Author Topic: "Sharp moments"  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
"Sharp moments"
« on: August 03, 2006, 02:10:59 am »
My partner has bought us the DVD and we're watching it piecemeal (my third viewing). Something that strikes me this time is what I call the "sharp moments" when Aquirre and when Alma see the two of them together. Maybe also Jack and the clown: in each case someone detects their gayness and reacts negatively. Ennis telling Jack about seeing Earl, too. Maybe seeing is the commen element. I'll look out for them from here on and edit this for the later ones.

I don't see any cinematagraphic or musical cues at these points, but I can't help feeling they're somehow accented in the movie. Pacing?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: "Sharp moments"
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 01:25:15 pm »
There's a "sharp moment," I think, when Mrs. Twist picks up on Ennis's pain at John Twist's declaration that another man was going to come up to Lightning Flat with Jack that spring.  In this case, though, she reacts with understanding rather than negativity.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 02:06:27 pm »
There's a "sharp moment," I think, when Mrs. Twist picks up on Ennis's pain at John Twist's declaration that another man was going to come up to Lightning Flat with Jack that spring.  In this case, though, she reacts with understanding rather than negativity.
She does indeed counteract her husband's callousness here, acting as buffer to Mr. Twist's icy contempt. It's interesting how she and Mr. Twist do not exchange words in this sequence--both always address Ennis, while remaining conscious of the other's presence. Ennis thus gets a dose of sullen contempt and nurturing understanding, at alternating moments within the same scene.

It's also remarkable how the filmmakers communicate the essence of these hardened ranch people's lives within a very few minutes, just like we see Ennis's entire history written on his face in the film's closing moments. These are touches of cinematic brilliance.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 05:00:06 am »
I think another is when Lureen realises who Ennis is on the phone. You can almost see her thinking, "Oh, how nice, a friend of Jack's" then "Oh. THAT friend."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 10:59:13 am »
I think another is when Lureen realises who Ennis is on the phone. You can almost see her thinking, "Oh, how nice, a friend of Jack's" then "Oh. THAT friend."

A sharp stab indeed for poor Lu-lu.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 03:06:56 pm »
She does indeed counteract her husband's callousness here, acting as buffer to Mr. Twist's icy contempt.

I've discussed this elsewhere, but I am always amazed that, though Mr. Twist does show icy contempt, it does not seem to be a reaction to Ennis and Jack's gayness. Rather, he's mad at Ennis for letting Jack down, and/or Jack for not following through on his plan to help out at the ranch. I think this is intended to show Ennis discovering that not everyone reacts as negatively to homosexuality as he assumes they do.

Ennis: “You ever get the feelin’...I don’t know...when you’re in town and someone looks at you, suspicious, like he knows?”

I wonder whether there was a specific incident to make Ennis feel that way. It wouldn’t have to be something that happened to him--maybe he saw someone else being harassed. That’d be enough to trigger his startle point.

I always think of it as a reaction to Alma's Thanksgiving confrontation. He figures if she knows, lots of people must know, either because she let the secret out (if only to her husband, but he's the town grocer), or because they figured it out the same way she did (since he doesn't know what she saw in the stairwell).

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 03:28:38 pm »
I've discussed this elsewhere, but I am always amazed that, though Mr. Twist does show icy contempt, it does not seem to be a reaction to Ennis and Jack's gayness. Rather, he's mad at Ennis for letting Jack down, and/or Jack for not following through on his plan to help out at the ranch. I think this is intended to show Ennis discovering that not everyone reacts as negatively to homosexuality as he assumes they do.

I always think of it as a reaction to Alma's Thanksgiving confrontation. He figures if she knows, lots of people must know, either because she let the secret out (if only to her husband, but he's the town grocer), or because they figured it out the same way she did (since he doesn't know what she saw in the stairwell).

Im with you on the Thanksgiving.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 02:52:46 am »
Did Ennis have to listen to other people making jokes about homosexuality, maybe laugh along with them to keep them from suspecting?

I'd be very surprised if he didn't. After all, we sophisticated urbanites in supposedly enlightened 2006 hear jokes about homosexuality all the time. All Ennis would have to do if he were around now is flip on Jay Leno, apparently on just about any night of the week, to hear a joke about homosexuality (I don't normally watch Jay, but I happened to see the show one night around Easter and heard four BBM jokes).

And as Clarissa has pointed out, Ennis is forced to hear a homophobic joke on the radio as he's packing for a getaway with Jack. That's not in the time period we're talking about now, but I'd be surprised if he didn't hear anything then.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 03:13:05 am »

I agree with you on both counts here......I didnt detect any sarcasm or negativism from Old Man Twist about the fact that Jack talked about bringing Ennis or the Ranch hand up to the far, except of course that IT didnt happen.....Maybe OMT hadnt twigged that Jack was gay and these were his lovers....considering the time and place, plus maybe even the tendency of the parent maybe not wanting to acknowledge it...I really cant see OMT accepting "gayness", so I conclude that he didnt realize Jack was gay.

I hadnt really thought, before, how Ennis would have thought how Alma twigged on to him and Jack, NOT FISHING, for her to go to the lengths she did, tying the note to the line....because even though WE know she saw them in the stairwell, HE didnt know that....I dont think she would have broadcast it around town, and maybe she wouldnt have even told Monroe....but Ennis must have got paranoid thinking that if "dumb ass Alma" can pick it, why couldnt others.

And, something else, that i dont know if it has been mentioned....Laureens dad made a statement when he turned off the TV, about boys should watch football, and the way he glanced at Jack.....had he also picked up on something about Jack, or heard something around town?

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 06:38:39 pm »
Katie77 wrote:
Just because it is different, doesnt mean it is wrong...
Quelle coincidence! I had the same thought a few months ago, and voila! http://www.cafepress.com/wero/1311964