Author Topic: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist  (Read 24645 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:03:48 am »
I found this over at the IUPUI website. The school's website contained a link to the following article posted at Texas A&M advising their students how to not look like an American while travelling in other countries.

I found it very interesting and a bit scary. However this information may be helpful for any American Brokies (or their friends and family) planning to travel outside the U.S.

___________________________________________________________________________________

International Programs at Texas A&M University
Study Abroad Program

How to Avoid Looking Like a US Tourist

Compare your outward appearance and behaviors to those of people who live in the country you visit. The more you blend in, the less chance there is for you to look like a tourist. Some simple ways to spot a US citizen in a crowd overseas include the following.

Some clothing choices signal one as being a US citizen.

Wearing baseball or trucker caps

Wearing US brand name clothing with the names (ie. Nike, Gap, Abercrombie, Patriotic, Texas A&M, etc.) easily readable

Wearing white socks with shoes instead of dark socks

Dressing informally instead of more formally, (ie. wearing sneakers, t-shirts, jeans, or shorts instead of slacks or skirts with shirts or blouses)

Wearing inappropriate outfits in public spaces such as churches, theaters, and restaurants. Such outfits include, but are not limited to, shorts and halter or tube tops. Remember also that jeans are not universally accepted as appropriate in all social situations. It is best to consider taking more pairs of trousers or slacks in lieu of jeans.

Wearing colored clothing that is not typical to the culture you are visiting. For example, in some countries solid or dark colors are more prominent than bright colors or prints.

Wearing shirts tucked in or left hanging out, depending on the country you are visiting. Sometimes this differs for men and women in the same country.

Women using head scarves in some religious establishments. It would be wise to research this in advance and be prepared to take something with you if you plan to visit religious places.

In some countries, NOT wearing something could signal that you are a tourist. For example, in some countries, hats or scarves are worn by the majority, or, in winter, most people might wear neck scarves. Be alert to simple, inexpensive ways that you could blend in.

A number of food related habits signal that someone might be from the US.

Avoid walking down the street while eating food.

Requesting, at a restaurant, typical US condiments like catsup, salt, pepper, etc. It is best to use the typical condiments in your host country, but if you cannot eat without some condiment, take small packets with you to use rather than insisting that the restaurant supply you with it.

Don't insist on drinking “Coke” with every meal.

Try to manage without requesting ice in your drinks.

Remember that often “bottled water” will be carbonated. Before the waiter brings it and opens it, be sure to request water that is “natural” instead of “with gas”, if that is what you prefer.

Avoid visiting US chain restaurants for every meal.

Use local table manners instead of US ones. For example, in Europe, a fork and knife are used differently than in the US. In some Southeast Asian nations chopsticks might be more appropriate.

Don't insist on ordering meals in a typical US fashion. For example, in some countries, a salad is the last item served, not the first. In others, people don't eat what we in the US think of as a “salad”.

Be conscious of your behavior in public places. Here are some examples that could signal you are a US citizen:

Avoid making eye contact, smiling, greeting, and engaging in conversation with strangers.

Refrain from carrying US newspapers or books in plain view.

Be careful about folding and unfolding city maps in public spaces. Move out of the way to consult maps. It is best to plan your routes in advance of leaving your hotel and have the maps pre-folded so they may be easily accessed and read.

Refrain from loud talking, large arm and hand movements, and boisterous behavior. Adults in most cultures are more reserved and use lower voices in public places (i.e., train stations, shopping centers, public streets, etc.).

If you must use a dictionary to translate a sign or menu, be discrete. For example, copy down the words of the sign and move aside to a less public place to work out the translation.

Avoid showing other people what you have purchased by pulling items out of shopping bags in public places such as streets, busses, etc.

Don't discuss the local people, their customs, clothing, or habits in public. While many US citizens are not bilingual, many people in other countries speak English and will understand what you are saying.

Be conscious of the amount of space you occupy; most cultures are used to using less than US citizens. For example, try not to occupy more space than locals at a restaurant counter, in a waiting area in the train station, in the bus, etc.

Avoid chewing gum in public places.

Place purses or bags securely in your lap instead of on the table at a restaurant or hanging it on the back of a chair.

Note: We appreciate the assistance of faculty, staff, and students who made suggestions that were incorporated into this handout. If you have other ideas that would be helpful to share with those traveling outside the US, please share them with the Study Abroad Programs staff at 845-0544.

http://studyabroad.tamu.edu/travel_avoid.asp

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 02:50:01 am »
If you must use a dictionary to translate a sign or menu, be discrete.

Christ, this is on a university website?  (Obviously they weren't using a dictionary...)

Very interesting advice overall, though.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 03:44:29 am »
Good catch Laura, I didn't even notice that one! :)

Here's a few more tips, these directly from the IUPUI website:

Good Practices for Safety and Security Abroad

Pre-Departure

Make photocopies of the front page of your passport. Ensure that your faculty director, your emergency contact person in the U.S., and the Study Abroad Office all have copies.

Communication

Stay in regular contact with program staff and fellow participants. Ensure when traveling or going out independently that the program coordinator, fellow participants, and family know where you are going and when you expect to return. Provide them with an itinerary in advance, if viable, as well as emergency contact information.

Establish a regular phone or e-mail contact schedule with family or friends.

If at all possible, rent or buy a global (GSM) cell phone while abroad so family and program participants can readily be contacted, and calls can be made more easily in general (no need to have local calling cards, coins, etc.).

Know how to use a pay telephone and keep the proper change on hand.

Know at least a few phrases in the local language so you can signal your need for help, the police, or a doctor.

In-Country Behavior

Read and behave in accordance with any safety and/or emergency protocols set out by IU policy and the policies of your program director.

Consider registering with the U.S. Embassy.

Continue normal routines within their program.

Carry a photocopy of the front page of your passport.

Travel light. You can move more quickly and are less likely to set your luggage down, leaving it unattended.

Avoid crowds or moving about the city as large groups of readily identifiable Americans.

Maintain a low profile while in the host country; including adopting more regionally appropriate dress standards, speech patterns and behavior (see, for example, the article “How to Avoid Looking Like a U.S. Tourist").

Avoid locations known to be common gathering points for U.S. citizens (including bars, restaurants, nightclubs, etc.).

Avoid discussing politics or government/regulatory policies as topics of conversation, debate or as general points of comparative exchanges.

Avoid public demonstrations and other civil disturbances.

Don't use short cuts, narrow alleys or poorly-lit streets. Try not to travel alone at night.

Avoid carrying large amounts of cash by changing your travelers' checks only as you need currency.

Carry the following phone numbers and email addresses at all times:

Family at home and work

Study abroad program resident director, IU International Office emergency contact numbers, or, if applicable, contact numbers for the foreign university international student office.

U.S. Embassy and/or local Consulate in any country they visit

Travel agent

Local police and fire service

Medical facilities

Your hotel

Be Informed

Know the local laws. When you are in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws. Monitor and assess safety issues in the region and country in which you are studying by:

periodically checking the U.S. Department of State Consular Information Sheets and Travel Warnings.

reading local newspapers and guidebooks

reading the pre-departure materials provided by the host program or university.

Read and refer family/friends to the advice contained in “Advice for Parents: Frequently Asked Questions” by William Hoffa, Academic Consultants International.

http://www.iupui.edu/~abroad/safety/practices.html

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 04:08:39 am »
Before I read the article, I thought about it myself....how do I pick an American Tourist?

(Just in case anyone here does not know I live in Australia)

The first thing I thought of was the baseball caps, as far as clothing was concerned.

A lot I have seen, also wear nice clean thick soled sneakers....probably because they are doing a lot of walking and sight seeing. (sneakers are worn a lot here by the younger generation, but not so much by the older generations)

Also, the use of "bum bags"....(I think you might call them "fanny bags")

And there is the different way you eat compared to us.....we hold fork in left hand and knife in right hand, and feed ourselves with the fork in our left hand, wheras, Americans cut their food, then transfer fork to right hand to feed it into mouth.

Oh, and Americans tip......we dont.

The lovely thing I have found is that if you start a conversation with an American, they are very friendly, tell you where they come from, usually tell you that they love Australia, and are having a wonderful time, and tell you where they have just been or about to go.

Oh, and of course....after speaking to an Australian for a while, they usually smile and say in their American accent.....goodday mate....not sounding one bit like an Aussie, but we still say...."well done, stay here any longer and you will be mistaken for a real Aussie".....

Love em.......always had great encounters with American tourists.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 07:28:42 am »
and people wonder why I am not the least interested in going to another country.

::) ::) ::)

translates to me as "They'll take your money and allow you to go over but lort shut up, keep your eyes down and arms and legs INSIDE the car at all times. Straighten up!"

::) ::)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 09:08:11 am »
LOL, sometimes the list reads like "How to fit in and be polite" and sometimes it reads like "How to avoid being taken hostage by terrorists targeting Americans."

In other words, I think it makes sense not to be rude, not to wear shorts and casual clothes in a dressy place or church, not to openly discuss others assuming they don't understand English, not to be loud and overbearing and insist on having everything the American way. On the other hand, in most countries at most times -- that is, unless the situation is dangerous -- I don't think there's anything wrong with having people realize you are American. Most people would be fine with that, just as I would be fine with anybody visiting here who revealed themselves as being from another country.

I thought this one was sad:

Avoid making eye contact, smiling, greeting, and engaging in conversation with strangers.

It's true that many non-Americans don't go around smiling at passersby the way many Americans do. On the other hand, if you're not going to meet or talk to anybody in the country you're visiting, what's the point of traveling?

I've been to Italy a couple of times in recent years. In Rome, there are these fake tour guides around the major tourist attractions -- the Coliseum, for example -- who aren't affiliated with any organization but will go up to random visitors and offer tours. My friend and I noticed that these guides would approach us and immediately start speaking English. As if they knew instantly that we were American. Later, we asked this guy we'd befriended, an American who'd lived in Italy for years, what was up with that. He very delicately pointed out that we looked totally American. My friend is fairly heavy -- so, American. Very few Italians are overweight, unless they're really old. In my case, my coloring is a dead giveaway that I'm either American or maybe English or Scottish or Irish -- in any case, English-speaking.

I do know that in certain politically sensitive years, some Americans made a habit of wearing maple-leaf T-shirts when they traveled overseas. We did not do that -- we openly admitted our nationality and even (gasp) smiled at strangers -- and everybody we met was extremely friendly. When I went back to Italy, this time in a larger group, same thing.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:53:13 pm by serious crayons »

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:38:13 am »
Also, the use of "bum bags"....(I think you might call them "fanny bags")

Oh, I learned first hand about the word fanny overseas.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 10:23:50 am »

Oh, I learned first hand about the word fanny overseas.

:laugh:

Gooooood......that will save some embarrassment.

Offline optom3

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 12:38:01 pm »
I read all through he points and tried to recall how we spotted the Americans, when travelling in Europe. They were much more open and friendly,that's for sure.They were also so enthusiastic about the countries they were visiting.
They tend to dress in a less conservative fashion than some Europeans and hotel and restaurant staff, love them because they tip well ,unlike the majority of Europeans.
It is all generalisation though. The Brit abroad or at least some of them, can be a major embarrassment.Wanting chips with everything, full English breakfast and no desire to eat any of "that foreign muck" Lord knows why many of them ever left their own shores.We would sometimes cringe when in the south of France on holiday. Crowds of beer swigging Brits, moaning non too discretely about how much they dislike the "frogs", derogatory term for the French.
Nigel and I would sink lower into our sun loungers and start to talk in French. Germany was just as big a nightmare, old football rivalry and the urban myth about all the best sun loungers being taken in the middle of the night by the Germans.Truth was many Brits were probably too lazy to get up early enough to get a good spot !! Or were still nursing hangovers and shovelling down vast breakfasts.
Italy presented the old soccer rivalry problem as well. So I guess there are many generalisations made about the inhabitants of all countries. In general when we travelled we would immerse ourselves in the local culture and stay pretty quiet.
One thing is for sure, I love the uninhibited way, Americans can just say what they feel.Such as I love your accent, or those shoes are too cute, where did you get them from. Most Brits. would never do that and for me I have found it all to be a refreshing change. I have definitely come out of my shell more since moving here and that is no bad thing.It has given me the courage to enter other people's lives and so has exposed me to so much more than had I remained in my reserved little British cocoon.
The thing perhaps I admire most about Americans,is their unabashed pride in their country. We go to the beach every July 4th and it never ceases to to make the hairs on my neck stand up.
The very first gymnastics meet I took Emma to, the national anthem was played at the start and everyone stood up. Pride in your country is not to be scorned and it seems to be sadly missing in England.Less so in Scotland and Wales.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 01:47:58 pm »
I read all through he points and tried to recall how we spotted the Americans, when travelling in Europe. They were much more open and friendly,that's for sure.They were also so enthusiastic about the countries they were visiting.
They tend to dress in a less conservative fashion than some Europeans and hotel and restaurant staff, love them because they tip well ,unlike the majority of Europeans.
It is all generalisation though. The Brit abroad or at least some of them, can be a major embarrassment.Wanting chips with everything, full English breakfast and no desire to eat any of "that foreign muck" Lord knows why many of them ever left their own shores.We would sometimes cringe when in the south of France on holiday. Crowds of beer swigging Brits, moaning non too discretely about how much they dislike the "frogs", derogatory term for the French.
Nigel and I would sink lower into our sun loungers and start to talk in French. Germany was just as big a nightmare, old football rivalry and the urban myth about all the best sun loungers being taken in the middle of the night by the Germans.Truth was many Brits were probably too lazy to get up early enough to get a good spot !! Or were still nursing hangovers and shovelling down vast breakfasts.
Italy presented the old soccer rivalry problem as well. So I guess there are many generalisations made about the inhabitants of all countries. In general when we travelled we would immerse ourselves in the local culture and stay pretty quiet.
One thing is for sure, I love the uninhibited way, Americans can just say what they feel.Such as I love your accent, or those shoes are too cute, where did you get them from. Most Brits. would never do that and for me I have found it all to be a refreshing change. I have definitely come out of my shell more since moving here and that is no bad thing.It has given me the courage to enter other people's lives and so has exposed me to so much more than had I remained in my reserved little British cocoon.
The thing perhaps I admire most about Americans,is their unabashed pride in their country. We go to the beach every July 4th and it never ceases to to make the hairs on my neck stand up.
The very first gymnastics meet I took Emma to, the national anthem was played at the start and everyone stood up. Pride in your country is not to be scorned and it seems to be sadly missing in England.Less so in Scotland and Wales.

That is my pet hate. "I hate the food here.. its all GREEK!" Eh hello, you're in Greece what do you expect!?!

Jess, I'd def say that a lot of these suggestions seem to be overkill...you love TAR you know us foreigners can help out and be nice to Americans when we're in the mood! :P

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 08:04:05 pm »
Doesn't it depend on where you're going?

Obviously if one is traveling in more challenging parts of the world, trying to blend in is de rigueur, but in far Western Europe, it's hardly called for.  Yes, you need avoid looking like a total rube, holding out maps and talking loudly and being the "ugly tourist", because that puts one at risk for conmen and muggers - but that's for anyone in any country.

Heck, that tourist travel guy Rick Steves always looks like a dorky American tourist with his uniform of shapeless baggy chinos and "comfortable" mushroomy walking shoes and backpack and he's gone all over Western and Eastern Europe.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 04:15:07 am »
Doesn't it depend on where you're going?

Obviously if one is traveling in more challenging parts of the world, trying to blend in is de rigueur, but in far Western Europe, it's hardly called for.  Yes, you need avoid looking like a total rube, holding out maps and talking loudly and being the "ugly tourist", because that puts one at risk for conmen and muggers - but that's for anyone in any country.

Heck, that tourist travel guy Rick Steves always looks like a dorky American tourist with his uniform of shapeless baggy chinos and "comfortable" mushroomy walking shoes and backpack and he's gone all over Western and Eastern Europe.

Yup, I'd agree with that Del.

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline optom3

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 09:22:27 am »
It also applies to a certain type of Brit. travelling to Florida where they can be seen in their Soccer shirts and shell suits all over the theme parks in Orlando. The lobster red skin is a bit of a giveaway as well !!!
Sorry I know I am being rude about my fellow countrymen, but it is exactly what you see.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 10:50:43 am »
Christ, this is on a university website?  (Obviously they weren't using a dictionary...)

Nope, probably just spell-check.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 10:57:50 am »
I thought this one was sad:

Heck, that's good advice for the streets of many major American cities.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 11:01:59 am »

Of course, unlike Rick Steves, most dorky American tourists aren't traveling with a camera crew. ...  ;D

Offline oilgun

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 12:30:16 pm »
and people wonder why I am not the least interested in going to another country.

::) ::) ::)

translates to me as "They'll take your money and allow you to go over but lort shut up, keep your eyes down and arms and legs INSIDE the car at all times. Straighten up!"

::) ::)

What is it with this American insularity? Apparently, the percentage of Americans who own passports is very low, for example..  I find it so strange that a country, where most people are ultimately from somewhere else, can be so provincial.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 01:33:43 pm »
Compare your outward appearance and behaviors to those of people who live in the country you visit. The more you blend in, the less chance there is for you to look like a tourist. Some simple ways to spot a US citizen in a crowd overseas include the following.

I spot American tourists mostly because of their skin complexion. A lot of them tend to be whiter or darker than the Spaniards.

Wearing baseball or trucker caps  Bah. Europeans wear it too, and I have seen french and spaniards wearing New York Yankees baseball caps.

Wearing US brand name clothing with the names (ie. Nike, Gap, Abercrombie, Patriotic, Texas A&M, etc.) easily readable Bah. I've seen many locals wearing those brands everywhere. The rest of the world also travels!

Wearing white socks with shoes instead of dark socks. Well, if you do that in Spain you will not be considered a tourist, just tacky.

Wearing shirts tucked in or left hanging out, depending on the country you are visiting. Sometimes this differs for men and women in the same country.  ???

In some countries, NOT wearing something could signal that you are a tourist. For example, in some countries, hats or scarves are worn by the majority, or, in winter, most people might wear neck scarves. Be alert to simple, inexpensive ways that you could blend in. This is stupid.

Avoid walking down the street while eating food.  :laugh:

Requesting, at a restaurant, typical US condiments like catsup, salt, pepper, etc. It is best to use the typical condiments in your host country, but if you cannot eat without some condiment, take small packets with you to use rather than insisting that the restaurant supply you with it.   ???

Don't insist on drinking “Coke” with every meal. Drink whatever you want.

Try to manage without requesting ice in your drinks. This one is probably the only one I could agree with

Remember that often “bottled water” will be carbonated. Before the waiter brings it and opens it, be sure to request water that is “natural” instead of “with gas”, if that is what you prefer.  ???

Use local table manners instead of US ones. For example, in Europe, a fork and knife are used differently than in the US. In some Southeast Asian nations chopsticks might be more appropriate.  ??? And how a newly arrived US citizen is supposed to know that?

Don't insist on ordering meals in a typical US fashion. For example, in some countries, a salad is the last item served, not the first. In others, people don't eat what we in the US think of as a “salad”.   ???

Be conscious of your behavior in public places. Here are some examples that could signal you are a US citizen:

Avoid making eye contact, smiling, greeting, and engaging in conversation with strangers.   ??? Spaniards are experts in smiling and doing eye contact with strangers.

Refrain from carrying US newspapers or books in plain view.  ??? Why?

Refrain from loud talking, large arm and hand movements, and boisterous behavior. Adults in most cultures are more reserved and use lower voices in public places (i.e., train stations, shopping centers, public streets, etc.). If you do that in Spain you'll look like a local!

If you must use a dictionary to translate a sign or menu, be discrete. For example, copy down the words of the sign and move aside to a less public place to work out the translation??? Why?

Avoid showing other people what you have purchased by pulling items out of shopping bags in public places such as streets, busses, etc. Spaniards do it all the time.

Be conscious of the amount of space you occupy; most cultures are used to using less than US citizens. For example, try not to occupy more space than locals at a restaurant counter, in a waiting area in the train station, in the bus, etc.   ???

Avoid chewing gum in public places.   ??? This is stupid.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 01:42:00 pm »

I spot American tourists mostly because of their skin complexion. A lot of them tend to be whiter or darker than the Spaniards.

Wearing baseball or trucker caps  Bah. Europeans wear it too, and I have seen french and spaniards wearing New York Yankees baseball caps.

Wearing US brand name clothing with the names (ie. Nike, Gap, Abercrombie, Patriotic, Texas A&M, etc.) easily readable Bah. I've seen many locals wearing those brands everywhere. The rest of the world also travels!

Wearing white socks with shoes instead of dark socks. Well, if you do that in Spain you will not be considered a tourist, just tacky.

Wearing shirts tucked in or left hanging out, depending on the country you are visiting. Sometimes this differs for men and women in the same country.  ???

In some countries, NOT wearing something could signal that you are a tourist. For example, in some countries, hats or scarves are worn by the majority, or, in winter, most people might wear neck scarves. Be alert to simple, inexpensive ways that you could blend in. This is stupid.

Avoid walking down the street while eating food.  :laugh:

Requesting, at a restaurant, typical US condiments like catsup, salt, pepper, etc. It is best to use the typical condiments in your host country, but if you cannot eat without some condiment, take small packets with you to use rather than insisting that the restaurant supply you with it.   ???

Don't insist on drinking “Coke” with every meal. Drink whatever you want.

Try to manage without requesting ice in your drinks. This one is probably the only one I could agree with

Remember that often “bottled water” will be carbonated. Before the waiter brings it and opens it, be sure to request water that is “natural” instead of “with gas”, if that is what you prefer.  ???

Use local table manners instead of US ones. For example, in Europe, a fork and knife are used differently than in the US. In some Southeast Asian nations chopsticks might be more appropriate.  ??? And how a newly arrived US citizen is supposed to know that?

Don't insist on ordering meals in a typical US fashion. For example, in some countries, a salad is the last item served, not the first. In others, people don't eat what we in the US think of as a “salad”.   ???

Avoid making eye contact, smiling, greeting, and engaging in conversation with strangers.   ??? Spaniards are experts in smiling and doing eye contact with strangers.

Refrain from carrying US newspapers or books in plain view.  ??? Why?

Refrain from loud talking, large arm and hand movements, and boisterous behavior. Adults in most cultures are more reserved and use lower voices in public places (i.e., train stations, shopping centers, public streets, etc.). If you do that in Spain you'll look like a local!

If you must use a dictionary to translate a sign or menu, be discrete. For example, copy down the words of the sign and move aside to a less public place to work out the translation??? Why?

Avoid showing other people what you have purchased by pulling items out of shopping bags in public places such as streets, busses, etc. Spaniards do it all the time.

Be conscious of the amount of space you occupy; most cultures are used to using less than US citizens. For example, try not to occupy more space than locals at a restaurant counter, in a waiting area in the train station, in the bus, etc.   ???

Avoid chewing gum in public places.   ??? This is stupid.

Yup, Natali, these were the ones I thought were especially odd!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 01:50:33 pm »

Unless the shoes are sneakers, I think that's tacky anywhere.  :laugh:

Offline optom3

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 02:48:20 pm »
Unless the shoes are sneakers, I think that's tacky anywhere.  :laugh:

Well a lot of Brits. wear socks with their sandals so I don't suppose that is any better. Surely the only piece of advice any traveller needs is, respect the customs and traditions of the country you are visiting.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 03:32:11 pm »
Well a lot of Brits. wear socks with their sandals so I don't suppose that is any better.

I see some Americans doing that, too. And I always think to myself, "If your feet are so cold that you need to wear socks, then why are you wearing sandals instead of proper shoes?"  :laugh:

Surely the only piece of advice any traveller needs is, respect the customs and traditions of the country you are visiting.

Agreed!  :)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 03:35:02 pm »
Doesn't wearing socks with sandals defeat the purpose of wearing sandals?  ???

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 04:56:33 pm »
wearing socks with scandals is commonly seen among biking people, other athletes, and people who have an affinity to catching athletes foot. the chafing of the scandals or flip flops on unprotected skin provides a highly suseptible field for infection.

That's scandalous!!  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 04:57:50 pm »
Hi Anke!!! :-* :-*

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 05:25:25 pm »
Hi David!!  :-*

On the subject of recognizing American tourists, I guess they can't really disguise. I grew up in a town with an American army base in Germany, and, looking at people in the streets, I could always tell who was American and who wasn't. It's not only the clothes, but also the way people move, their facial features, hairdos and glasses, how they laugh and look around. I can't really put my finger on it. It's their whole appearance. Once, a cousin from the United States who visited us wanted to try out his German vocabulary on a guy walking past our house, saying aloud "Guten Abend!". I told him, that was an American GI, and he asked how I knew. I couldn't really explain it. It was just so obvious. On the other hand, I also recognize German tourists anywhere...

::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 07:07:28 pm »
Hi David!!  :-*

On the subject of recognizing American tourists, I guess they can't really disguise. I grew up in a town with an American army base in Germany, and, looking at people in the streets, I could always tell who was American and who wasn't. It's not only the clothes, but also the way people move, their facial features, hairdos and glasses, how they laugh and look around. I can't really put my finger on it. It's their whole appearance. Once, a cousin from the United States who visited us wanted to try out his German vocabulary on a guy walking past our house, saying aloud "Guten Abend!". I told him, that was an American GI, and he asked how I knew. I couldn't really explain it. It was just so obvious. On the other hand, I also recognize German tourists anywhere...

Call it "tourist-dar," maybe?

Works like gaydar, but it detects tourists instead?  ;D

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 07:32:25 pm »

Its just the "Aggies" Laura, we have learned to be patient with them here in Texas. 

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 07:37:04 pm »
men who are clearly dressed in uncomfortable, girly-like shirts and pants that their wives got on sale for the trip. Dead give away.

Are they the "Girlie-men" the "Ar-nold" spoke of?

"Don't Be Economic Girlie Men!"

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 06:48:18 pm by brokeplex »

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 07:47:07 pm »
Its just the "Aggies" Laura, we have learned to be patient with them here in Texas. 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline oilgun

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 08:04:32 pm »
wearing socks with scandals is commonly seen among biking people, other athletes, and people who have an affinity to catching athletes foot. the chafing of the scandals or flip flops on unprotected skin provides a highly suseptible field for infection.

Then why wear sandals at all then? These people could just wear shoes.  Seems to me that thick socks, wet-with-sweat, would be a great environment for fungal growth, even with sandals.   ???

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 10:06:43 pm »

Sure enough Brokeplex.  Some of them, from what we've seen, may have other talents!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 10:13:31 pm »
I can't wear my sandals with socks. They would fall off.

At least I think they would.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 10:36:35 pm »

I don't wear sandals myself. Can't stand 'em, actually. On other people, either. Most people do not have attractive feet. ...

injest

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2009, 12:24:19 am »

HEY!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline optom3

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 10:04:39 am »

Not only that, it just looks plain silly.
I thought it was just a Brit. thing, but since this seemingly innocent thread started, I have been looking around and sure enough, lots of Americans here in Florida wear white socks and sandals.The sporting type sandals with one strap and knobbly soles. It seems to be a fashion thing, as it is the same people who wear their shorts down by their knees.
That is another thing I can't get my head round, they walk round trying to stop the front of their shorts from falling right down and exposing everything. I noticed it when I was working at the store, young black Americans (is that  P.C ?) walking round with shorts about 10 sizes too big would arrive at the register, desperately trying to hold up their shorts, get out their money and talk on the cell phone, madness !!!
I used to wait in anticipation of them dropping one thing, unfortunately it was never their shorts. :)
I must be getting old, I don't "get" the fashion, and music and the police look younger than James !

Offline Katie77

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2009, 10:21:34 am »
Yeah, those shorts the youngens wear now, the not only look awful, they cant be that comfortable, hanging around their arse all the time, and the fork hanging down near their knees.

I'm like you Fi, 12 months behind the fashions of the young ones......the first time I ever saw a young kid wearing those baggy hanging shorts, was down at Hervey Bay, which is a beachside suburb. I watched this kid walking along the footpath, with shorts on that looked like they were 10 sizes too big, and I felt sorry for him. I thought he must have either lost his own shorts at the beach, or got them wet, and had to borrow someone elses, who happend to be a lot bigger than he was. I thought, "you poor kid, having to walk down the street in ovesized shorts, that even showed the top of his undies".

Oh and sandals and socks.....oh no no no......socks must always be covered by shoes, always. Its as big a turn off as blokes wearing socks to bed, nothing is more than a turn off, than a naked or half naked man, with bloody socks on....oh I could throw up.  Bob and I had a standing joke, if he wears socks to bed......he will do a little piroquet acting sexy, and I will roll over and say, "well obviously you dont want sex tonight, good night".....then we burst out laughing.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2009, 06:50:54 pm »

Sure enough Brokeplex.  Some of them, from what we've seen, may have other talents!

and I can confirm that your surmise is correct.

During my years at UT Austin, I managed to sneak away for a few weekends to make the 90 mile drive over to College Station for some interesting encounters.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 06:54:49 pm »
HEY!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Sorry, I forgot your son is at TAMU.  :(

But you know the old Aggie joke here in Texas - "What do you call an Aggie after he graduates?" "Boss"

There is no doubt the Aggie network does more to promote and help its alums than any other university I am familiar with.

So, I am certain your son will have no difficulty finding a great career.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2009, 10:32:31 pm »
It seems to be a fashion thing, as it is the same people who wear their shorts down by their knees.
That is another thing I can't get my head round, they walk round trying to stop the front of their shorts from falling right down and exposing everything. I noticed it when I was working at the store, young black Americans (is that  P.C ?) walking round with shorts about 10 sizes too big would arrive at the register, desperately trying to hold up their shorts, get out their money and talk on the cell phone, madness !!!
I used to wait in anticipation of them dropping one thing, unfortunately it was never their shorts. :)

Tell you what, that has got to be about the dumbest fashion thing ever. I saw a kid once who's shorts were hanging so low you could see almost all of his underwear-covered butt. How he kept the pants from falling--not to mention how he could walk with his pants riding that low--I never did figure out. Good for a laugh, though.  :laugh:

injest

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2009, 12:47:27 pm »
Tell you what, that has got to be about the dumbest fashion thing ever. I saw a kid once who's shorts were hanging so low you could see almost all of his underwear-covered butt. How he kept the pants from falling--not to mention how he could walk with his pants riding that low--I never did figure out. Good for a laugh, though.  :laugh:

the police like them though...you ever see one of them kids try to RUN in those things...it is the funniest thing you will see this month..

I was driving thru Longview one day and a young man wearing jeans that would fit the entire football team at once was trying to get across the road, it was very busy and about half way across he started trying to run.

he hiked them pants up like Erkel and started this stiff legged jolting run, legs straight and swinging out in big arcs to the side; his body like a board swaying side to side like a boat in a high wind ...I almost ran off the road laughing..

now THAT was SEXXY, I am thankful I was not a teenage girl or I woulda had to pull over and offer myself as his love slave... ::) ::)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2009, 01:26:32 pm »
One time I was in the produce dept at a grocery store and just couldn't stop staring at this one kid... he was standing at a produce table with his pants ON THE FLOOR AROUND HIS ANKLES. 

He was talking to a friend and the table/produce stand was kind of between them so his friend couldn't see, I guess.  And it was really no biggie since he had these big oversized basketball shorts on underneath.  But in the meantime his outer shorts had completely fallen down, along with a belt with a metal buckle (I guess it had been fashionably loose too, although I don't know how he could have missed the clunk when the metal buckle hit the floor – maybe the big shorts kind of insulated the noise).

Anyway I just stared at him with a 'WTF' look, and went on my way.  I got halfway to the deli and heard him go, "Oh my God!!"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2009, 01:41:20 pm »

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2009, 01:42:39 pm »
It looks uncomfortable.

Schools around here (and even some malls) outlaw that particular fashion.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2009, 01:45:19 pm »

One wonders what the purpose of the pants even are, at that point.  Leg warmers with pockets, I guess?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2009, 02:33:57 pm »

This is how I will leave this world I'm sure.  One day I won't be able to control the urge, and man is it ever strong, to pull down on a pair of these low-riding pants.  (Although I might be able to out-run the banger-wannabe)  One time I saw one who had white tight-fitting boxers and the way his bubble-butt was wiggling, it was positively pornographic!  I loved it! 
I mean really, what is it if not a bizarre invitation to be rear-mounted?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2009, 02:38:46 pm »
It looks uncomfortable.

Schools around here (and even some malls) outlaw that particular fashion.

"That particular fashion"

:laugh: :laugh:

I don't know why, but I found that funny. I suppose the word "fashion" isn't something that immediately comes to mind when I see something like that. :laugh:

Many of the kids around here are wearing their pants like that. They've been doing it for several years now. And it's not limited to one particular race or demographic either, except for age perhaps. And the underwear is NEVER attractive. It always looks like something you'd use to dust off your funiture. Or wash your car.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2009, 03:57:10 pm »
... And the underwear is NEVER attractive. It always looks like something you'd use to dust off your funiture. Or wash your car.

I don't know... looks like the guys in your photo picked some nice patterns!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2009, 06:33:51 pm »
I don't know... looks like the guys in your photo picked some nice patterns!

If I can judge from the rear view, they're welcome to wash my car. ...  ;)

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2009, 07:56:34 pm »
GOSH!! The last posts here were just freaking hilarious!!! Haven't laughed so much in a while!
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2009, 07:58:28 pm »

Here I wonder about the guy on the left. Why is he actually bothering wearing anything at all. His tank top is not rolled down and his shorts are not pulled up. He could just wear his boxers. It would cost less.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2009, 08:10:35 pm »
The thing perhaps I admire most about Americans, is their unabashed pride in their country.
And that is my personal hate peeve.. Don't like that much at all! Not of any national really. A few years ago I went to a World Cup (or was it the European Championship.. ?) football screening in a Goethe Institut/library in Brussels. Were playing: Germany vs Turkey (I think) and at the beginning they sounded the German hymn and people stood up. I sank into my chair very very deep.. I can't but find it embarrassing. I'm nationality challenged (I'm German), I know, but I can't help it.

And German tourists too, can be annoying and embarassing!

I had one funny moment once when I was in the States (Nashwille I think it was), walking around with two German friends, speaking German, having a big camera dangling around my neck and an out-of-town American couple came towards me asking me for directions...

Offline Katie77

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2009, 10:31:13 pm »
GOSH!! The last posts here were just freaking hilarious!!! Haven't laughed so much in a while!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Me either.......

Offline Katie77

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2009, 10:45:04 pm »
And that is my personal hate peeve.. Don't like that much at all! Not of any national really. A few years ago I went to a World Cup (or was it the European Championship.. ?) football screening in a Goethe Institut/library in Brussels. Were playing: Germany vs Turkey (I think) and at the beginning they sounded the German hymn and people stood up. I sank into my chair very very deep.. I can't but find it embarrassing. I'm nationality challenged (I'm German), I know, but I can't help it.

And German tourists too, can be annoying and embarassing!

I had one funny moment once when I was in the States (Nashwille I think it was), walking around with two German friends, speaking German, having a big camera dangling around my neck and an out-of-town American couple came towards me asking me for directions...

Dont be hard on people because they are proud where they come from.....I know some can go overboard, and yes, a little embarrassing.......but they dont mean anyone any harm.

I think what happens, especially if they are in a different country, they get homesick, and feel closer to their homeland by talking about it. And lets face it, they are there finding out about the country they are visiting, and many people would ask them about their country.

As long as they are not comparing their country with the one they are visiting....with the "ours is bigger, or better" lines, it is all quite harmless.

The thing I have encountered, especialy with American tourists, is how they speak of their country with pride but also compliment us on our beautiful country as well........thats what you call, perfect guests.

injest

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2009, 11:37:10 pm »
Dont be hard on people because they are proud where they come from.....I know some can go overboard, and yes, a little embarrassing.......but they dont mean anyone any harm.

I think what happens, especially if they are in a different country, they get homesick, and feel closer to their homeland by talking about it. And lets face it, they are there finding out about the country they are visiting, and many people would ask them about their country.

As long as they are not comparing their country with the one they are visiting....with the "ours is bigger, or better" lines, it is all quite harmless.

The thing I have encountered, especialy with American tourists, is how they speak of their country with pride but also compliment us on our beautiful country as well........thats what you call, perfect guests.
thank you Sue, I appreciate you saying that.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2009, 10:02:45 am »
A few years ago I went to a World Cup (or was it the European Championship.. ?) football screening in a Goethe Institut/library in Brussels. Were playing: Germany vs Turkey (I think) and at the beginning they sounded the German hymn and people stood up. I sank into my chair very very deep.. I can't but find it embarrassing. I'm nationality challenged (I'm German), I know, but I can't help it.

really?  I always stand up when the American national anthem is played, and would expect anyone from any other country to stand when their national anthem is played.

I think it's good to have some pride in the country you call home.

If I travel abroad (not often, but it happens occasionally) and I'm asked where I'm from, I not only say the country, but specify the state as well.

There are so many bad jokes about New Jersey, from the smell of certain areas, and the way the women do their hair, and it gets tiresome.  I've heard NJ be called "the armpit of the US".

>:(

I'm proud to be from NJ!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline oilgun

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2009, 11:00:47 am »

really?  I always stand up when the American national anthem is played, and would expect anyone from any other country to stand when their national anthem is played.

I think it's good to have some pride in the country you call home.

If I travel abroad (not often, but it happens occasionally) and I'm asked where I'm from, I not only say the country, but specify the state as well.

There are so many bad jokes about New Jersey, from the smell of certain areas, and the way the women do their hair, and it gets tiresome.  I've heard NJ be called "the armpit of the US".

I'm proud to be from NJ!

Well, some of us have armpit fetishes.  Does that help?  (Deodorant-free natch)

I get very nervous with excessive displays of nationalism.  I remember being in Montreal during their "national" holiday,  Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day, and the parade was just a tsunami of Blue Québec flags and it actually triggered a mild anxiety attack.  It felt like I was suddenly dropped into a Leni Riefenstahl propaganda film.  I hated it!  Often the purpose of these displays is to exclude others.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2009, 11:13:19 am »
I think it's natural to take some pride in one's homeland. Chuck, your attitude sounds perfectly fine and understandable.

But homeland pride taken to extreme can have a negative flip side. Americans, I think, have to be particularly careful of this because their country is so wealthy and powerful and the residents can be somewhat provincial. The stereotypical "ugly American" behaviors come from some people -- not all Americans, obviously, just some -- behaving with a sense of entitlement or superiority because of their nationality.

I think that attitude -- whether it's based on innocent pride or a sense of superiority -- is what makes the difference.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2009, 11:15:01 am »
Really?  I always stand up when the American national anthem is played, and would expect anyone from any other country to stand when their national anthem is played.

It's also proper etiquette.

I'm proud to be from NJ!

Owing to its position between New York City and Philadelphia, I've heard New Jersey referred to as the vale of humility between two mountains of conceit. ...  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2009, 12:33:12 pm »
Owing to its position between New York City and Philadelphia, I've heard New Jersey referred to as the vale of humility between two mountains of conceit. ...  ;D

Now that's one I've never heard!   :laugh:

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »
I'm also very proud of my Scottishness!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2009, 02:55:52 pm »
I'm also very proud of my Scottishness!

And so you should be! The Scots are a great people, with a great history and a marvelous cultural heritage. In the 18th century "Scottish Enlightenment," Edinburgh was practically a new Athens, head and shoulders above London in science and philosophy.  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2009, 05:13:05 pm »
And so you should be! The Scots are a great people, with a great history and a marvelous cultural heritage. In the 18th century "Scottish Enlightenment," Edinburgh was practically a new Athens, head and shoulders above London in science and philosophy.  :)
:D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2009, 10:48:38 pm »

We Americans try our best to be kind and welcoming to people from all other countries when
they come here to visit.  I think that they should do the same, unless someone is acting like an
ugly American, by being overbearing and demanding.  But if they insist on your apparal  being
something that has to blend in with the other country, and acting different than your own self,
then maybe they are just a bit stuck up on themselves and need to chill out.  They need to
appreciate the tourism that is helping to increase their countries financial worth.  JMO

Beautiful mind

Offline Katie77

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2009, 04:57:34 am »
In some countries there are rules for everyone, not just tourists. In some places there are particular things that you cannot take a photo of, or certain clothing is considered not suitable. I would assume that if a tourist is about to go to these countries, they are informed by the travel agent of what the local traditions and laws are, and as a guest in another country, I think that tourists should abide by these rules.

I think every country hears about the "ugly" tourists from their country. We hear about the "Ugly Aussies" too. The truth is, they are probably ugly in their own country too, and it is just magnified when they visit another country.

But all tourists should not be tagged with this. Most visit other countries to see the different cultures, and mix informally with the locals, and I am sure that they show the same respect to them, as they would expect in return.

Of course tourists stand out in some places, carrying maps, cameras, brochures, and souvenirs....theres nothing wrong with that. They are in temporary accomodation, using rented vehicles or tourist buses, and dealing with different currencies and languages. Give them a break, most of them have saved long and hard for their holiday, they just want to enjoy themselves, and as long as they do that with dignity, they should be allowed to be a tourist.

Offline Nevermore

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2009, 05:40:45 am »
the police like them though...you ever see one of them kids try to RUN in those things...it is the funniest thing you will see this month..

I was driving thru Longview one day and a young man wearing jeans that would fit the entire football team at once was trying to get across the road, it was very busy and about half way across he started trying to run.

he hiked them pants up like Erkel and started this stiff legged jolting run, legs straight and swinging out in big arcs to the side; his body like a board swaying side to side like a boat in a high wind ...I almost ran off the road laughing..

now THAT was SEXXY, I am thankful I was not a teenage girl or I woulda had to pull over and offer myself as his love slave... ::) ::)

Ohmigod Jess, you kill me!!
Though I have seen this look sported by white kids in Neasden (north London 'burb), replete with "what up, dog!" speech.

injest

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2009, 07:35:48 am »
Ohmigod Jess, you kill me!!
Though I have seen this look sported by white kids in Neasden (north London 'burb), replete with "what up, dog!" speech.

:laugh: :laugh:

yep what looks "cool" in the mirror at home when you pose dont necessarily look so cool when you actually have to do something in it..

Offline optom3

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2009, 11:51:24 am »

So when did you sneak into the store car park. That is everyone of what used to be our customers.  You have captured in one photo what it took me a paragraph to explain. Still looks bloody stupid though. James at his lockdown school has 2 dress code violations for dropped shorts,so they have given him a belt which he has to wear.
He is very confused and does not seem to know what his style is, classic rock with skinny jeans one day and plaid shorts falling down the next !! ?? :)

Oh well that's teenagers for you, I used to go for the tarty rock chick look, stinky smelly afghan coat which I had to hang in the garage and low cut halter top. Those were the days.

Offline optom3

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2009, 12:05:02 pm »
I also love pride in your country, not taken to the level of some very far right wingers, but just a sense of belonging somewhere and being proud of it. I am so proud of my Scottish heritage, I only have to see a kilt or hear the bagpipes and the hair on the back of my neck stands up and I feel a big lump in my throat and tears begin to prick my eyes.
The English seem to have lost all that and it saddens me. The sheer unabashed and deep routed pride of mant Americans I find to be like a breath of fresh air. No one In England ever stood up and sang the national anthem when Emma used to compete in horse riding competitions, here at every gym meet they all rise for the National anthem. I persoanlly like it and wish England would stop being so PC and regain some pride in their cultures and heritage.
In the U.K it seems a Gallic thing, with the Scots, welsh and Irish.
I love the fact that Matt and Emma are fascinated by social studies and learning about America's founding fathers. I know some take it a little far, but within the home country and expressed as an allegiance and pride in your country, how can that be wrong.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2009, 12:26:45 pm »
We hear about the "Ugly Aussies" too.

Oh, my goodness. I don't think we've ever had any of them in Philadelphia. Everyone I've ever met has been unfailingly polite and lots of fun. Same goes for New Zealanders.  :)

Edit: Fixed a typo.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:59:03 am by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2009, 12:29:43 pm »
I am so proud of my Scottish heritage, I only have to see a kilt or hear the bagpipes and the hair on the back of my neck stands up and I feel a big lump in my throat and tears begin to prick my eyes.

Forgive me going off topic a bit, but, it's the funniest thing. I have barely a drop of Celtic blood in me--though my maternal grandmother's maiden name was Bailey--it's almost all pure German--yet there is something about Celtic art forms, and Celtic music--including the pipes--that really appeals to me--makes the hair on my head stand up, too!  :D

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic. ...

Offline Katie77

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2009, 11:56:45 pm »
Oh, my goodness. I don't think we've ever had any of them in Philadelphia. Everyone I've ever met has been unfailingly polite and lots of. Same goes for New Zealanders.  :)

Thats very nice to hear Jeff......

I think maybe the "ugly's" are few and far between from any country, and maybe they are noticed more by the people in the country they come from, than the people in the country they are visiting.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2009, 12:06:28 am »
I think maybe the "ugly's" are few and far between from any country, and maybe they are noticed more by the people in the country they come from, than the people in the country they are visiting.

I think this is exactly right.