Author Topic: Rewatching movies from our pasts -- still good?  (Read 41391 times)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Rewatching movies from our pasts -- still good?
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 07:35:32 pm »
This is one I have to see! But right now, I'm watching Local Hero, which we started talking about earlier on this thread and then got distracted talking about Robert Redford, et al. (Understandable enuff!) Mandy, I found it on Amazon, and didn't have to buy a used copy!! It's about a young hotshot oil executive who gets sent from Houston to a small town in Scotland to negotiate a deal. This movie's not for everyone. It's a comedy but much of the humor is so subtle that it could be yawn-producing for many. And there's not much action and not even much plot. I just told you about most of the plot two sentences back! What the movie does have is a young aimless man as the central character, another young man who accompanies him in his work and befriends him, a barnyard animal that helps the two bond, a couple of enigmatic women who are their love interests, a storekeeper who one of the women is married to, a crazy old man, some spectacular rugged scenery, lonely scenes at night, a wonderful soundtrack...hey, wait a minute, does all this sound familiar??  8)

Lee, I just love love LOVE the way you just analogized Local Hero to BBM.  Even though I've seen LH about 20 times and BBM about 300 times, I never would have thought of that comparison.  Could you BE any more clever?

Thanks for reinvigorating this thread.

P.S.  You forgot to mention the scientist mermaid.   :o
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 09:07:32 pm »
... a couple of enigmatic women who are their love interests...

I did mention her, Mandy!! Thank you for your compliment...I see Brokieisms in everything I watch or read!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 09:47:22 pm »
"Enigmatic", yes.  That sums them up entirely.  Both of them definitely were.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 04:48:48 am »
The most outstanding music I have ever heard, is the instrumental "Coming Home" which is from Local Hero.

The Dire Straits version played regularly on our stereo and int he car.....definately my favourite music/song ever.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 12:50:09 pm »
Thanks for that, Sue.  I'll have to pick up the video at my library again, now, cause I never noticed the music.  I was way too enamored of the mind-bogglingly beautiful Scottish landscape to notice much else.  Hell, I think it took me about 5 viewings before I even noticed what the actors were saying.     :D
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 12:54:41 pm »
Thanks for that, Sue.  I'll have to pick up the video at my library again, now, cause I never noticed the music.  I was way too enamored of the mind-bogglingly beautiful Scottish landscape to notice much else.  Hell, I think it took me about 5 viewings before I even noticed what the actors were saying.     :D

I agree with you there! Last night I was watching this movie and I hit the replay button when I got to the meteor shower part, and then again when the aurora borealis was the star!! It was mystical!

As far as the soundtrack is concerned, I suggest purchasing the CD Screenplaying by Mark Knopfler. It contains the soundtrack for Local Hero and The Princess Bride, as well as two other movies. I always carry it with me in my car for when I need soothing or inspiration!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 10:07:04 pm »
I hope I won't be pilloried if I talk just a little more about Local Hero:

Instead of Chilean sheep, there is a Russian trawler. Instead of coyotes, there are seals that eat the salmon.

One of the men gives Marina a footrub, only to find out something very strange about her!

There’s even a harmonica…a very large one. Actually an accordion!!

At the very end, Mac looks at snapshots he’s pinned up of Scotland, and then gazes out the window at downtown Houston.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:03 am »
Ha ha ha!  Lee, I am soooooo going to watch this movie in a WHOLE new light when I pick it up at the library manana.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 04:04:13 pm »
Lee, I watched this again this weekend, and although it was very difficult, I tried to concentrate specifically on the music.  I'm not sure which scene "Coming Home" is played in?  The only song, and it only lasted a few seconds, that really struck me was when they were driving from Aberdeen to the village and the mist came up, and they had to stop.  Also the song during the Aurora Borealis.  But other than those two, I didn't find anything special.  Am I missing something?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:10 pm »
It's true that only snippets of the music appear in the movie, except for a few times, like the instance you mention where they find the bunny. But also when Gordon plays the accordion, that is a longer song, and of course at the end, when the music comes up as Mac gazes out at downtown Houston, and the credits begin. To really appreciate the music, you need to listen to the soundtrack. According to imdb, the soundtrack made more money than the movie did!!