Author Topic: "Land of the Lost" star comes out of the closet...  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
"Land of the Lost" star comes out of the closet...
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:53:09 pm »
If you grew up in the 1970's watching Saturday morning cartoons (didn't everybody watch cartoons?), you probably remember "Land of the Lost."  It turns out that the character who played the teenage son has recently come out. I always thought he was cute.  ;) The tv series is being made into a movie scheduled for release in the near future.

"EXCLUSIVE! Wesley Eure of TV's "Land of the Lost" Comes Out
by Brent Hartinger
June 4, 2009

For many gay and bisexual men of a certain age, the first inkling that they weren’t like other boys came on Saturday mornings from 1974 to 1976, in the form of a television show called The Land of the Lost. The show, about a father and his two children who were stranded in a mysterious land of dinosaurs, also featured vicious, but curiously slow-moving reptilian humanoids called Sleestak. Now the classic kids’ program by Sid and Marty Krofft, the producers of H.R. Pufnstuf and Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, has even been made into a feature film starring Will Ferrell, opening this Friday.

But it wasn’t just the gloriously campy-even-at-the-time nature of the show itself that appealed to gay boys. It was also the fact that it featured the role of Will, the Marshall’s handsome teenage son, played by an actor billed only as “Wesley,” but whose full name is Wesley Eure.

A major teen idol at the time, Eure eventually found his way out of the time vortex that was the Land of the Lost, appearing as Michael Horton on the NBC soap opera Days of Our Lives for almost ten years (several of them while simultaneously filming Land of the Lost), and then moving onto to hosting Finders Keepers, a children’s game show on Nickelodeon

Eure still works in children’s entertainment, having created the animated PBS series Dragon Tales and authored a number of children’s books, including The Red Wings of Christmas, which was almost turned into an animated Disney movie in the 1990s.

And all those gay and bisexual boys who had their first crushes on Will Marshall? It turns out that the actor playing him had something in common with them: he was gay too, something the actor is publicly talking about for the first time in this exclusive AfterElton.com interview.

The story of Eure’s life – being cast to replace David Cassidy on The Partridge Family right before the show was canceled, for example – has always been interesting. But now that he’s opening up about being gay, his story also includes the stuff of even the richest of memoirs: his 70s love affair with Richard Chamberlain, his behind-the-scenes firing from Days of Our Lives, his relationship with some of the most famous closeted gay men in the Hollywood, and his touching thoughts on being a closeted teen heartthrob..."

For the rest of this lenghty article and photos of Wesley Eure, here is the link

http://www.afterelton.com/people/2009/6/wesleyeure?page=0%2C1

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: "Land of the Lost" star comes out of the closet...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:29:55 pm »
I remember Will from Land of the Lost! I loved that show. And I DEFINATELY loved watching him! He was gorgeous! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:21:26 am »
You can watch him today on the SciFi channel as they have a Land of the Lost marathon. 

http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?search_text=land_of_the

Gawd the special effects were terrible.  Watched it a little bit this morning. Wesley was born in 1951 and Land of the Lost of the Lost first aired in 1974 so he was a bit older then a teenager. I  always thought he was a better looking version of "Greg Brady."  ;)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:37:18 pm »
Gawd the special effects were terrible.  Watched it a little bit this morning. Wesley was born in 1951 and Land of the Lost of the Lost first aired in 1974 so he was a bit older then a teenager. I  always thought he was a better looking version of "Greg Brady."  ;)

Good description!

Wesley Eure

Greg Brady (Barry Williams)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 02:09:19 pm »
Whoa!!!! :D :D :D :D ;D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:27:01 pm »
Land of the Lost is on right now, on Sci-fi!! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.