Author Topic: "Roar": TV series with a very young Heath  (Read 13799 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"Roar": TV series with a very young Heath
« on: May 31, 2009, 11:03:15 am »
I finally got around to putting "Roar" on my Netflix queue, and I'm glad I did.

Heath must have been 17 or 18 when this was made, but he already shows his star quality.  It's a fun, not-too-serious romp involving Conor (Heath in leather pants) as the orphaned prince attempting to unite the disparate tribes of Ireland against the Romans in 400 AD.  He's got his loyal band of friends--diverse and with good humor.  There are nasty villains to keep it interesting:  The Roman Queen Diana (Lisa Zane, sister of Billy) looks more Greek to me, and her confidant the mysterious Longinus (Sebastian Roché) almost steals the show as the 400-year-old former Roman centurion cursed because of his role in Christ's death.  The show (actually created by Shaun Cassidy) doesn't try to be historically accurate, and involves a fair amount of fantasy/mysticism.  It's been compared to Xena and Hercules (which I don't really know). 

The first four episodes, on disc 1, were entertaining, and are generally self-contained stories.  I was surprised at the level of acting, and at the gorgeous cinematography.  Occasional cheesy special effects can be forgiven.  It was filmed in Queensland, Australia. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: "Roar": TV series with a very young Heath
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 11:09:32 am »
Now I can't wait for disc 2 to arrive.  Strangely, some episodes are available on streaming, and some only on disc.  I chose to see the discs, as I didn't want to miss any continuity. 

Has anyone else seen this? 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:39:51 am »
Oh yes.  "Roar!" caught my attention back in the IMDb days, and I remember posting about how mesmerizing it was to watch young Heath sporting tight leather clothing and handling numerous phallic weapons as he dashed about in some Celtic past.  ;D

I used to love to watch "Hercules" for the same reasons.  Kevin Sorbo had the most perfect chest I'd ever seen.  But that's another topic.  ;)

Someday I may rewatch "Roar!" if it shows up on cable or appears in front of me on a DVD rack.  Since Heath's passing, though, I'm still finding it a bit hard to watch almost anything of his without periodic sadness washing over me.  He'll always be my go-to guy for sheer hunky goodness with a brain and great smile, though.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 12:07:06 pm »
I watched the whole series from netflix, it was really well done and Heath was excellent in it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 12:12:37 pm »
*sigh*

Roar was never released here or shown on TV, and it seems the same goes for the UK. I checked UK and German amazon, but all I find is the US DVD. Damn those regional codes >:(.
And of course, no netflix for German users >:(.

I feel like living under a rock :P.

injest

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:13:07 pm »

Heath as Jedi Padawan??!!!

or am I the only geek here that noticed the braid?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 01:08:23 pm »
*sigh*

Roar was never released here or shown on TV, and it seems the same goes for the UK. I checked UK and German amazon, but all I find is the US DVD. Damn those regional codes >:(.
And of course, no netflix for German users >:(.

I feel like living under a rock :P.

Chrissie, I had my DVD made region free. All I had to do was to punch in a code and that was it. It´s great cause now I can buy anything from the US that I want.

Heath really does look great in Roar...like someone pointed out earlier...those leather pants look like they were painted on..or possibly like there was some kind of oil involved

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 07:26:36 pm »
I loved Roar.  I loved the plotline, the chosen leader who is unsure of leading, his relationship with Fergus (is that the big guy's name?), Longinus and his poignant creepiness, the evil Diana and her whims, and that cute what's her name, with the perpetual quizzical expression.

As has been said, its cinematography is gorgeous, and Heath shines.  It was fairly non-sexist and non-racist too.  And I like the music pretty well.  I haven't seen it in over a year (or two?), but I can hear that flute-like tune in my head now.

Apparently, Lisa Zane (eighteen years Heath's senior!)and Heath had a serious relationship for a time too.  He liked older women.  He was smart.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 07:50:25 pm »
Apparently, Lisa Zane (eighteen years Heath's senior!)and Heath had a serious relationship for a time too.  He liked older women.  He was smart.

Yes!  I neglected to post that, but it's on the IMDb trivia.  Also, that cute whatshername, Vera Farmiga (as Caitlin), was actually married  to the creepy Longinus--Sebastian Roché from 1997-2005.  Love on the set, as ever. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 08:04:20 pm »
I used to love to watch "Hercules" for the same reasons.  Kevin Sorbo had the most perfect chest I'd ever seen.  But that's another topic.  ;)

He sure did. Though I always felt his little buddy filled out his leather pants better.  8)

I remember seeing some episodes of Roar when it was on TV. Heath was fair enough, but the show quickly turned me off. I thought it tried to do too much, or mix too much. I would have liked it more if either it was entirely "mythical," like Hercules, or else entirely historical fiction (i.e., no 400-year-old centurians). The mixture of the two genres just didn't work for me.  Shrugs.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.