Author Topic: Cowboy hats  (Read 34776 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cowboy hats
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 01:57:32 pm »
What does it look like?  Is there a pic on the net/link you can find?

Not at this time.  But for you, I'll see what I can do...

This is the closest thing I can find to it.  It's almost kind of a straw fedora, and mine is about this color, a little shallower in the top part, and with a wide black gauze band that ties into a floppy bow in the back.

http://www.thebonnetstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MARTINA&click=108

I have some photos of me wearing it in Wales, actually.  Next time I have to go to Kinko's, I'll scan one onto a disk there (alas, we have no scanner here or at home) and post it if you're interested.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 07:54:11 pm »
Not at this time.  But for you, I'll see what I can do...

This is the closest thing I can find to it.  It's almost kind of a straw fedora, and mine is about this color, a little shallower in the top part, and with a wide black gauze band that ties into a floppy bow in the back.

http://www.thebonnetstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MARTINA&click=108

I have some photos of me wearing it in Wales, actually.  Next time I have to go to Kinko's, I'll scan one onto a disk there (alas, we have no scanner here or at home) and post it if you're interested.

Absolutely.  Please post pics of you wearing it if you get a chance, but don't knock yourself out.

moremojo

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 12:11:41 pm »
Funny, for a native Texan, I've never been particularly drawn to cowboy hats before, but in the wake of Brokeback Mountain, I can't get enough of them. I'm a cityboy myself, though, and have never owned a cowboy hat of my own, apart from a possible junior-sized one as a little boy (and the memory of that is so vague that I can't even vouch for its former existence). I feel too self-conscious to sport a cowboy hat on my own noggin, but love to see them on other men.

:D
Scott

moremojo

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 12:14:05 pm »
Here's a pic of me wearing my straw cowboy hat!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1157.msg62898#msg62898
That hat is very becoming on you, Lee! And very fitting for rugged, Rocky Mountain-high Colorado.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 05:18:33 pm »
Yea but it just got a little flattened when that roller coaster threw me over at Six Flags last weekend. But I still wear it anyway, it's got more character now!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 05:38:49 pm »
Yea but it just got a little flattened when that roller coaster threw me over at Six Flags last weekend. But I still wear it anyway, it's got more character now!
Were you at Six Flags Over Texas, in Arlington? That's a cool place for cowboy hats, too! (BTW, I was born in Grand Prairie, part of the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 06:05:59 pm »
Not xactly...I was at Six Flags in Denver, and I can only think of 2, possibly 3 flags that could've ever flown over Denver. But then, why kvetch? Denver has some of the best sushi bars I've ever sucked eel in.  8)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 09:51:09 pm »
I don't have a cowboy hat, but I have been thinking about getting one.

If I do, it would probably be a black cowboy hat, to match my black leather jacket.

Hey, I'm gay. We like to coordinate.   :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 10:03:23 pm »
Black is an excellent color...spend as much as you can reasonably afford...a good hat will last decades if you treat it right. Buy from a real western store, they will block it for free...never pick it up by the brim...only the crown and keep it in the box it came in...

ok! I will stop with the hat care tips!! (Can you tell I like cowboy hats?)

I sold my colored hats this year...I am 41...I am gonna just admit here that my rodeo queen days are over...*sigh*

ok I kept the dk green...LOL!!

Jess, I am three years older than you. If your rodeo queen days are over, this Hoosier queen ain't even gonna try!

There is an excellent western store here in Indiana. It is located on the southside of Terre Haute. It is called Boot City, and people come from all over the Midwest and the South to shop at it. It is huge. They sell everything western... hats, jackets, chaps, saddles... just about everything, including some fabulous cowboy/western boots. If I do get a hat, I will probably buy it there.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

moremojo

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 10:06:55 am »
Just get a nice neutral color and have it blocked by the store's expert to suit your face...you CAN'T go wrong. It will go with jeans or suits...you DO have a nice pair of boots??
Nope...don't even have boots! :-\ What kind of self-respecting Texan am I?! I might take up your suggestion, Jess; I have a friend here who tells me he would love to see me duded up in cowboy gear! ;)

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:15:30 pm by moremojo »