Author Topic: Rewatching movies from our pasts -- still good?  (Read 41059 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Rewatching movies from our pasts -- still good?
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2010, 11:41:20 pm »
I'm not a fan of any of those movies, so no offense taken! Now, I couldn't talk you into seeing a little-known film called Local Hero, could I??   ::)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2010, 02:44:02 pm »
Here's one that's never gonna grow old, or stale, or whatever: To Kill a Mockingbird. Saw it again last night on Turner Classics, and it just gets better 'n' better each time I see it.

Atticus Finch has got to have been the greatest role of Gregory Peck's distinguished career.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2010, 06:05:31 pm »
I'd agree on that one, Jeff.  A single dad was pretty much unbeknownst at that time, which made him appear all the braver and wiser.  Plus he was so dad-gummed tall, how could you not respect him??
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2010, 06:08:33 pm »
I'd agree on that one, Jeff.  A single dad was pretty much unbeknownst at that time, which made him appear all the braver and wiser.  Plus he was so dad-gummed tall, how could you not respect him??

Maybe eventually Atticus married that nice young lady who lived across the street. Jem and Scout needed a mother.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline zephaniah

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2010, 01:50:42 pm »
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - the beastly kids get their just desserts...   :D , and love wins!!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2010, 02:26:38 pm »
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - the beastly kids get their just desserts...   :D , and love wins!!!

No offense, but it's actually "just deserts." OTOH, "just desserts" (especially if they involve chocolate) may be appropriate for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  :)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/just_deserts

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2010, 09:26:36 pm »
Even as I type this I am watching The Magnificent Seven on AMC. Truly a great Western, released 50 years ago this year. (Fifty years?  :o )

And Elmer Bernstein's theme for the film is also truly one of the great movie themes.  :)

Offline zephaniah

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2010, 03:25:42 pm »
No offense, but it's actually "just deserts." OTOH, "just desserts" (especially if they involve chocolate) may be appropriate for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  :)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/just_deserts

The pun was intended, but 'deserts' would a been good enough for the little bahstids darlins...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2010, 04:01:27 pm »
I'm not a fan of any of those movies, so no offense taken! Now, I couldn't talk you into seeing a little-known film called Local Hero, could I??   ::)
Burt Lancaster? great movie if that is the one I am thinking of.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2010, 09:30:42 pm »
Yup, one of his last movies.  :D
"chewing gum and duct tape"