Author Topic: Help find a story...  (Read 10390 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Help find a story...
« on: August 03, 2006, 11:30:59 pm »
Hi,

I'm looking for a story about Jack and Randall.  I think the author's real name might be Amanda.  On dc her screen name started with an "a" and also had an "x" in there somewhere.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Kelly

(L and L is it okay that I did this in a new thread?  Let me know if it is not.)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
Re: Help find a story...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 09:10:40 am »
I would post this over at brokebackslash... they would probably know  :)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 12:58:13 am »
I'm looking for a story callled "Standing Still," in which Jack wants Ennis to dance with him.

Thought maybe we could turn this into a "looking for a story" column!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 01:43:20 am »
Sounds like an interesting story... sorry haven't heard of it.  But yes that was my idea, in terms of the thread name... hopefully some answers to go along with the questions, eventually.
 ;)
Kelly
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 02:48:33 am »
Hi,

I'm looking for a story about Jack and Randall.  I think the author's real name might be Amanda.  On dc her screen name started with an "a" and also had an "x" in there somewhere.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Kelly

(L and L is it okay that I did this in a new thread?  Let me know if it is not.)

Yes it is okay and no, I don't know the story off hand. Let me do some sleuthiing...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 03:03:36 am »
Hi,

Thanks.
Kelly

Kelly,

Not sure if this is the story you are looking for.  "Come November" by athinfacade. http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/295981.html#cutid1

I didn't read the story so don't know if this is the one.  Just notice that the stroy is about Jack and Randall.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 12:22:02 pm »
Thanks for your help Jenny, but sorry that's not the one.  But thanks for trying!
 :)

Offline ohiomyown

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 04:50:04 pm »
athinfacade      Amanda   Come November, Part 1 and 2    
http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/301458.html#cutid1

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 07:11:41 pm »
Okay, maybe that is it.  I'll check it out.  Thanks everyone.
Kelly

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 10:01:29 pm »
Thanks everyone for alerting me to this author.  I read a bunch of her stuff today and really enjoyed it!  The Jack/Randall/Ennis story isn't over yet... she has also written some RPS and other interesting Brokeback related things.
 ;D

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 03:50:47 am »
Anyone know of "Standing Still"
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
Help me find 'Come Away Easy'
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 07:19:49 pm »
Can anyone help me find the story 'Come Away Easy' somewhere online?

I've tried this link, but all I get is a 'you do not have permission' notice:

http://comeawayeasy.livejournal.com/5212.html#cutid1

Is it posted anywhere else? I've heard its good.
Any help will be appreciated.

I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline Seom

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 11:55:53 pm »
Hmm... well i'm not looking for a specific story, but looking for a story type. Does anyone know any really good angsty/tragedy stories? I don't want ones were Ennis is thinking of Jack after he died, there are just to many of those, but i want ones that are heart wrenching about their relationship when Jack was alive. I'm in the mood for a heart wrenching... call me crazy... ;) Like those ones about Randall and Jack posted above, where Jack is just broken up about Ennis, or even like the story i wrote on here, it's the type i like. Any suggestions?

Offline belgianboy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Jakin' off ever' chance I get ...
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 11:00:57 am »
Hmm... well i'm not looking for a specific story, but looking for a story type. Does anyone know any really good angsty/tragedy stories? I don't want ones were Ennis is thinking of Jack after he died, there are just to many of those, but i want ones that are heart wrenching about their relationship when Jack was alive. I'm in the mood for a heart wrenching... call me crazy... ;) Like those ones about Randall and Jack posted above, where Jack is just broken up about Ennis, or even like the story i wrote on here, it's the type i like. Any suggestions?
Hi Seom--

I'm a canon guy, totally into the beauty of the BBM tragedy, so I'm going to pimp for a couple of my own early fanfics called "Kin" and "Silence." The second one might interest you, because it presents an end to Jack that is in contrast to your fanfic--which I LOVED!  But "Kin" is also sad in its own way, as a prelude to "Silence." I wrote "Silence" on Christmas Eve, as some sort of catharsis, I guess. You can find these in the LiveJournal for rvanv, my alter-ego, also posted in Brokebackslash on January 18th.

Otherwise, there is an awesome fic that has stuck with me called "Careful What You Wish For" by LJ writer Crimson 37. It was posted in Brokebackslash on March 1st.

Good hunting,
Belgianboy

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 03:19:30 pm »
I thought Sheera's "The Words Do Not Come" was pretty angsty.  She is "trascedenza" on livejournal.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 03:21:10 pm by notBastet »

Offline Seom

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 05:05:31 pm »
thanks for the suggestions, but one more problem... how do i find these? Sry to be difficult, but could you post some links for me? :-* thanks! ;D

Offline belgianboy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Jakin' off ever' chance I get ...
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 05:17:58 pm »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 07:51:27 pm »
After reading "The Silence"

We feel joy for those
who never lived or loved; mourn
those who never died.

Yet we can feel joy
for those who really love; mourn
those who truly died.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 04:02:18 am by twistedude »

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 11:47:36 am »
thanks for the suggestions, but one more problem... how do i find these? Sry to be difficult, but could you post some links for me?

Stories on Live Journal can be a lot more difficult to find than on fanfiction.net, where they're all listed. LJ apparently was intended for blogs and not fiction.

The easiest way to look in LJ and find the kind of fiction you want is to join a 'community', where authors post titles and links.  Brokeback Slash and Wranglers seem to be the best sources.  Links:

http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 11:31:42 am »
LAST PLEA: Anyone know WHERE a FANFIC IS CALLED "sTANDING sTILL" IS?  Both are drunk, and Jack keeps asking Ennis to dance with him, and keeps saying "but nobody can see us out here." It's opretty sad...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 02:21:27 pm »
LAST PLEA: Anyone know WHERE a FANFIC IS CALLED "sTANDING sTILL" IS?  Both are drunk, and Jack keeps asking Ennis to dance with him, and keeps saying "but nobody can see us out here." It's opretty sad...

Julie,

Maybe you want to ask this question on davecullen? They seem to have encyclopedic memories for obscure fics over there...especially since no one here is answering your question. I don't know where this story is, myself.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 09:42:33 pm »
good idea..wish i could remember who first showed it to me.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 11:36:06 pm »
spent am hour over on Dave Cullen...reading a bit.;..pant. Still can't find "Standing Still." Oh well...is Chicago too far from Portland...er what?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 10:54:37 am »
spent am hour over on Dave Cullen...reading a bit.;..pant. Still can't find "Standing Still." Oh well...is Chicago too far from Portland...er what?

Chicago too far from Portland for....?

L

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006, 01:48:25 pm »
The Slash Bash, ya...writer, you.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 02:46:12 pm »
The Slash Bash, ya...writer, you.

No, we have our New England get together...that is keeping me busy right now.

L

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Angsty story
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 04:12:04 am »

Well I think this one might fit the bill:

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/142528.html

Hope you like...

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 09:55:18 pm »
Hi,

Thanks.
Kelly

Kel are you looking for come november?    im not sure of the authors name, ill see if i can find it.

Beautiful mind

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 10:52:29 pm »
Janice,

That was it!  someone posted the link awhile back - thanks for checking in on me!  I read what has been written, and enjoyed it... it's not finished though... the author is in midst of a number of stories... not sure if she'll ever get back to Come November, but I'll pick it back up if she does.
 :)