Author Topic: Rewatching movies from our pasts -- still good?  (Read 41077 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Rewatching movies from our pasts -- still good?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 07:33:17 am »
Yeah, I think "Breakfast Club" has held up well~~even with their extremely 80's wardrobe (it was 80's, wasn't it). I like that the action takes place over the course of just one Saturday.

"Jaws" was very terrifying to me when I saw it at the theater in the 70's. I mean~~VERY terrifying. So, I got a copy last year and told my niece--we are going to watch this together: it's going to scare you silly!! Well, she was bored and she wasn't scared. LOL. The shark was pretty unreal looking and the special effects....well, you know. The special effects now are so much more sophisticated, I guess. I wasn't too scared either.  :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 08:27:50 am »
Hiya Shas!

Yes, it was the 80s.

and isn't it funny that films that scared the crap out of us just don't affect the next generation?

I remember my mom making us watch a film that scared the crap out of her, called "Trilogy Of Terror" staring Karen Black.

My brothers and I thought it was hysterical.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 08:40:17 am »
Hmmm....did I see that? Did it have a little crazy wild doll guy with a knife who jumped out from under furniture?  :o (Not talking about Chucky--it was a cannibal wild guy.)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 08:50:46 am »

Scared the poop out of me too!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 04:01:35 pm »
It's partly subjective, yes. But for instance, the reason Raiders didn't age well, for me, was that a lot of its initial appeal came from its snappy pace and nonstop action, because when the movie first came out those things were novelties. That was around the time when movies were still transitioning from '70s-style character dramas to flashy, comic-book, special-effects spectaculars.

But now the pace of action flicks has picked up SO much -- too much, one might argue, but still -- that Raiders no longer seems novel and original. And a movie whose entertainment value lies mostly in its pacing and thrills can no longer afford long talky scenes that drag a bit, which, surprisingly, Raiders has.

So, this past Sunday night in Denver, I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark (now retitled Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, for the sake of the boxed set, I guess, so its title parallels the titles of the sequels) with Edelmar, FRont Ranger, and Chuck (the offline one). I hadn't seen the film for years. I'm happy to report that I still find it just as good as the day it was released. Nothing talky or draggy about it.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 04:30:27 pm »
So, this past Sunday night in Denver, I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark (now retitled Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, for the sake of the boxed set, I guess, so its title parallels the titles of the sequels) with Edelmar, FRont Ranger, and Chuck (the offline one). I hadn't seen the film for years. I'm happy to report that I still find it just as good as the day it was released. Nothing talky or draggy about it.  ;D

Glad you enjoyed it!  :D

Have you seen the new one, from a year or two ago? I hated that one, but maybe it's just me.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 06:33:31 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it!  :D

Have you seen the new one, from a year or two ago? I hated that one, but maybe it's just me.

Nope. Last "Indy film"  ;D I saw was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which I actually didn't much like, even though it had Sean Connery.

For that matter, even though I generally liked Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom, for me the series jumped the shark with the "pull the heart out of the chest" business. Considering the supernatural climax to Raiders, I even laugh at myself that they lost me with the "heart business" because I found it implausible!  :laugh:  I guess I can "buy" the climax to Raiders but not the "heart business" in "TOD" because I was raised Christian-religious, so the stories of the power of the Ark of the Covenant are within my frame of reference. At least, that's the only explanation I've been able to come up with for why I'm OK with the climax to Raiders but annoyed by the "heart business" in "TOD."

And I haven't seen a Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. Lucas lost me when he made Luke and Leia siblings and Darth Vader their father.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 02:59:16 am »
Hmmm....did I see that? Did it have a little crazy wild doll guy with a knife who jumped out from under furniture?  :o (Not talking about Chucky--it was a cannibal wild guy.)

Little zuni doll.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 03:46:54 am »
Chuck is really on the ball.  See how he answered Shasta's question...which she posted over three months ago.   ::)   :laugh:   :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 06:33:56 pm »
I just got around to catching up with this thread, and this wonderful review by Ellemeno leaped out at me.

I just rewatched The Anniversary Party last night.  I love that movie.  And I understand new things about it as I mature (for example, the first couple of times I saw it, I completely missed the unspoken, but obvious gay relationship in the movie).  It was written AND directed by Jennifer Jason Leigh AND Alan Cumming.  AND they star in it, as a married couple who are hosting a party for their 6th wedding anniversary.  As the movie unfolds, we discover that although they are hosting this party to celebrate their love and commitment to each other, they only just got back together 5 months ago, after a serious break up. . . Kevin Kline, his real-life wife Phoebe Cates, and their two real-life kids play a slightly tweaked version of their real family.  I love the Kevin Kline character - and I applaud Kevin Kline for the self-mocking he does in the role.  ... As the movie unfolds, we discover who knows what about each other, who is falling apart, who is actually happy.  The movie starts as they wake up the morning of the party, and ends as they wake up the day after the party.  What happens in between is significant for every person in the movie, each for their own reasons.  It's very, very well-written, and very, very cool. . . http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0254099/

Sounds a little like a mash-up of two movies I've seen recently, It's Complicated and Mrs. Dalloway! This is one I have to see! But right now, I'm watching Local Hero, which we started talking about earlier on this thread and then got distracted talking about Robert Redford, et al. (Understandable enuff!) Mandy, I found it on Amazon, and didn't have to buy a used copy!! It's about a young hotshot oil executive who gets sent from Houston to a small town in Scotland to negotiate a deal. This movie's not for everyone. It's a comedy but much of the humor is so subtle that it could be yawn-producing for many. And there's not much action and not even much plot. I just told you about most of the plot two sentences back! What the movie does have is a young aimless man as the central character, another young man who accompanies him in his work and befriends him, a barnyard animal that helps the two bond, a couple of enigmatic women who are their love interests, a storekeeper who one of the women is married to, a crazy old man, some spectacular rugged scenery, lonely scenes at night, a wonderful soundtrack...hey, wait a minute, does all this sound familiar??  8)
"chewing gum and duct tape"