Author Topic: got laid off - HIRED!!!  (Read 23914 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: got laid off
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 06:37:19 pm »
Oh dear.....it seems to happen like that, and Im sorry it is happening to you, I really am.

Its like when you are down, something else comes along and kicks you in the guts.

Lets hope it turns around quickly for you.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 06:48:16 pm »
...and as I write...it's hailing.  :-\

Not that I care if my cars get hail dents in them...I just hope none suffer cracked or smashed glass from the hail stones.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 04:24:01 am »
oh dear Del.. keep your chin up tho!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 10:15:12 am »
after nearly 12 years at the salt mines (I thought slaves had to be sold.)  :P

Have become a casualty of the bad economic times and stupid upper management.

I am a statistic.

I will likely be disconnecting my internet services in a few weeks, so FYI in case I disappear.

Del

That just blows. ...  >:(

Sorry to hear the news, Del.  :(

Good luck!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 11:30:54 pm »
Talk about perspective.

A friend who is currently chief operating officer at his small company bought a new house about a year ago.  His no-account younger son (who is over 18)  lives with him.  He bought a bigger than required house, planning for the time his mother becomes too ill to live on her own so she can come live with him.

He was very upset about the downswing in the economy.  His retirement was basically destroyed, so he really couldn't plan on ever retiring anymore.  So he decided to buckle down and rebuild his finances.

Then about 3 weeks ago, he came down with a pinched nerve in his lower back.  He also has high BP and is medically controlling his cholesteral levels.  Now he is in severe pain, is on crutches, it is agony for him to sit or stand or lay for any amount of time.  My parents both went through the same condition and it's no picnic.

He is currently getting injections for the pain and his doctor recommended the newest surgery.  It's dangerous surgery, but I encouraged him to get it.  No point in living with such pain.

Then yesterday, when he e-mailed to check in with me, I found out that he strongly suspects that his boss is trying to push him out.  A lot of his duties are starting to be removed and delegated out to others, that sort of thing.  He had helped his boss build up that company, and now he's considered a liability due to the amount of his paycheck and - probably - his health issues.

Talk about taking a serious hit should he be laid off what with his house note, truck note and son depending on him.  And I, at least, still have my health.  He doesn't and has serious health problems.  I urged him to get the operation quick before he got laid off so their insurance could pay for it.  My bosses laid me off just as the open enrollment period was ending for my health insurance

i.e. they cut me loose at the end of my insurance coverage period so I have no health coverage and will have to find my own.

His situation really put things in perspective for me.  :-\ 

Offline Katie77

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 12:34:38 am »
That really does suck.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 09:54:01 am »
Yes. it does.  :-\

There are so many horror stories now about people losing their healt insurance coverage and/or being squeezed from their good and well-paying jobs because of their health issues - either because they can't work around the clock or because their health problems cause their employers' insurance fees to skyrocket. I feel so bad for them. What a double whammy.

I hope you're holding up OK, Del.

Offline delalluvia

Re: got laid off - perspective
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 09:26:50 pm »
Talk about perspective.

A friend who is currently chief operating officer at his small company bought a new house about a year ago.  His no-account younger son (who is over 18)  lives with him.  He bought a bigger than required house, planning for the time his mother becomes too ill to live on her own so she can come live with him.

He was very upset about the downswing in the economy.  His retirement was basically destroyed, so he really couldn't plan on ever retiring anymore.  So he decided to buckle down and rebuild his finances.

Then about 3 weeks ago, he came down with a pinched nerve in his lower back.  He also has high BP and is medically controlling his cholesteral levels.  Now he is in severe pain, is on crutches, it is agony for him to sit or stand or lay for any amount of time.  My parents both went through the same condition and it's no picnic.

He is currently getting injections for the pain and his doctor recommended the newest surgery.  It's dangerous surgery, but I encouraged him to get it.  No point in living with such pain.

Then yesterday, when he e-mailed to check in with me, I found out that he strongly suspects that his boss is trying to push him out.  A lot of his duties are starting to be removed and delegated out to others, that sort of thing.  He had helped his boss build up that company, and now he's considered a liability due to the amount of his paycheck and - probably - his health issues.

Talk about taking a serious hit should he be laid off what with his house note, truck note and son depending on him.  And I, at least, still have my health.  He doesn't and has serious health problems.  I urged him to get the operation quick before he got laid off so their insurance could pay for it.  My bosses laid me off just as the open enrollment period was ending for my health insurance

i.e. they cut me loose at the end of my insurance coverage period so I have no health coverage and will have to find my own.

His situation really put things in perspective for me.  :-\ 

Just heard from my friend.  Four days after I wrote this, he got laid off.  :P  Needless to say, he didn't have time to get the surgery, so now he's unemployed and partially invalid.  Have no idea what he's going to do.  All I can hope is that he got a good severance package, seeing as he was a high muckety muck at his company.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 04:33:54 pm »
Reeeeally depressed right now.  :(

Got a great tip on a place that was hiring.  A state job at the local medical school.  The pay wasn't that great, but the benefits were awesome and even had a retirement plan.  I went in and applied and got 4 calls for interviews for 4 different departments in the last 10 days.

All the interviews went well.  One spectacularly so.  One was so enthused about my applying with her department she was the first to call me back for a 2nd interview to meet her staff, tried to talk me out of going to some of my other interviews - in a joking way of course - .  Her staff and I got along well, when I met them yesterday, one even walked me out, saying how much she liked me and giving me hints about parking and stuff...I was so upbeat yesterday, sure I'd get an offer...

And I got their rejection e-mail this morning.

*sigh*

And this department was REALLY positive about me.  The others were OK, I came across well.

It would really suck if I went to all these interviews and didn't get a single offer.  :(

Offline Katie77

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 05:07:36 pm »
Oh dear Del, that is a terrible let down.

Makes you wonder what changed their positive attitude in such as short time.

Are you able to contact them to ask them, what went wrong, at least then you would know.

Anyway, good luck with the other interviews, hopefully something good will come from them.