Author Topic: Phew! I made it back in one piece. (Formerly "Thailand here I come!")  (Read 9287 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
So I'm off! Tonight is when I get on the plane to Bangkok. I doubt I'll have much time to post til then. I'll try to take pictures and post them here so you can all be there with me in spirit. I don't know though how much internet access I'll get while I'm there, so it may be some time before you hear from me again. I'll arrive back in LA on the 24th of August, so you'll definitely hear from me then. I'll miss my daily visit with you all.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 05:19:33 am by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Thailand here I come!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 01:24:58 pm »
Safe travels and adventures Nipith!!  :D

I wish I could take some time off right about now too!
If you get a chance, do check in once in a while to let us know how you are doing!  :)

Have a safe, safe, fun, fun trip!

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 01:32:57 pm »
Bangkok, WOW!  Have a  wonderful trip Nipth...lots of pics to share please for those of us who are armchair travelers this summer. Safe journey my friend  :-*

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 04:12:45 pm »
Have a great time, Nipith!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:19:55 pm »
 :)

Have a ball there, Nipith!

Don't let what happened in Bangkok stay in Bangkok  ;).  Send us updates and pictures.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 04:23:03 pm »
We would love to get a trip report and pics! What a great place to visit! Do U have relatives there? Can't wait to hear about it. Bon voyage!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 06:11:13 pm »
Don't let what happened in Bangkok stay in Bangkok  ;).  Send us updates and pictures.

Rowr!  Enjoy!!

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 07:39:43 pm »
Have a safe and wonderful journey, friend.  Won't be the same here without you!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 10:03:54 pm »
Nipith -

Have a wonderful time!  I want to see what wonderful pictures you'll take AND I (hope you read this before you leave) would like to know what housing prices are like there.  Just averages - thanks much.

Hugs.
LJ
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 11:00:13 pm »
Nipith!  I'll bet you can guess EXACTLY what it is *I* want from you during and/or after your trip!  ;D    That's right---   THE LURID DETAILS!   :laugh:

What?  That only happens in the Castro?  Not Thailand?  Hm-m-mmm...  We'll see.   ;)

Hope you have a safe, wonderful, memorable time, with plenty o' picture taking!

Envious Melinda

:)
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 01:58:34 am »
When I think of Thailand, I think of food. :)  The tropical fruits I had for the first time, all the vegetables cut into delicate, filigree'd shapes.  Have a beautiful time, My World Citizen Friend.  Love, Clarissa

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 11:18:30 pm »
So I am here in my birth place. It's been a couple of decades since I was here last, and it is surreal. I feel like I stepped into a time machine, because this town is exactly as I left it, just a bit more dense. The streets are the same. Although I always thought they were bigger. The people are the same, dressed the same. Even some of my cousins and aunts don't look to have aged at all. It so weird that some of the shop keepers still recognize me, even though I 13 the last time they saw me. Some greeted me as if I've never left. Old buildings have been torn down and new ones built but all still look the same; the same styles the same colors. They all look old even before they're a couple of years old.

The last few days have been all about visiting with family members that I haven't seen in a long time. It's been hectic and stressful at times. Social proprietry is very important, so coming from the US, where thing are more casual, it's a huge culture shock. My language deficiency isn't helping much either. I've embarassed myself many many many times. But oh well, they know I can laugh at myself, at least.

And yes! Elle, the fruits. OH MY GOD! The fruits that I haven't tasted in over 20 years, are amazing! tastes and smells that are like fireworks. Vivid and brilliant. Sweet and sour and aromatic. This is what I've missed so much about this country.

I wish I could post pics of my town and the amazing fruits, but I that's going to have to wait until I get back to States side. There are internet cafes all ove the place, but I hooking up pictures seems to be too complicated for my language skill.

I start traveling tomorrow to the North and then to the South before finally going back to Bangkok, so my real vacation will start tomorrow. I'll finally be able to relax and have time for myself. I'll keep you all updated as time permits.

I miss you all.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 11:43:45 pm »
Hey,

We missed you here.  Glad you have not forgotten about us.  ;D

Visiting families is a must since you haven't been back for such a long long time.  Sometimes it can be annoying tell you the truth, but what has to be done has to be done.  Sounds like you had fun at your hometown.  And your real vacation starts soon!  I look forward for more exciting updates from you about your traveling.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
Re: Phew! I made it back in one piece. (Formerly "Thailand here I come!")
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 05:24:06 am »
I landed in LAX Thursday at 9:30 pm. got back to my parents' house at around 11.

It was a good trip. Made up old connections that I'd lost and got to revisit much of my childhood. I also got to explore the country and the seaside of Thailand. It's an odd place. The mountains of Chiang Mai is lush and thick with tree and animals, and the waters of Samui are as clear and blue as you see in photos. And it's amazing how far a dollar will go. I'll give you all updates as I get my thoughts as well as my pics together.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »
Well it's lovely to see you return and sounding good & tired - satisfied from what may very well be your one-in-lifetime trip down memory lane. Can't wait to read up on your thoughts and recollections.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 03:06:11 pm »
I landed in LAX Thursday at 9:30 pm. got back to my parents' house at around 11.

It was a good trip. Made up old connections that I'd lost and got to revisit much of my childhood. I also got to explore the country and the seaside of Thailand. It's an odd place. The mountains of Chiang Mai is lush and thick with tree and animals, and the waters of Samui are as clear and blue as you see in photos. And it's amazing how far a dollar will go.

Hi Nipith,

it's so good to have you back here, we missed ya  :-* Welcome back. I thought about you yesterday, because I knew you would return exactly three weeks after my own vacation ended.

This was a trip to a totally different world and at the same time to your own past. Sure an impressive experience.

I'll give you all updates as I get my thoughts as well as my pics together.

Yey, we're looking forward to it. And we're all greedy for pics  ;D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 03:10:45 pm »
Great to see you back Nipith!  :D

As always, I am hungry for pix!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 12:13:51 am »
Good to hear from you!  Back safe and sound.  Awaiting the pics eagerly!

vkm91941

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 12:26:11 am »
Welcome back friend missed you!  Soooooo, get those pics up and tell us all about it  ;D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 11:57:31 am »
Nipith, I'm so glad you are back, and safe to boot!  Sounds like it was a super vacation/reunion, and I'm looking forward to more pics and stories, too.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 04:40:29 pm »
wow! I can't wait to see pics!
xx
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2006, 04:05:19 pm »
So I finally got the pics in order. There are lots so be patient as you let the page load. Just follow this link.

http://nipith.com/thailand06/page1.html

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 12:53:15 am »
Starbaby!

I guess I should venture out further than Chez Tremblay!

Welcome back my friend-I missed you much! Your trip sounds like it was affirming and nurturing and altogether wonderful.

I'll talk to you soon and let's get togethers before I leave for NY.

Kiss

Heathen

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 01:00:18 am »
I'm glad to see you made it back okay.

We were sad to miss you on the Performance Thread.

But I did enjoy looking in my rearview mirror and seeing, instead of "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR", which would have been what anybody was expecting, but rather "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE ACTUALLY In THAILAND". That was a little bit of a shock.

Daniel.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

vkm91941

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 02:35:14 am »
Those pictures are great Nipth!  What a beautiful place and those temples, incredible.  Thanks so much for posting them with you travel commentary.  Thailand looks amazing.  Going to have to add it to my list of places I want to go.  :D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 04:08:04 am »
love the pictures Nipth! I wanna go!
 ;D
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 10:16:14 pm »
Nipith -

Always nice to see your smiling avatar & know you are here with your reasoned responses.

Look forward to viewing the pictures - I know they will be special.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 10:50:45 pm »
Ooh, Nipith, those are great pictures.  You laid them out beautifully, too, and I loved your commentary.  ;D

I especially want to go to that gorgeous, deserted beach.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 03:17:31 am »
Wow, I'm impressed. Your pictures are awesome. I like especially the assembled round views.
And thanks to your commentaries, we even know what we see  :)

It really is a whole different world. Foreign and exotic.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW: I don't get the whole "outdoor-shower-thingie". I've seen it mentioned over at the person-below-me-thread, I read somewhere else about it and now you mentioned it, too. What's so special or desirable about an outdoor shower? My connotation to outdoor showers is the opposite to luxury, for me it means cheap camping sites. Better (more expansive) camping sites have proper houses to shower in.
Seems to me the American view towards putdoor showers is just the opposite: outdoor showers are a luxury good.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 03:34:44 am »
I'm not sure either why outdoor showers are special. They're meant to be sexy? I guess it's the whole idea of being one with nature? The one in my bungalow is inside a little courtyard with lots of tropical plants and flowers. Even the bath tub has a big window right next to it, opening up to the courtyard, so it feels like you're bathing outdoors.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:27:44 pm by starboardlight »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 03:46:49 am »
Nipith, you are a wonderful photographer (I'll never forget that you made Alcatraz look like an italian villa).  I love the composite panoramas.  Thank you so much for sharing with us.  Where to next?  Elle