Author Topic: The Cheapest Person I Know  (Read 11760 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
The Cheapest Person I Know
« on: May 05, 2009, 03:55:44 pm »
I've been accused of being cheap for re-using my zip-lock freezer bags, but some of these take the cake.

From WalletPop -

Cheap, Cheaper and Cheapest

Frugality has become mainstream. But even before it was hip to save a buck, we've been covering the wild ways the cheapskates in your lives pinch pennies. Click through the 8th edition of our popular community feature as we expose the annoying and endearing frugal habits of those near and (sometimes not-so) dear to you.

First Up: Saving Watch Battery Life

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: The Cheapest Person I Know
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 04:00:35 pm »
My friend Vicki's mother Elaine is one of the most frugal people I know.  After their yard would get rolled on Halloween, she would make her kids go out and gather up all the toilet paper so it could be used as intended!  Seriously.

::) :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:23:17 pm »
My friend Vicki's mother Elaine is one of the most frugal people I know.  After their yard would get rolled on Halloween, she would make her kids go out and gather up all the toilet paper so it could be used as intended!  Seriously.

:laugh: :laugh:

Now THAT is CHEAP!!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 05:21:21 pm »
oh dear....  some of those were hilarious!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 05:28:07 pm »

:laugh:  and eeeewwww!!! 

I'd heard of some of those - but the guy who gave library books and cd's as presents and then expected the recipient to return them?  Please!  He's giving them an errand for a present! 

Years ago I worked with a young woman who had just gotten her first apartment and one day she was trying to figure out if it was cheaper to buy canned tomato-rice soup or buy plain tomato soup and add her own rice!!!   :-\
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 07:02:39 pm »
I'm so cheap that rather than "waste" a slice of bread that has an area of mold on it, I'll cut the mold away and eat the rest of the bread. ...

Honest!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 07:19:04 pm »
One time in college I was staying at a girlfriend's house, and we were getting ready to go out.  So I ask about taking a shower, and my friend goes and turns the water heater on, as if the whole tank would turn hot then and there.  (They were middle/upper-middle class, but her mom had been "saving money on utilities" by keeping the water heater off, turning it on "when needed".)   

I skipped it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:12:43 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline optom3

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 08:10:21 pm »
The cheapest or should it be most thrifty person I ever knew, was when I was at university studying Optometry. The guy in question was a mature student, married with kids and had to work several jobs to pay for his tuition, family commitments and mortgage.

I never once saw him buy any food. He would collect everyones leftovers and eat those,even apple cores !!! He was a smoker and would collect all the cigarette ends, empty out the tobacco and then roll his own "new" cigarette.Tea was made with someones used tea bag.I could go on for some time but I think I have given an idea of what the guy was like.
 He eventually graduated and even when he was earning a fortune, still carried on with  many of his thrifty ways.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 08:50:47 pm »
I've been accused of being cheap for re-using my zip-lock freezer bags, but some of these take the cake.

My grandmother did that, David.

She also re-used aluminum foil. She ironed Christmas paper and used it over as well.  ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:05:30 pm »
I'm so cheap that rather than "waste" a slice of bread that has an area of mold on it, I'll cut the mold away and eat the rest of the bread. ...

Honest!  ;D

I've never done that with bread, Jeff...I usually stick it in the freezer as its expiration date approaches.  But I have done it with cheeses.  I mean, mold is mold, after all.

::) 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."