Author Topic: The Wizard of OZ: A cautionary tale for girls?  (Read 14289 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
The Wizard of OZ: A cautionary tale for girls?
« on: May 24, 2009, 01:45:49 pm »
The strange juxtaposition of sparkly high heels and bobby sox made me think about this movie and its many interesting subtexts. The first thing I thought of was the three witches, Glenda, Dorothy, and the Wicked Witch of the West, Maiden, Madonna, and Crone. Shall we discuss?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Wizard of OZ: A cautionary tale for girls?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 01:57:55 pm »
Another interesting facet was the way the men in Dorothy's life got transformed in her dream into incomplete men, and she was in charge of making sure they were completed.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 02:47:11 pm »
Those are interesting observations Lee. I never thought about it like that before, but I think you may be on to something here. :)

I've always felt TWoO had a misogynistic tinge to it. With the exception of the Witch of the North, the women in the movie are not all that admirable. Miss Gultch was absolutely horrible, Aunt Em is cold and callous, The Witch of the West is evil, Dorothy is a naive girl who depends on men to take care of her.....

But then we must remember this story was written in the late 1800s and the movie was filmed in 1939. I've often wondered if the movie would be received in such a positive light had it been released in this day and age. :-\

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 06:05:11 pm »
Those are interesting observations Lee. I never thought about it like that before, but I think you may be on to something here. :)

I've always felt TWoO had a misogynistic tinge to it. With the exception of the Witch of the North, the women in the movie are not all that admirable. Miss Gultch was absolutely horrible, Aunt Em is cold and callous, The Witch of the West is evil, Dorothy is a naive girl who depends on men to take care of her.....

But then we must remember this story was written in the late 1800s and the movie was filmed in 1939. I've often wondered if the movie would be received in such a positive light had it been released in this day and age.

Probably not.  The adventure starts because Dorothy is wanting out of her dead-end existence, and throughout the movie Dorothy is taught a harsh lesson about women out in the world, and the final lesson and indeed her goal throughout the movie is not for her to be independent, not for her not wander the world, not to seek adventures (everything she wanted when she ran away), it's for her to just stay at home and finally that's what she wants, too.   :P
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 11:40:33 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 10:55:48 pm »
Dorothy is a naive girl who depends on men to take care of her.....

If you're going to look at it that way, then it seems to me she learns in the end that she doesn't need a man to take care of her. She always had the power to go home. She just had to gain confidence in herself to use it.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 11:10:11 pm »
Dorothy is a naive girl who depends on men to take care of her.....

Hunh, I don't look at it that way at all. Dorothy was the leader of her little group in Oz, and without her bravery and determination they'd still be hanging around wishing they had brain, heart and courage. All the male characters were missing something, including the Wizard, who was rather clueless and ineffective. Dorothy was the only complete person. They turned to her because THEY needed something, but without them she would have forged on alone until she achieved her goal.

I also don't think Aunt Em is supposed to come across as cold and callous -- I think she was supposed to be loving. But maternal figures in those days were more stern.

On the other hand, what bothers ME about it is that Dorothy is so desperate to get back to a place that, let's face it, is rather bleak.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 11:18:30 pm »
There's all kinds of different ways to interpret that movie. :)

However, it remains one of my favorites! They used to show it once a year on TV when I was little and I always looked forward to watching it. Except I remember the witch scared me. I didn't like to hear her cackle. Oh, and the flying monkeys were frightening as well.

They STILL scare me a little. :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 11:32:08 pm »
. . . what bothers ME about it is that Dorothy is so desperate to get back to a place that, let's face it, is rather bleak.

I think that place in Kansas parallels Lightning Flat in a lot of ways.  Jack was desperate to get "anywhere but Lightning Flat" according to the story.  And straying too far from the herd (the sheep, Earl) always had a danger to it.  BBM can be interpreted as a cautionary tale against caution (Ennis's) but also against being overly adventuresome, like Jack.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 11:46:08 pm »
I don't have any great insights at the moment, but I just want to say this is a terrific thread - what a unique concept to ponder!  Thank you FriendLee.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 01:24:25 am »
There's all kinds of different ways to interpret that movie. :)

I've long been interested in all the ways one can interpret TWoO, which is like America's fairy tale (as opposed to most fairy tales we're familiar with, which are European in origin). Here are a couple the many possibilities:

1) I once attended a historical conference where a professor presented a paper about TWoO as an economic parable full of symbols for economic trends and characters that were prominent at the time of its publication. In this scheme, Dorothy represented Everyman, the Scarecrow was the farmer, the Tinman was the factory worker, the yellow-brick road was the gold standard, the Emerald City was the greenback, and the Cowardly Lion was William Jennings Bryan (don't ask me the logic of that last one -- I can't remember the reasoning). I wrote about this once in connection with the big annual Judy Garland celebration in Grand Rapids, MN, Judy's hometown.

2) I once read a book called Oz. It was about Dorothy, an awkward, unhappy orphan around the turn of the 20th century, sent to live with her aunt and uncle on an incredibly bleak, grim farm on the isolated prairie in Kansas. Aunt Em was distant and emotionally unavailable. Uncle Henry started sexually abusing Dorothy. She had a school teacher named L. Frank Baum, who took pity on her and fantasized about Dorothy escaping her depressing existence by escaping to a marvelous colorful land.

These chapters alternated with chapters about young Judy Garland, her drug struggles, etc., and chapters about a guy in present time who had AIDS.

TWoO also figured into my early writing career. The very first book I ever tried to write was TWoO (I didn't realize you had to come up with a whole new book of your own; I thought you could just write what you knew, a book you were already familiar with). I remember I was so young that I spelled "of," "uv." My dad gently corrected me, and I've never misspelled it since (at least that I know uv).