Author Topic: What am I doing up at this hour?  (Read 5622 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
What am I doing up at this hour?
« on: June 07, 2009, 04:58:06 am »
This is a thread for people who look at the clock and think, OMG, why am I still up?

In my earlier Brokie days, I used to do that almost on a nightly basis. I was so obsessed, and had little need of sleep. I often found myself awake and posting at 3 and 4 in the morning, no problem.

These days, I am usually in bed by midnight.

But then there's tonight! Why am I up at 3:55 a.m.??!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: What am I doing up at this hour?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:43:11 am »

Because you can? Because the internet is open 24/7? Because members on BM come from all times zones and there's (almost) always someone else online and movement in threads?

"Just read why X posted, then I'll go to bed."
"I'll answer to X's post quickly, then shut the computer down."
"Just have a quick last glance to my emails and the forum, before going to bed, only to see if something interesting/important came up the last few hours."

... and so forth

Sounds familiar?

The last of the above examples hit me badly last year on the very late evening of January 22nd.  :(

Anyway, as long as it is an exception for you to be online at 3:55am - why not?
And yes, I also remember the old times when I barely was able to get away from the BBM community at any given time, those first months. Talk about obsessed ::) ;D.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:34:53 am »
My personal illogical theory is that if I don't go to bed, tomorrow won't come. Of course, it still does come and is that much more painful.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 01:46:01 pm »
My personal illogical theory is that if I don't go to bed, tomorrow won't come. Of course, it still does come and is that much more painful.

Ain't that the truth!!

I fondly remember those early days, chatting away far into the night, usually with my chatbuddy Chris (he "died", probably thinking that's the only way he could get out of those late-nite chats!). These days, when I'm awake at that hour of the morning, I usually hit myself in the head and say, "D'oh! I should have ordered decaf!!"
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 02:07:02 pm »
I've never been much of a night owl. But these days it is possible for me to be awake at 3.55 am but that just means that I can't sleep anymore.  :-\ I count myself lucky if I can sleep till 5 am these days. I used to be a good sleeper and don't know what changed. Of course, having slept only about 5 or 6 hours leaves me exhausted during the day and by 11 pm I usually fall asleep on the couch. (Do I sound old, or what?  ;D)

I've actually talked to my doctor about my lack of sleep. Her answer was 'Well, I can't prescribe you sleeping pills, now can I?'. 'Of course you can't', I said. Us Belgians are taking enough sleeping pills as it is without me becoming addicted (I don't think any other European nation is more addicted than we are  :o). She advised me to work out more. I'm trying to follow her advice but I haven't noticed much progress.

Anyway, I've often debated whether or not I should get out of bed instead of just lying there tossing and turning. I've thought of loggin on to bettermost a lot. But maybe turning on the computer of watching tv isn't a good idea. I feel like I will definitely be too awake and won't be able to go to bed again.

:-\

This is a thread for people who look at the clock and think, OMG, why am I still up?

In my earlier Brokie days, I used to do that almost on a nightly basis. I was so obsessed, and had little need of sleep. I often found myself awake and posting at 3 and 4 in the morning, no problem.

These days, I am usually in bed by midnight.

Did you have fun?  :D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 02:08:40 pm »
What a coincidence to find this thread this morning.....because here I am at 3.30 AM.....doint exactly what everyone else here does at this time of the morning.

I went to sleep at 5 oclock yesterday afternoon,in front of the TV,  woke up at 8oclock and crawled into bed, so I had 9 hours sleep.  Lay in bed for a while, trying to get back to sleep, but knew I had enough, and knew also, that I could get up and make a cup of tea and log in here, and find plenty to keep me occupied.

Isn't the internet great, when you are done sleeping? If I cant find anything in here, I can always log into the poker site I frequent, and know I can play poker and chat to someone in there.

It sure beats, tossing and turning in bed, thats for sure.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 02:29:06 pm »
Man, funny this thread should start today!  Looks like many of us are in the same boat.  Something in the air?

Last night was my husband's 'party night' because he'd done a lot of recording work yesterday and has today off.  So at 1:20am he's like, "let's watch a movie"!  Didn't get to bed until 4.
 :P

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 02:30:53 pm »
Bel, I'm sorry to hear about the insomnia thing!  I've experienced that a lot; it totally sucks.

There are a lot of herbal remedies that work pretty well.  Available at health-food stores, at least in the U.S.  FWIW...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 03:36:08 pm »
Fabienne - you need to get uut in the fresh air on your horse more! Fresh air and exercise always tire me out!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 03:39:30 pm »
Warm milk.

If I'm up at that time--it's usually to let the dogs out.  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 03:50:52 pm »
aww, thank you for all the suggestions.  :-*

I got on my exercise bike for half an hour this afternoon and did some tummy exercises afterwards. I'll try to keep this up, who knows, maybe I will sleep better.

:)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 03:52:22 pm »

That's it. I think I have trouble with transitions. When I'm up, I want to stay up. And when I'm in bed, I want to stay there.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 03:56:53 pm »
Camomille Tea, is a great relaxer and can help you sleep.

Says me, who first posted on here at 3.30am and it is now 6am........

I just had ordinary tea, when I woke up.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 04:00:26 pm »
This is a great topic for a thread!  I think most of these suggestions are spot on for me.  I have lots of online business to attend to (as Chrissi suggests) so I often find myself up until around 1 am on worknights (which, is a habit I really want to break since I think it's really wearing on me now to have such little sleep routinely).  By online "business" I mean... Facebook stuff, BetterMost stuff, email and fanfic... all of these things end up taking hours almost every night and to get through all the stuff I want to check in on, sleep gets sacrificed.

I also agree with the idea of somehow making tomorrow not come so quickly by staying up late.  It's an interesting psychological phenomenon, but it sounds right to me too in terms of my experience.

And, I also think hanging out online too long most nights is a way to mask insomnia.  In grad school I had really bad insomnia.  I used to start in on dissertation work after Conan O'Brien finished many evenings... so I would often be up almost all night working... and then I'd sleep a lot of the day.  I have a much better time staying asleep than falling asleep.  My ideal sleeping hours are morning hours usually... so getting up early for a normal work day is very hard for me.  Essentially I think I'm very naturally a night owl when left to my own devices and my own self-determined schedule (which I had in grad school... a self determined schedule).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 04:04:59 pm »
Camomille Tea, is a great relaxer and can help you sleep.

Says me, who first posted on here at 3.30am and it is now 6am........

I just had ordinary tea, when I woke up.

tsk, tsk, tsk  ;D

6 am? It's still 'yesterday' over here, 10 pm to be precise. And look, I'm still awake.  :)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 04:14:06 pm »

tsk, tsk, tsk  ;D

6 am? It's still 'yesterday' over here, 10 pm to be precise. And look, I'm still awake.  :)

Well, the sun is just coming up here on a public holiday Monday here. I've got nothing planned for the day, so if i go back to bed later, it wont matter.