Author Topic: Would Ennis Commit Suicide?  (Read 39999 times)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Would Ennis Commit Suicide?
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2006, 02:10:21 pm »
In short, my guess would be that Ennis might change a lot over the years, might even find someone else but given the human psyche's resistance to change, we couldn't expect to see him at the Gay Games or becoming any kind of social butterfly.   :)

That is an understatement!

I argue, however, that Ennis becomes more isolative and bitter after Jack dies. I don’t see him making any significant changes. Ennis does recognize, however, how his own actions have caused hurt and disappointment towards the ones he has loved (when he agrees to go to Junior’s wedding).  But Ennis will always have guilt, anger and fear. He realizes, in a heartbreaking and final way, that he frittered away 20 years.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2006, 06:27:28 pm »
Sorry, I can't recall it as it was in the early days.  It was quite detailed about the plans Ennis made going up to the mountain.  It wasn't Jeff's, although I do like his story  :)  Not sure if it was A Dying Wind as I can't find that one to compare.  I'll check around a bit more and post again if I find it.  Sorry to have piqued your curiosity and not following through.

Thanks, nic. Much obliged!  :)

~J.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2006, 11:03:00 am »
I don't think Ennis woud have ever even thought of suicide. He had dealt with great loss early in his life and he was able to deal with it. He was able to count his blessings, had two daughters, and experenced the love of a lfetime. He knew how to 'stand it'.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2006, 11:53:38 pm »
IMO, I don't think Ennis would commit suicide, but I don't think he'll live to be that old either.  He does have his daughters to look forward to and maybe see both their marriages.  Perhaps, even see his grandchildres growing up, but after that, he'll slowly waste away.  After all, his other half is gone and it's a matter of time before the living half will follow. 

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2006, 11:16:49 am »
After all, his other half is gone and it's a matter of time before the living half will follow. 

Interesting analogy. It makes me sad ... but I think there is truth there!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2006, 11:36:13 am »
Experincing the love he had with Jack would sustain Ennis for the rest of his life.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2006, 08:00:54 pm »
Interesting analogy. It makes me sad ... but I think there is truth there!

It's true, many folks do die of a broken heart.  :(

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2006, 10:48:08 pm »
It's true, many folks do die of a broken heart.  :(

Yes, that's true.  Especially if they really love each other, like our boys do.  Sorry to make you sad Diane.  It makes me sad also often to the point of tears to think that, but that's how I see Ennis.  He cried everytime he sees the shirts and when he dreamt of Jack, he felt pleasure as well as sadness.  To me, he is longing to be with Jack again but needs to live to see his daughters through.  I still don't think he'll commit suicide though.

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2006, 12:24:54 pm »
I have never thought he would commit suicide.  Ennis is a strong person and he would proably see commiting suicide as a weakness.  I also feel like he would want to live on and be strong for Jack even though he is gone.  Like a tribute to him.  Do something for him in death that he could never do in life.  Accept and be free.
I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2006, 12:29:41 pm »
I have never thought he would commit suicide.  Ennis is a strong person and he would proably see commiting suicide as a weakness.  I also feel like he would want to live on and be strong for Jack even though he is gone.  Like a tribute to him.  Do something for him in death that he could never do in life.  Accept and be free.
Very well said.