Author Topic: "Were The World Mine" on DVD June 9  (Read 8117 times)

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
"Were The World Mine" on DVD June 9
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:04:49 pm »

Were the World Mine

Has anyone seen this?  The reviews I've read are mostly quite good.  I've put it in my Netflix queue for next week.  You can find trailers on Youtube.

Here's a plot summary from IMDb:

"If you had a love-potion, who would you make fall madly in love with you? Timothy, prone to escaping his dismal high school reality through dazzling musical daydreams, gets to answer that question in a very real way. After his eccentric teacher casts him as Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream, he stumbles upon a recipe hidden within the script to create the play's magical, purple love-pansy. Armed with the pansy, Timothy's fading spirit soars as he puckishly imposes a new reality by turning much of his narrow-minded town gay, beginning with the rugby-jock of his dreams. Ensnaring family, friends and enemies in this heart-wrenching chaos, Timothy forces them to walk a mile in his musical shoes. The course of true love never did run smooth, but by the end of this moving musical comedy of errors based on director Tom Gustafson's prolific award-winning short film, Fairies, the bumpy ride comes to a heartfelt conclusion. With vibrant imagery, a first-rate ensemble cast and innovative music rivaling the best of pop/ rock and contemporary Broadway, Were the World Mine attempts to push modern gay cinema and musical film beyond expectation. Written by Anonymous"

This is from Amazon:

"Armed with a magical love potion and empowered by dazzling musical fantasies, struggling teen Timothy (dreamy Tanner Cohen, As the World Turns) turns his narrow-minded town gay and captures Jonathon (buff Nathaniel David Becker), the rugby jock of his dreams.

Also starring Wendy Robie (Twin Peaks), Broadway star Judy McLane (Mamma Mia), Zelda Williams (House of D and daughter of Robin Williams), and Jill Larson (Opal on All My Children), Were the World Mine uses vibrant imagery, a first-rate cast, and innovative music to push modern gay cinema and musical film beyond expectation.

Director/writer/producer Tom Gustafson brings us his feature directorial debut in Were the World Mine. This critically acclaimed, multi-award winning film about the truth of love was inspired by his award-winning musical short Fairies, which has screened in over 75 International film festivals."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: "Were The World Mine" on DVD June 9
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:10:12 pm »
Yes!  There is another thread somewhere, concerning the NY film festival, I think.  I saw it last year at the Provincetown film festival and loved it.  It played in a few art houses around the country. 

Thanks for the DVD announcement, Bob. 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sH-ro9JkG8[/youtube]

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:15:30 pm »
Thanks for the information. It is a truly wonderful movie, I am going to order my copy now.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:19:27 pm »
 ;)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC_Q44P8_m4[/youtube]

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 01:21:17 pm »

Thanks for posting the Youtube link, Paul!  I think there's an extended trailer somewhere too.  It looks like a great film.

Hi Truman!  I actually ordered it from Amazon, but Netflix will have it in my mailbox on Tuesday, so I can watch it when I get home from work.  Break out the popcorn!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 01:25:05 pm »
Bob, after you've seen it, please come back and post your comments.

I love to listen to the soundtrack, too.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:33:40 pm »
Offline Chuck and I saw this last fall and enjoyed it very much. If you like coming of age stories with a dose of Shakespeare mixed in, you will go for this!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 01:35:39 pm »
Bob, after you've seen it, please come back and post your comments.

I love to listen to the soundtrack, too.

I ordered the soundtrack too.  Yesterday I called music stores in the area, but no one carried it, so I have to wait for that too.  Looking forward to it.

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 08:57:37 am »
Milk goes back to Netflix on Monday (I guess I've watched it enough) and I've added this to my queue. It looks like fun.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 10:31:03 pm »
I have my copy, got it a couple of weeks ago now and have watched it several times. Originally I saw it with Paul at the PFF last year. I still love it.