Author Topic: Rearview  (Read 26882 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Rearview
« on: August 02, 2006, 10:11:55 am »
Someone on the ABCs game pointed out that there was a pair of foam dice hanging on Aguirre's rearview mirror when he drove up to the trailer that first fateful day. And shortly after that he calls Ennis and Jack a pair of deuces going nowhere.

Then, when they were at the motel, Jack tells Ennis that he saw a big-ass pair of binoculars hanging off of Aguirre's rearview mirror when he went back seeking employment for a third summer. That's three sets of lenses in close proximity, so methinks it must mean something. Your thoughts?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

Re: Rearview
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 10:20:40 am »
Well, someone suggested that the binoculars symbolize the prying eyes of society. But I've never seen them connected to the dice and the deuces! Interesting observation, Lee, as usual.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 04:30:58 pm »
That sounds logical about the binoculars. I'm interested in cataloguing the various appearances of the rearview mirrors, because they seem to be signposts in the movie. And noting what is draped on them. This calls for a new viewing of the movie, backwards, forwards and sideways!! I'm up for it; it's been about 2 weeks since I've seen it. Let's see, the first appearance is of course when Jack shaves while catching surreptitious views of Ennis.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 08:22:49 pm »
The scene of Jack shaving and catching "surreptitious views" (quoting  Front-Ranger) of Ennis has always bothered me for this reason:

Given the location of the truck and the angle of inclination between it and Ennis's position, factor in the year of the vehicle when rearview mirrors did not have a great latitude of movement, how it is possible that Jack had such a magnificent view of Ennis?

There are no dice hanging from the rearview mirror of Aguirre's car the first time we see it, and on Jack's next visit to the trailer, the car is already in place and nothing of the front of it is visible.  Actual, the only reference to dice that I recall is when Aguirre referrs to the guys as a "pair of deuces"; the actual line is "You pair of deuces lookin' for work I suggest you get yer scranny asses in here, pronto."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 11:02:35 pm »
2robots4u: I am in complete awe of somebody who can work out the angle of Jack's mirror and figure out whether it could possibly show a reflection of Ennis. That's some amazing spatial thinking. :)  Bummer that being able to notice things like that bothers you, though, because that view of Ennis in Jack's mirror is a really cool movie shot, IMO.

About the dice/deuces -- it had never occurred to me that deuces could be related to the dice. When I heard the line, I thought of poker, not craps, and of how a "pair a deuces" is nearly the worst hand you could end up with in poker. Life dealt both boys a pretty rough hand.

(No, wait, there's worse hand, isn't there... no pairs at all.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 12:25:13 am »
Given the location of the truck and the angle of inclination between it and Ennis's position, factor in the year of the vehicle when rearview mirrors did not have a great latitude of movement, how it is possible that Jack had such a magnificent view of Ennis?

You're probably right, but unlike some of the other bloopers, I can chalk that up to filmmaker's license and excuse it.

(No, wait, there's worse hand, isn't there... no pairs at all.)

Good one, Mel. That's the hand they got dealt in the end, hunh?  :'(

What does "deuces" mean? Is it simply slang for "aces" or is there more to it? Does the fact that Aguirre refers to them as a "pair" in the very first line of dialogue hold any significance?

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 12:49:03 am »
What does "deuces" mean? Is it simply slang for "aces" or is there more to it? Does the fact that Aguirre refers to them as a "pair" in the very first line of dialogue hold any significance?
Isn't a deuce a two? So a pair of deuces is a pair of twos? Ace, deuce (trey? I've never heard slang for "three")?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/deuce

I figured that "pair of deuces" meant "pair of twos"... each one the lowest value card in poker. So cards that aren't worth much individually?

(And I don't even play cards. I, ummm, have a lousy poker face and I usually end up throwing the cards at the other people. And that's playing "Go Fish" with the three-year-old. I'm slightly better about solitaire.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 01:59:05 am »
Isn't a deuce a two? So a pair of deuces is a pair of twos?

You're right again! No wonder I always lose at poker. (And I must not know my romance languages very well, either  :laugh:)

Well, in any case, it's interesting that Jack and Ennis were already paired up in the first three words of the movie.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 02:16:22 am »
nakymaton...thanks for thinking I was mathmatically inclined, but I was actually being funny with all the math lingo.  It doesn't bother me as in not liking it, but more on the line of "hey, that's not possible. And, yes, as with all the other bloopers, I let it go.  The view is worth the bloop!  And trey is the proper term for 3.  I did confuse dice w/cards, as I don't believe I've ever heard the 2 on dice called "deuce".

Yes, "deuce" refers to the number 2 card in the deck, while "ace" refers to the 1st card (lowest value), or the highest value, depending on the game you are playing.  I think Aguirre's comment would have made more sense if he had said "pair of aces", indicating there are 2 singles equalling a pair.  

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 02:31:41 am »
I think Aguirre's comment would have made more sense if he had said "pair of aces", indicating there are 2 singles equalling a pair.   

True, but that line wouldn't be scornful enough for Aguirre.  :laugh: