Author Topic: What's on your summer Must-Watch Movie List?  (Read 81402 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: What's on your summer Must-Watch Movie List?
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 12:37:02 pm »
Yes, and much was made of his eyes like soles, or souls. I was thriled by, of all things, his arms, as well as the arms of the two leads in Little Ashes. I'm becoming an arm person. Have I been influenced by Michelle O. perhaps?

There were two novels, Cheri and Last of Cheri. Neither one was a tragedy, IMHO. I don't think the reviewer read those books anytime recently!! Besides, the movie did have a sad ending. Perhaps the reviewer didn't stay till the end. There is a longish speech at the end, which I liked, but all the guys in the audience were squirming...

My other gripe with the movie is that we see a scene at the beginning of their affair, and then jump to the last day of their affair six months later when Cheri's engagement was announced!! I felt cheated!!

Oh, she stayed for the end, because she complains about the movie's "hasty third act and abrupt denouement." As for the story being a tragedy, what she said was, "If you are not familiar with the source material, a May/September romance about the power and powerlessness of love, will you understand from this film that the seriocomic story is one of literature's great tragedies? I think not." She concludes her review, "What is lacking in this version, with its hasty third act and abrupt denouement, is the surprise that their union [Lea and Cheri] may be the deepest love either will ever know."

That concluding comment reminds you of somebody, don't it? The review makes me want to read Collette rather than go to the movies.

Except that I'm straight for Michelle Pfeiffer and have been since at least The Witches of Eastwick.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 02:38:18 pm »
I LOVED Away We Go.  I think everyone who has participated in this thread will too.

You know how you go to a movie, and all the previews look horrible and stupid and awful?  Not this time.  Every preview looked great.  500 Days of Summer with JGL and the quirky and interesting Zooey Deschanel looks great, and Whatever Works, with Larry David playing Woody Allen looks good, and Julie and Julia does too.  I'm excited.  I don't often have movies I'm eager to see.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 02:46:52 pm »
Maybe we should start picking which movies to go to based on which ones will be accompanied by the best trailers!

I very rarely see horror movies or action movies, but every now and then there's some exceptional one and I go. And the trailers are always awful.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 06:09:54 pm »
Definitely read Colette and if some are inspired to by this movie, then it will have served a good purpose!!

I don't blame the reviewer for bemoaning the hastiness of the third act, because the "third act" in life is often hasty and anticlimactic as well. That is when you realize that you had something good and you threw it away and you hastily rummage through the trash can looking for your treasure, only to find that it is just a shadow of its former self. You breath in the smell of it hoping for the sweet salty stink but there is nothing there, nothing but your memories and imagination.

Except that I'm straight for Michelle Pfeiffer and have been since at least The Witches of Eastwick.  ;D

I'm envious of her! MP has the most wonderful bow-shaped upper lip which I've never noticed before!! I bet I could teach her to kiss without smacking! Look for my credit as her kissing coach in her next movie!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 06:50:09 pm »
I saw Up this afternoon. It was good, very touching.

While at the theater, I also took in little 5-minute samples of The Proposal, The Hangover and Away We Go, and all looked like they'd be fun.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 07:09:54 pm »
The Hangover

I learned this week that Bradley Cooper is from the Philadelphia 'burbs. He developed his hot bod rowing crew in high school.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2009, 07:31:58 pm »
I saw Up this afternoon. It was good, very touching.

I'm so glad you saw it and liked it! Did you see it in 3-D? Did you keep your glasses?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2009, 11:19:02 pm »
I'm so glad you saw it and liked it! Did you see it in 3-D? Did you keep your glasses?

I did. But it's a little problematic, because I wear them over my regular glasses. I turned them back in at the end of the show.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2009, 11:37:00 pm »
I went with a whole row full of people, Brokies mostly, and my friend Adam demanded that we turn the special glasses over to him at the end of the show. Can't imagine what he's plotting!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 03:09:54 pm »
The New Yorker calls Up "a complete triumph, even an instant classic." Time for more voters to have their say on this year's summer movies!!