Author Topic: Rearview  (Read 27050 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Rearview
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 10:03:36 am »
Hmm. I'm not sure. "Pair of deuces" is a familiar expression, but it's not inconceivable that she was playing with the words, like she does. And it certainly would describe their situation in life at that point.

My son sometimes calls shit "dookie." Maybe that's where that term comes from.

Keep up the good analysis, dontinterrupt!  :)

Offline coffeedrinkintexan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Sweet beautiful Jack, sweet beautiful Ennis
Re: Rearview
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 02:14:48 pm »
hi guys, I would like to contribute my take on the "pair of deuces" discussion. I don't know, I might be the only one to interpret it like this, bu to me a deuce=a number two= simply put, SHIT. Since hearing it for the first time in this movie, I never really questioned it, just thought Aguirre called them 'pair of deuces' to signify they are just that - shit, worthless nobodies (in his own ignorant opinion only of course!). And in the story it read "pair of deuces going nowhere", which kinda confirmed it for me that's what it meant- young people with no future, no prospects, 'going nowhere'.

I'm dying to find out what you guys think   ;D
I would agree with that. Pair of deuces is the lowest possible poker hand outside of having absolutely nothing. I absolutely think Aguirre meant it as an insult to both of them. Like, "if you two losers are looking for work...."

Pretty sad phrase, both in movie and story.
"You got a better idea?"   "I did once."