Author Topic: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist  (Read 24673 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2009, 07:58:28 pm »

Here I wonder about the guy on the left. Why is he actually bothering wearing anything at all. His tank top is not rolled down and his shorts are not pulled up. He could just wear his boxers. It would cost less.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2009, 08:10:35 pm »
The thing perhaps I admire most about Americans, is their unabashed pride in their country.
And that is my personal hate peeve.. Don't like that much at all! Not of any national really. A few years ago I went to a World Cup (or was it the European Championship.. ?) football screening in a Goethe Institut/library in Brussels. Were playing: Germany vs Turkey (I think) and at the beginning they sounded the German hymn and people stood up. I sank into my chair very very deep.. I can't but find it embarrassing. I'm nationality challenged (I'm German), I know, but I can't help it.

And German tourists too, can be annoying and embarassing!

I had one funny moment once when I was in the States (Nashwille I think it was), walking around with two German friends, speaking German, having a big camera dangling around my neck and an out-of-town American couple came towards me asking me for directions...
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2009, 10:31:13 pm »
GOSH!! The last posts here were just freaking hilarious!!! Haven't laughed so much in a while!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Me either.......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2009, 10:45:04 pm »
And that is my personal hate peeve.. Don't like that much at all! Not of any national really. A few years ago I went to a World Cup (or was it the European Championship.. ?) football screening in a Goethe Institut/library in Brussels. Were playing: Germany vs Turkey (I think) and at the beginning they sounded the German hymn and people stood up. I sank into my chair very very deep.. I can't but find it embarrassing. I'm nationality challenged (I'm German), I know, but I can't help it.

And German tourists too, can be annoying and embarassing!

I had one funny moment once when I was in the States (Nashwille I think it was), walking around with two German friends, speaking German, having a big camera dangling around my neck and an out-of-town American couple came towards me asking me for directions...

Dont be hard on people because they are proud where they come from.....I know some can go overboard, and yes, a little embarrassing.......but they dont mean anyone any harm.

I think what happens, especially if they are in a different country, they get homesick, and feel closer to their homeland by talking about it. And lets face it, they are there finding out about the country they are visiting, and many people would ask them about their country.

As long as they are not comparing their country with the one they are visiting....with the "ours is bigger, or better" lines, it is all quite harmless.

The thing I have encountered, especialy with American tourists, is how they speak of their country with pride but also compliment us on our beautiful country as well........thats what you call, perfect guests.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2009, 11:37:10 pm »
Dont be hard on people because they are proud where they come from.....I know some can go overboard, and yes, a little embarrassing.......but they dont mean anyone any harm.

I think what happens, especially if they are in a different country, they get homesick, and feel closer to their homeland by talking about it. And lets face it, they are there finding out about the country they are visiting, and many people would ask them about their country.

As long as they are not comparing their country with the one they are visiting....with the "ours is bigger, or better" lines, it is all quite harmless.

The thing I have encountered, especialy with American tourists, is how they speak of their country with pride but also compliment us on our beautiful country as well........thats what you call, perfect guests.
thank you Sue, I appreciate you saying that.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2009, 10:02:45 am »
A few years ago I went to a World Cup (or was it the European Championship.. ?) football screening in a Goethe Institut/library in Brussels. Were playing: Germany vs Turkey (I think) and at the beginning they sounded the German hymn and people stood up. I sank into my chair very very deep.. I can't but find it embarrassing. I'm nationality challenged (I'm German), I know, but I can't help it.

really?  I always stand up when the American national anthem is played, and would expect anyone from any other country to stand when their national anthem is played.

I think it's good to have some pride in the country you call home.

If I travel abroad (not often, but it happens occasionally) and I'm asked where I'm from, I not only say the country, but specify the state as well.

There are so many bad jokes about New Jersey, from the smell of certain areas, and the way the women do their hair, and it gets tiresome.  I've heard NJ be called "the armpit of the US".

>:(

I'm proud to be from NJ!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2009, 11:00:47 am »

really?  I always stand up when the American national anthem is played, and would expect anyone from any other country to stand when their national anthem is played.

I think it's good to have some pride in the country you call home.

If I travel abroad (not often, but it happens occasionally) and I'm asked where I'm from, I not only say the country, but specify the state as well.

There are so many bad jokes about New Jersey, from the smell of certain areas, and the way the women do their hair, and it gets tiresome.  I've heard NJ be called "the armpit of the US".

I'm proud to be from NJ!

Well, some of us have armpit fetishes.  Does that help?  (Deodorant-free natch)

I get very nervous with excessive displays of nationalism.  I remember being in Montreal during their "national" holiday,  Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day, and the parade was just a tsunami of Blue Québec flags and it actually triggered a mild anxiety attack.  It felt like I was suddenly dropped into a Leni Riefenstahl propaganda film.  I hated it!  Often the purpose of these displays is to exclude others.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2009, 11:13:19 am »
I think it's natural to take some pride in one's homeland. Chuck, your attitude sounds perfectly fine and understandable.

But homeland pride taken to extreme can have a negative flip side. Americans, I think, have to be particularly careful of this because their country is so wealthy and powerful and the residents can be somewhat provincial. The stereotypical "ugly American" behaviors come from some people -- not all Americans, obviously, just some -- behaving with a sense of entitlement or superiority because of their nationality.

I think that attitude -- whether it's based on innocent pride or a sense of superiority -- is what makes the difference.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2009, 11:15:01 am »
Really?  I always stand up when the American national anthem is played, and would expect anyone from any other country to stand when their national anthem is played.

It's also proper etiquette.

I'm proud to be from NJ!

Owing to its position between New York City and Philadelphia, I've heard New Jersey referred to as the vale of humility between two mountains of conceit. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2009, 12:33:12 pm »
Owing to its position between New York City and Philadelphia, I've heard New Jersey referred to as the vale of humility between two mountains of conceit. ...  ;D

Now that's one I've never heard!   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!