Author Topic: Would You Allow Something Like This In Your Car To Save Money?  (Read 5146 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Pay-As-You-Go Insurance

Would you be willing to let "Big Brother" into your car in order to save money?

Pay-as-you-drive insurance policies trade off a little personal privacy for, potentially, a significant discount. Some drivers are seeing savings to the tune of 25%.

Would you opt for a program like this to save money?

Read the full article at the following link:

http://autos.aol.com/article/pay-as-you-drive

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
Re: Would You Allow Something Like This In Your Car To Save Money?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 01:33:13 am »
I'm not sure. Although I'm a safe driver with an impeccable driving record - well that's a damn lie, but my record is pretty good - I wouldn't mind something like this in my car to save money on my insurance.

But this device seems to monitor everything including the fine quirks of your car such as tempermental brakes and sensitive acceleration which could count against you - things that are not your fault, but the fault of your car or the car's design.

It would probably be a good thing for young or inexperienced drivers. Some teenage drivers probably need some monitoring.

What do you think about it?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 06:59:15 am »
I would certainly consider it...
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:05:34 am »
Another Big Brother!

Lets see, the tracking starts already as the community gate records when I leave and enter my community. Then the electronic SunPass (FL) records what exit ramp I enter and exit and can even send me a ticket if the trip seems to be "to quick" between exits. Then when I get to work the electonis locks on all the department doors record my every move. Now lets not even mention the bank knows my every movement when I make purchases as I move about my day. I could go on and on with the electronic records of my life.

No, I dont want more Big Brother in my life.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:16:37 pm »
NO WAY !!!!
Driving in Florida with its elderly, half blind. totally deaf and guess what I am going to do next drivers, I have my foot almost permanently on the brake pedal. I would have been dead by now otherwise.
They never indicate, they pull out of side roads when there is no gap, you just have to try and make one for them.They realise at the last millisecond that they needed that exit on the interstate.
I have never had to drive so defensively as I do now. It is positively hairy. I even park over 2 parking spots, as the old dears bless them, just open their door right into yours, not a care in the world !!!!
So I suspect I would not get much of a discount, more likely an even more loaded premium !!!
On several occasions I have had to accelerate through lights as I see in my rear view mirror that dolly daydream behind has no intention of stopping!!! Orange here does not mean proceed with caution, it is taken as an invitation to put pedal to the metal and floor it.
Once through the lights, they  revert back to their more regular snails pace, which of course prompts those who have not reached 3 digits age wise to take yet more hairbrained risks.
If you can drive in Florida you can drive anywhere.The streets of Paris and a 6 lane roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe, a walk in the park, mad Italians on the coast from Amalfi to Sorrento,overtaking on a blind bend with  a sheer cliff drop and  no barrier, a picnic. Hell I could probably compete in the Monaco grand prix these days.
I am on about my 4th set of brake pads though !!!   ;D   

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 12:15:38 am »
No.  Even if it would save me money.  There's too much Big Brother IMO as it is but with our Facebook/MySpace generation who like to give away their privacy, I sure there will be a lot of takers in the near future.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 12:23:24 am »
Three "no's" and one "unsure". The unsure was me.

Fiona I had to laugh a bit when I read your post. It's also sad I realize. I know what you are talking about because I lived in Florida for a couple of years- in the Fort Lauderdale area. And I experienced the same things you described. So it's sad, but also funny I guess.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 12:53:32 am »
We have been getting adverts recently over here, about this type of insurance, and I often wondered how they monitor it. I'm not sure if they use these gadgets, but it makes sense that they would to clarify the driving habits of someone.

I voted for "not sure"...I'm a good driver (as long as my hubby is not sitting beside me), but I still do like my privacy, and have rarely made insurance claims, so it would have to be a bloody good financial deal for me to do it.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 04:02:32 am »

That would be the final Big Brother key....if they can get you there where next in your house?  Making sure you dont violate
sexual sodomy laws, or whatever they make illegal.??   No No a thousand times no!!!!  Privacy has no price.

Beautiful mind

injest

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 07:26:27 pm »
no.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 02:50:07 am »
My life's an open book. I have nothing to hide. Install away.  :D

We have a major problem with probationary drivers here in Oz. The death toll is particularly high in that group. They pile up their cars with friends and drive off into the night, tanked-up on booze, and end up wrapping themselves around a power pole. Roadside shrines have become quite common here.  :'(  Recently in the media there was the trial of a young chap whose only mistake was to go out for the night with some of his friends. He wasn't a criminal. He wasn't a gangster. He wasn't a drunk. Alas, however, he was a young, inexperienced driver and he killed all three of his friends, who were passengers in his car. He survived (he's in jail) and must now live with the fact that he killed them all.  Perhaps such a device should be compulsorily fitted to the cars of all probationary drivers. If it saves just one young life, it's worth it IMHO.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 03:44:11 am »
Nah, No, Nope, Negative, Never, Not in this lifetime.

Touch wood I have have never had an accident that was my fault. Gee I can hear the sighs from here, but I haven't. Some one has always ran into the back of me so their insurance has to cough up.

However although I am into saving a cent or two, I do not like the idea of big brother knowing exactly where I am or have been. Secondly although I never ever tail gate, I can be known to have a lead foot, and unless the driver is a member of the blue rinse brigade I am not the most patient individual.