Author Topic: Fan Fiction Acronyms and Shorthand - a glossary  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Fan Fiction Acronyms and Shorthand - a glossary
« on: August 01, 2006, 01:44:44 am »
Hi FanFicFolk,

There is a lingo to discussing fan fiction, and I don't know it.  Do you think you could compile a glossary?  What is AU?

Thanks from those of us not in the know,

Clarissa

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Fan Fiction Acronyms and Shorthand - a glossary
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 09:37:38 am »
Hi FanFicFolk,

There is a lingo to discussing fan fiction, and I don't know it.  Do you think you could compile a glossary?  What is AU?

Thanks from those of us not in the know,

Clarissa

AU: alternate universe. My story is AU, Elle, in that I took the original and changed the ending. Compare to canon, which is what Louise is writing with the Laramie Saga. That storys begins after the movie/story ended and the sad reality is that Jack is dead. In canon, the author tries to be very true to all elements of the original characters as presented in the story. This may be the case is in AU, too.

People often abbreviate the names of stories, too, and it can be a challenge keeping track of them. My story is ALBFS (sometimes LBFS).

Other things you will see are expressions like moving on!Ennis (or mo!Ennis), which would be a story with Ennis moving on after Jack. You may see dead!Jack, too, which would be a story in which Jack is dead (or will die). dom!Ennis describes his sexual personality (dominant). Ennis is very much dom!Ennis in the Laramie Saga and people begged and pleaded for bottom!Ennis to show up. He eventually did.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 10:14:40 am »
Also:

OC: original character (a character not in the source, but created by the fanfic author)

OTP: one true pairing (a reader or writer's favorite pairing of characters; many people have these, and arguments over what is "canon" (I find that a rather, ummm, loaded term ;) ) often boil down to whether a writer strays from the fandom's dominant OTP
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 11:50:56 am »
arguments over what is "canon" (I find that a rather, ummm, loaded term ;) ) often boil down to whether a writer strays from the fandom's dominant OTP

I must admit that the term "canon" kinds of weirds me out; it always makes me think of the Council of Nicea deciding what books should go in the Bible.  ::)  But that's just a quirk.

And yeah, 'canon' is a loaded term with some disagreements about where it begins and ends. I've seen some stories referred to as 'not canon' even though the author didn't change anything from the original; with the reasoning that, according to the speaker's POV, some character (usually Ennis, sometimes Jack) has been changed enough that the character isn't the same. 

"AU" can get into some pretty alternate universes, too. "Human Interest" and "Two Crows Joy" change the ending of the original but pretty much keep to Ennis and Jack as we know them in the story and movie. But others put Ennis and Jack on the Titanic, in Paris, Ennis as a New York cop, Jack as a slutty truck stop whore, etc., etc. 

That brings up the question as to whether these are the same characters at all, or original ones inspired by the Brokeback principals.  IMO, when stories of this type are well-written, it would sometimes be a good idea for the author to just change the names: under those circumstances the story could be published for profit without any copyright issues.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 12:08:53 pm »
You know, Marge, I have wondered that very thing (stories that are so AU the only connection to BBM are the names Ennis and Jack). The story that is taking place in Germany in 1933 (links are on this site)...I haven't read it carefully but it seems the only connection to the original are the name of the characters and the fact that Jack and Ennis have a homosexual and somewhat forbidden love affair. Why not just write that as an original story? It puzzles me.

Leslie
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 06:33:25 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 05:56:43 am »
Becuz, Leslie, Jack is very much like Jack WOULD HAVE BEEN if he had lived in 1933 Germany. germany was a haven for homosedxuals in thre '20s, and cabarets like Jack acts in were everywhere. Then came Hitler....Ennis shows flashes of the real Ennis--although, admittedly, you have to stretch to see Ennis as a guifted artist. I like "Nightfall" very much .

"Living in Transcendence" has another Jack/Ennis AU which I find fascinating. Jack and Ennis decide to stay together after Brokeback, so Ennis doesn't marry
, and Jack doesn't go to Texas for rodeoing. And...they both get drafted! It's not quite the happiest story in the world...

fanfiction

People beget; and
kisses beget, too, and tales
go on forever.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 06:02:47 am by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 12:33:07 pm »
Sorry, I just can't "buy" Ennis as a New York cop, Ennis and Jack in 1930s Europe, 1930s Chicago, as Star Trek characters, on the Titanic -- Heart of the Ocean necklace and all in one version. They can certainly be good stories; but the odd thing about it is that if the authors changed the names and, in some cases, just a few of the circumstances and they could publish the work elsewhere but on a fanfiction website. Of course, I'm assuming here that they would want to; some authors don't.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with any of these stories, just not convinced they have any connection to Brokeback other than character names. And I sure wouldn't characterize their authors as not having "one foot in reality", to quote a cyber-bitchslap I got not long ago. ;)  (Not on this forum!)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 12:35:24 pm by Marge_Innavera »

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 02:29:35 am »
Sorry, I just can't "buy" Ennis as a New York cop, Ennis and Jack in 1930s Europe, 1930s Chicago, as Star Trek characters, on the Titanic -- Heart of the Ocean necklace and all in one version. They can certainly be good stories; but the odd thing about it is that if the authors changed the names and, in some cases, just a few of the circumstances and they could publish the work elsewhere but on a fanfiction website. Of course, I'm assuming here that they would want to; some authors don't.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with any of these stories, just not convinced they have any connection to Brokeback other than character names. And I sure wouldn't characterize their authors as not having "one foot in reality", to quote a cyber-bitchslap I got not long ago. ;)  (Not on this forum!)

Now there's a new term Marge - cyber bitchslap! Love it.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 11:13:21 am »

I completely agree with you, I wouldn't want to read those stories either, I want the stories to be as close to the reality of the lives of Jack and Ennis as possible.