Author Topic: Rewatching movies from our pasts -- still good?  (Read 41060 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Rewatching movies from our pasts -- still good?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 11:16:34 pm »
In anticipation of the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 a friend watched the original when it came on last week or so.  As little kids watching it on TV we both remembered it as darkly funny and highly suspenseful.  He said this time it was just so-so.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 11:17:16 pm »
What are everyone's favorite Robert Redford movies?  I love Sneakers, Three Days of the Condor, and Spy Game.  I'm not saying they are his best, but they are fun to watch.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 12:48:09 am »
Clarissa, yes I've seen Upside of Anger and No Way Out many times.  Loved the true emotions in UOA and the incredible suspense and, of course, georgeness of our boy KC in NWO.  Did you see him in two his earliest films -- Fandango, and American Flyers?

Fave RR movies for me and my top four fave movies ever, in order:
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid -- how can you go wrong with Robert and Paul, and dusty boots and chaps
Jeremiah Johnson -- sad, but probably realistic of the timeframe in the Old West
Out of Africa -- the scene where he's walking up to embrace Meryl Streep on the porch, and the camera pans in closer and closer
Electric Horseman -- hilarious and genuine, chemistry with Jane Fonda (after they did Barefoot in the Park in late 60's) was palpable and lovely to watch

You and I should get together and have an RR/KC filmfest for a week, whatcha think?  You don't have anything better to do, do ya?  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:27:29 pm by Mandy21 »
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 09:00:11 am »
Speaking of KC AND KK, anyone see Silverado? I saw that when it came out and loved it. Then it showed up on TV maybe a year ago and I lost interest after the first half hour or so.

On the other hand, speaking of RR, my son and I rented Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid not long ago and we both loved it. That one has held up very, very well.

Now I've been trying to rent The Sting with no long. It's on Blockbuster's "very long wait" list. I wonder if that's just a euphemism for "We don't actually own a copy."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 09:33:05 am »

Lee, I loved "Local Hero" also.  Watched that when I little kid first time, when I was massively in love with all things Scottish, as I still am all these years later.  That's such an old flick, I doubt you'll find it anywhere except maybe to buy it on E-Bay or used on Amazon.

Hey! Me and Peter Riegert, for two, don't appreciate that! The movie came out in 1983, later than a lot of the other films we're discussing here! But thank yew for mentioning it with fondness!!

I could go for a RR/KC film festival...yeah!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 11:38:27 pm »

Speaking of KC AND KK, anyone see Silverado?

No, not yet, but Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote and directed it, also wrote and directed one of my favorite movies ever, Grand Canyon, as well as Mumford, which I watched again recently and really enjoyed.

Who can name another movie that has KC and KK in it?  Hint - it's sort of a trick question.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 12:10:00 am »

Who can name another movie that has KC and KK in it?  Hint - it's sort of a trick question.

The Big Chill--Kevin Costner's character got left on the kutting room floor.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 02:06:46 am »
The Big Chill--Kevin Costner's character got left on the kutting room floor.

We have a winner!  But you do see bits of him as he is being dressed for his funeral.

:)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 10:11:17 am »
I always thought KC would have been a bit out of place in that movie, anyway. The characters were all supposed to be all college classmates, right, reunited by their friend's death. But all of the other actors seemed older than KC. And in fact (thank you, IMDb!), all of the other "classmates" were born in the late '40s, except Jeff Goldblum, 1952. Whereas KC was born in 1955.

By the way, also according to IMDb, Lawrence Kasdan has an "untitled Big Chill remake" in development. I wonder if that will come to pass. Doesn't sound like a great idea, though I would like to see a BC sequel, with the characters now 60ish.

I see that LD wrote another long-ago favorite, Body Heat. I've been curious about how I'd like that and Romancing the Stone if I watched them now.

But what if my fond memories are tarnished? Maybe sometimes it's better not to rewatch movies you once loved. What do you all think?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 09:49:37 pm »
Movies from my past, huh?

I always watch "Grease", and "Breakfast Club" each time they come on.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!