Author Topic: This isn't exactly "Woman Today," thank God and Betty Friedan  (Read 3724 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Apparently this is an actual article from a 1955 magazine (a friend emailed it to me).

My favorite: "Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him." Who knew 1950s women's magazines dealt so frankly with straight men's sexual fantasies?

My least favorite: Tie between "Remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours" and "You have no right to question him."

My overall reaction: Thank you thank you thank you, Betty Friedan.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: This isn't exactly "Woman Today," thank God and Betty Friedan
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 06:50:23 pm »
"Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him." Who knew 1950s women's magazines dealt so frankly with straight men's sexual fantasies?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 08:27:44 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:  Yeah, I've seen this article before and I remember that line especially. 

The "guide" seems so preposterous that it reads like a satire now, but I get a little nauseous knowing that they were completey serious when they wrote:

"Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night ...."  and

"Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity.   Remember, he is the master of the house, and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness.  You have no right to question him."

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 11:02:02 pm »
Yeah, Alma going "what about my job?" at the grocery store was downright revolutionary!  She's more badass than we thought...