Author Topic: Forget the Botox! Try Facial Yoga!  (Read 7681 times)

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Forget the Botox! Try Facial Yoga!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 11:39:54 am »
Years ago, Richard Simmons advocated exactly these exercises for keeping your face looking younger!

Thanks for posting these, Kerry. I may actually start using them this time around!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 04:01:07 pm »

I have used some of these for years.  But I have to admit not on a real regular basis always.  But they certainly do help...
But when first starting, be ready to feel the soreness in facial places you don't normally think of.. especially around the neck area ....but after a few days they
get better. 

Beautiful mind

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 08:03:01 pm »
I thought this was debunked years ago.  Some doctor said that the muscles of the face aren't like big body muscles and exercising them liberally was just going to wrinkle the skin faster, since skin isn't a muscle.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 08:19:08 pm »
I thought this was debunked years ago.  Some doctor said that the muscles of the face aren't like big body muscles and exercising them liberally was just going to wrinkle the skin faster, since skin isn't a muscle.

Quote from my "Give Yourself a Facial Workout" thread here at BetterMost People:

"Within the skin is the tiny muscle called the arrector pili. Immediately underneath the skin are the circular and long muscles that allow us to control movement of our eyes, mouth, jaw and neck. They are the muscles of eating, speech and facial expression and usually hold a significant amount of residual tension in their fibres. They need stretching, exercises and deeper  massage to relax and reset them. These same techniques can be used on most other areas of the skin."
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 08:21:18 pm »
Years ago, Richard Simmons advocated exactly these exercises for keeping your face looking younger!

Thanks for posting these, Kerry. I may actually start using them this time around!

Me too! I heard about this years ago but might give it a more serious go this time.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 08:24:25 pm »

I have used some of these for years.  But I have to admit not on a real regular basis always.  But they certainly do help...
But when first starting, be ready to feel the soreness in facial places you don't normally think of.. especially around the neck area ....but after a few days they
get better. 

Thanks for the warning, Janice. I carry a lot of tension in my neck and shoulder area so am experiencing a little discomfort there initially. I'm looking forward to a more relaxed me!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 11:32:13 pm »
Quote from my "Give Yourself a Facial Workout" thread here at BetterMost People:

"Within the skin is the tiny muscle called the arrector pili. Immediately underneath the skin are the circular and long muscles that allow us to control movement of our eyes, mouth, jaw and neck. They are the muscles of eating, speech and facial expression and usually hold a significant amount of residual tension in their fibres. They need stretching, exercises and deeper  massage to relax and reset them. These same techniques can be used on most other areas of the skin."

But doesn't this fly in the face of why Botox is so successful?  Botox is used to paralyze the muscle nerves so that the skin is not moved by constant facial expressions because that causes wrinkles.  Yet this Facial Yoga suggests exercising those self-same muscles so as to make us look younger....  ???

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 12:07:19 am »
But doesn't this fly in the face of why Botox is so successful?  Botox is used to paralyze the muscle nerves so that the skin is not moved by constant facial expressions because that causes wrinkles.  Yet this Facial Yoga suggests exercising those self-same muscles so as to make us look younger....  ???

Does there need to be only one  method? Perhaps, just perhaps, both methods have their own individual merits and are worthwhile in their own right. Is that at all possible?  Does the fact that Botox works necessarily negate the possibility that Facial Yoga might work? It's nice to have a choice. And speaking for myself, I would prefer to have a soothing, relaxed facial massage than have Botox needles freezing my face into a fixed grimace (Have you seen Joan Rivers lately?). That's just my opinion though.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 08:12:06 am »
Does there need to be only one  method? Perhaps, just perhaps, both methods have their own individual merits and are worthwhile in their own right. Is that at all possible?  Does the fact that Botox works necessarily negate the possibility that Facial Yoga might work? It's nice to have a choice. And speaking for myself, I would prefer to have a soothing, relaxed facial massage than have Botox needles freezing my face into a fixed grimace (Have you seen Joan Rivers lately?). That's just my opinion though.  :D

It's not that, but that they're options espousing totally opposite solutions to the problem of looking aged.

One is don't move anything, stay expressionless and no wrinkles - Botox
The other is move everything, use your facial expressions and no wrinkles - Face Yoga

They can't both be right.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 09:34:02 am »
Well, I'll give facial yoga a go!

Thanks Kerry!!

:D
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/