Author Topic: Comparisons of Milk and Brokeback Mountain  (Read 8232 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Comparisons of Milk and Brokeback Mountain
« on: May 13, 2009, 11:40:54 am »
This appeared in the Washington Blade, comparing the Oscar chances of Milk vs Brokeback Mountain.

http://www.washblade.com/2009/1-30/arts/feature/14015.cfm
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Comparisons of Milk and Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 02:59:51 pm »
    What a joke.  Milk was certainly the best movie, and so was TDK.  The cute little Bollywood feel
good movie that won was so forgettable that in five years it wont even be on the radar for people
to care about.  The Oscars have become so errevolant that they should be embarressed.
     If you are trying to compare the two movies however, they are totally different.  The subject
matter in Milk was not so much about breaking ground, as how the same thing that happened to
Jack and Ennis was the results of the same prejudice.  No matter the fearlessness of the people.
It showed that enough people will find a reason to use the prejudices that they have in order to
continue to wreak death and destruction on gays.  Personally I thought they were both excellent movies, but Brokeback was much more, because it encompassed so much more than the story only.  There was the beautiful script.  The wonderous scenery and filming, and the incomparable
music in it.  It still in my opinion is the best movie ever made.

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 10:27:45 am »
Did you see Slumdog? I have seen it three times and I liked it very much. I thought it did deserve best picture, not only for the directing but for the incrediblly good performances, especially by the children and young people, and for the music and writing. The way the television studio shots were interwoven with the flashbacks was extremely well done IMO. Also, I loved the use of glass and iridescent and sparkling colors that conrasted with the mud (and worse!) of Mumbai's slums.  I could say more about this film, but there is a thread for that.

While Milk is also an excellent film, I thought Sean Penn had to carry too much on his shoulders. The actors who played Scott, Jack, and the lesbian campaign manager were very good too, as was Josh Brolin. There were too many scenes that left you wondering. What was the point of the christening scene, or the long zoom out of Harvey and Scott hugging while squatting in the street? The crowd scenes seemed excessively choreographed IMO, as were the scenes of gays being herded into paddy wagons. The last scene was one of the worst endings I have ever seen on film (I won't describe it in fear of spoiling). The thing that bothered me most was excessive use of the "Ken Burns" effect...the long slow zoom of a grainy, sepia-toned scene. C'mon, Gus, this was a colorful time in San Francisco, not some old Western!! The music was forgettable and to make a film from that era without using the music was IMO inexcusable! But I'm being too harsh...it is a good film and one everybody should see! Feel free to debate me on these points!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:50:36 pm »

Yes I did see that movie, and I thought it was cute, and very flashy.  But it didnt strike me as nearly as
memorable as either of the other two movies.   It seemed more like a fairy tale to me.  I had a very difficult
time suspending my belief system in order to accept the truth of it.  It was bright and colorful, and had exciting
scenes, but it left me wanting more...

Beautiful mind

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:43:46 pm »
I loved Milk, but I also loved Slumdog Millionaire.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3