Author Topic: Cowboy hats  (Read 34794 times)

mvansand76

Re: Cowboy hats
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 08:19:19 am »
Got a green straw one for the beach and a tan straw one for my boyfriend, but he hasn't worn it yet.... >:(

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 11:26:41 pm »
I've a Shady Brady type hat.  Straw.  Had it many years.  Worn it a lot more this year due to the fad that came in this year with straw cowboy hats. I'm a hat person, so I look good in it.  ;D

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 11:32:49 am »
So far the straw hats are winning!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 12:33:22 pm »
I actually own two straw ones.  One is more like an English riding hat - it's sort of pine-colored brown with a black band that ties into a bow in the back.  Very prim and proper, and it fits me perfectly.  I wore it all the time on my first trip to England - it was so blustery every day that it was the perfect thing to keep my hair from constantly blowing into my eyes (I *hate* that).  The other one is more of a cream-colored straw one with a brown, twisted band.  My Ennis hat.  It doesn't fit me quite as well as the other one, so I don't wear it as much as I'd like.  But I like the way it looks on one of my dressers.  I should really put up a coat hanging peg and hang it from there.

No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 01:21:21 pm »
I actually own two straw ones.  One is more like an English riding hat - it's sort of pine-colored brown with a black band that ties into a bow in the back.  Very prim and proper, and it fits me perfectly.  I wore it all the time on my first trip to England - it was so blustery every day that it was the perfect thing to keep my hair from constantly blowing into my eyes (I *hate* that).

What does it look like?  Is there a pic on the net/link you can find?

The other one is...My Ennis hat.  It doesn't fit me quite as well as the other one, so I don't wear it as much as I'd like.  But I like the way it looks on one of my dressers.  I should really put up a coat hanging peg and hang it from there.

Mine is hanging on the corner of a door as my cats like the feather hat band too much.  Also hanging on a door corner is my colonial tricorn, a blue silk covered Vietnamese bamboo hat, most of the rest are stacked in 3 hat boxes sitting decoratively on the floor, all my wool berets and baseball caps are in a bag in the closet, and I'm looking for a hat box for my recently acquired dressage hat.  ;D  So I'm curious as to what an English riding hat looks like.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 01:23:37 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 10:55:32 am »
Did you see the bonus feature on the Making of the movie, with Heath and Jake wearing those shower caps over their cowboy hats all the time? LOL!

Another thing, my straw version got beat up on the roller coaster ride yesterday. D'you know how I can, uh, fluff it? I was thinkin of submerging it in a horse trough, then leaving it to dry in the sun.  8)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 12:47:10 pm »
Did you see the bonus feature on the Making of the movie, with Heath and Jake wearing those shower caps over their cowboy hats all the time? LOL!

Another thing, my straw version got beat up on the roller coaster ride yesterday. D'you know how I can, uh, fluff it? I was thinkin of submerging it in a horse trough, then leaving it to dry in the sun.  8)

Heh, you said it first injest.  They're hat covers, not shower caps.  Rain/wet does ruin/warp/melt the felt of the hats.  Last time I had a felt hat was when I was in high school marching band.  We performed, rain or shine and being Texas, our uniforms had a cowboy hat as an accessory.  We weren't about to pay that much for a felt hat, then let the rain ruin it.  So, plastic covers for hats!

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 01:47:38 pm »
My husband has 'dress' hats in black, sand, grey felt and one straw; three 'everyday' hats in felt and straw; and four working hats.

Son has 'dress' hats in black and sand, one straw; and two 'everyday' hats in straw

I have 'dress' hats in forest green, red, black, sand, grey; three 'everyday' hats....

Am I the only one here that does horse shows? You gotta have different hats for your different outfits!!

these are the traditional 'cowboy' styles...we have 5,345 baseball caps (just kidding, but we got a lot!!)

also, a brief comment on 'dress' 'everyday' and work...you buy them new and when they get too worn for the show ring they get moved to 'everyday' status....when they get too stained to wear into town then they get demoted to work hats!

Rarely throw away a hat...

Wow! You sure have hats!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 09:10:48 am »
I have two cowboy hats, a black wool felt bought from Sheplers, and a straw from a local sporting goods stores. A friend who used to travel to Houston frequently on business told me I should wear the straw between Memorial Day and Labor Day--sort of like women and white shoes, I guess.  ;D I've been telling myself I want to replace the black wool with a geniune Resistol (like Jack's in the story) but somehow I haven't gotten around to it.

Also two pairs of cowboy boots, a nice understated pair of in black Justin's with with black decorative stitching, and a pair of brown Frey's.

I love the Justin's. As I said, understated (black on black), I bought them from Shepler's, feeling I was taking a huge chance ordering footwear mail-order, but out of the box, they fit me like they were made for me. The Frey's were a real "find." I got them at a sidewalk sale for five bucks. I could tell from the condition for the soles that they hadn't been worn much--and they still had a store price tag on them of $125.

Del, you ride dressage? I'm impressed. That takes a lot of skill!

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 07:08:41 pm »
Del, you ride dressage? I'm impressed. That takes a lot of skill!

Alas...never quite got to that level... :(