Author Topic: Trip to Chicago - a crash  (Read 12859 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Trip to Chicago - a crash
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 08:35:10 pm »
My dad was a tueb driver in the London underground for about 15 years I believe (we're not close so not sure fo exact timescales and he took early retirement about a year ago)

He had 2 jumpers in his time - but he knew of one who had had 9.

You automatically get signed off on full pay for 3 months.. more if required but you can't take any less. You also have to see a councillor for a specific length of time whether you need it or not.

That is absolutely unholiness awful.  :o :o :o

I'm so glad to read there was psychological help for the drivers.  Not sure what Amtrak offers its employees.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 10:04:25 pm »

I'm so glad to read there was psychological help for the drivers.  Not sure what Amtrak offers its employees.

The Amtrak engineers get the same help and resources available to them as the freight engineers in these types of situations.  It's all FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) mandated.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 10:12:01 pm »
I am a hard core railfan and I love riding trains, and I can't even handle riding Long Distance Amtrak trains anymore.  Which is such a shame!  :-\

Oh, gee, thanks, Eric! Now you tell me!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 10:19:07 pm »
They'd offer reservations for dinner and by the late dinner, they were out of all but a few items.  They'd make announcements for first come first serve breakfast and lunch, then call a cut-off time because they were out of food.

I guess I'd better plan on trying to snag early seatings for meals. ...  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 11:10:53 pm »
I guess I'd better plan on trying to snag early seatings for meals. ...  :-\

I'd pack as much of my own food as possible if I were you  The dining car food that I ate was about the same quality as you find in hospitals or out of those vendors you see hanging around bars at 1 in the morning.  The taste of food that has been pre-cooked and kept warm for days.  :P

The snackbar sells pre-packaged foods of the quality you find in convenience stores, ready for heating in the microwave.

Don't forget to pack Dramamine or some other motion sickness meds.  I packed some, but found when I finally did start to get motion sickness, a little lemon-lime soda and peanut M&Ms worked wonders. Take a blanket/jacket/sweater, it gets damned cold at night.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 08:34:57 am »
I'd pack as much of my own food as possible if I were you  The dining car food that I ate was about the same quality as you find in hospitals or out of those vendors you see hanging around bars at 1 in the morning.  The taste of food that has been pre-cooked and kept warm for days.  :P

The snackbar sells pre-packaged foods of the quality you find in convenience stores, ready for heating in the microwave.

Don't forget to pack Dramamine or some other motion sickness meds.  I packed some, but found when I finally did start to get motion sickness, a little lemon-lime soda and peanut M&Ms worked wonders. Take a blanket/jacket/sweater, it gets damned cold at night.

Were you traveling in Coach, Del?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 04:06:31 pm »
Always Always Always get the first seating for lunch and dinner reservations.  They will still have everything on the menu, and the dining car staff aren't grouchy and tired yet.  Also, if you eat a large meal with the desserts they serve close to bed time, you won't be able to sleep.  Trust me!  Don't forget, all you're doing on a train is sitting and eating.   :laugh:

The food leaves a little to be desired.  Back in 2006 congress demanded Amtrak lower all its food costs.  This meant the elimination of real plates (so they could fire the dishwashers) and a switch from fresh cooked food to pre-packaged "microwave/convection meals".  It's a damn shame.

However, Dinner is still pretty good.  You can't go wrong with the chicken.  Always ask for the steak well done, because it will come out somewhat rare anyways.  If you ask for it rare, it will still be moving on your plate.  I rarely hear complaints about the pasta dishes.  The peanut butter chocolate torte for dessert is a killer.  I've never seen anyone be able to finish it because it's so rich.  I've taken bets with table mates that they wouldn't be able to finish it and I always win!  :D

Breakfast is ok.  They still serve grits!!  The omelets are pre-packaged, but they're ok I guess.  Scrambled eggs are powered egg mix.  French toast is what it is.

Lunch is an ABSOLUTE DISASTER.  The burgers are the same burgers they serve in the cafe car, they just put some Ruffles chips on your plate and a pickle.  They'll usually offer a salad, and that's ok.  There might be a warm sandwich offered, which will have processed cheese goo on it, stay away from that.  But with lunch, you still get dessert.

And by the way, this crappy Simplified Dining Service (SDS) is in effect on all trains EXCEPT FOR THE EMPIRE BUILDER.  The EMPIERE BUILDER still operates with REAL PLATES and CUPS, real waitresses/waiters, and REAL FOOD COOKED FRESH ON BOARD THE TRAIN TO ORDER.    So, enjoy the food on the EB as much as you can.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 04:10:06 pm »
Oh, gee, thanks, Eric! Now you tell me!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Oh for your first trip you're going to enjoy it!  It's those of us who've worn it out who are bitter and jaded.  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 04:24:10 pm »
Oh for your first trip you're going to enjoy it!  It's those of us who've worn it out who are bitter and jaded.  :laugh:

:laugh:  :-*

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 08:10:11 pm »
Were you traveling in Coach, Del?

Yep.  Had I decided to go up a class, I might as well have paid for airline tickets and saved myself 20 hours.