters. What I find refreshing is Ennis's and Jack's lack of irony. They laughed at things that were funny or happy, and they were sad and serious about things that were not. They were not afraid to talk about heavy subjects, like the loss of the submarine Thresher, and they shared moving and heartbreaking details about their childhoods. In fact, just shortly after meeting Jack, Ennis was telling him about how his parents died, a tribute to Jack's empathy (and the power of Budweiser, as well!) They were different than many 19-year-olds of their era and now, who tend to laugh at things that are not funny (such as topics covered in The Onion) and run from important and serious subjects. But one thing is universal: Jack and every other teenaged boy tends to clown around sometimes, especially when he would like to escape from a topic that has gotten too serious ("all rodeo cowboys is fuck-ups")!!

You point out and also show us two very different elements, that in so many ways remind us of how innocent youth used to be. What a lot we have lost over the past 3 decades.
 You very astutely say, Jack and Ennis laugh at what is funny and take seriously matters of gravitas. Todays youth seem to find humour in the most macabre of situations and yet do not seem to be as aware of the serious nature of other matters. They also I have noticed take themselves very seriously.The phrase, youth id wasted on the young seems even more apt in today's world.
I love the fact that Jack and Ennis at 19 are still rolling around and laughing at each other;s antics, even if some of it is alcohol fuelled. They have both had fairly hard lives and yet can still find humour in simple almost slapstick things. Today when a teenager has had a hard life we normally get to hear of it as some court drags it up as the reason they have, robbed,raped, killed etc. The more I consider the fact that Jack and Ennis can still laugh after what they have endured, the more remarkable it seems.
One of my favourite light hearted scenes, is the sheer exuberance they display when they jump off the rock and into the water.
So I suppose that Jack and Ennis find laughter in life's very simple pleasures. A cool pool on a hot day, tripping over things, and the most pure pleasure of all, time spent with each other away from a world that seeks to condemn them.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.

So I suppose that Jack and Ennis find laughter in life's very simple pleasures. A cool pool on a hot day, tripping over things, and the most pure pleasure of all, time spent with each other away from a world that seeks to condemn them.

Friend, you have hit the crux of what makes the story great in terms of character development: Jack and Ennis together against the world. It is something that was missing from the movie, IMHO, because Ang Lee or the screenwriters wanted to portray a relationship with all its checks and balances, its complements and conflicts. It was an astute approach, because it made the story more universal, applying to heteros and gays as well. But, it wasn't what Annie Proulx had in mind, which was two like spirits coming together and supporting each other against a hostile world.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Jack, Ennis was telling him about how his parents died, a tribute to Jack's empathy (and the power of Budweiser, as well!) They were different than many 19-year-olds of their era and now, who tend to laugh at things that are not funny (such as topics covered in The Onion) and run from important and serious subjects. But one thing is universal: Jack and every other teenaged boy tends to clown around sometimes, especially when he would like to escape from a topic that has gotten too serious ("all rodeo cowboys is fuck-ups")!!

I think people tended to think of Ennis as too dour or humorless.  However he did show his dry sense of humor, during  several times.  During the movie.  Mostly associate with Jack, but also with his daughters...
  When Jack after several long pulls on the bottle and giving him some as well.  Jack jumped up acting the fool and saying "the hell they are."  Ennis then said "there he goes,"  with a big grin on his face.   And when he finally fell over the
camping gear,  He rather sarcastically remarked "I think my dad was right.'
   The next thing I remember was when Alma Jr, and Jenny asked him ''if he would return from his fishing trip soon enough to attend the next sunday at church?''  Again he replied in a humor of " awright if I dont haveta sing."  And the same time as he was readying for his trip.  Alma again nudged him in the direction of new employment.  "Theres an opening over at the power plant, might be good pay."  He again in a sarcastic and yet somewhat honest retort, says "clumsy as I am, I'd probably get lectricuted."
    But my favorite Ennis funny saying was while they were still up on Brokeback.   After all day or more separating the
Chilean sheep out theirs.  They were riding along, with Jack relaxing and trying very poorly to play his precious harmonica, which is also instrumental in two more of Ennis'  harmonica jokes.  He smilingly tells Jack "you'll scare them
sheep off again if ya done quiet down."  The other cases were in "The tent dont look right scene, and that harmonica dont sound right neither.   Jack mentioned" it got dented when the mare threw him..."  Then Ennis's
retort.  "Thought you said that mare couldn't throw you?"  Jack replied "she got lucky."  Ennis said "If I'd a got
lucky.  That harmonica woulda broke intwo".  And then there was the reunion remark.  "sending up a prayer, of thanks, for you forgetting to bring that damned  harmonica."
'

I think we tend to overlook these simple things that he did laugh at because over all he was a very closed off man
unless he was around Jack.  Plus the older he got and the less fulfulling his life.  It seemed to drain a lot of his good humor.  Along with his disappointments and lonesome feelings.   Mores the loss when we remember back how joyous
he really was when he and Jack were together, and high above the natural world.

Beautiful mind

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog

Each other.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Artiste

You mean: to each other?

Offline Artiste

Why should they have as you say:   What I find refreshing is Ennis's and Jack's lack of irony         ; I say, no need, since they were real ??

Offline Artiste

I agree with you as you say:     You very astutely say, Jack and Ennis laugh at what is funny and take seriously matters of gravitas. Todays youth seem to find humour in the most macabre of situations and yet do not seem to be as aware of the serious nature of other matters. They also I have noticed take themselves very seriously.The phrase, youth id wasted on the young seems even more apt in today's world.
I love the fact that Jack and Ennis at 19 are still rolling around and laughing at each other;s antics, even if some of it is alcohol fuelled.           

since I had to fire one of my workers because he had to have me bring him in order purchase a case of beer at 9 o'clock in the morning before work, and after that purchase, he refused to work!

Is thay becoming islamic, like a muslim, refuse to work, as a radical? Our youth are being now brainwashed to take drugs instead of doing honest work ethics?

Offline Artiste

And when you say:         Alma again nudged him in the direction of new employment.  "Theres an opening over at the power plant, might be good pay."  He again in a sarcastic and yet somewhat honest retort, says "clumsy as I am, I'd probably get lectricuted."

it become that booze controls you, unfortunately!

Like in the movie Days of Wine and Roses 1962 with Jack lemon and Lee Remick, the couple was a threesome: him, her and booze!!! They destroyed their lives, and he regain joy being sober, but will she?

My former worker is at that point where booze and drugs control him, and what can I do?