Author Topic: Sword and Sandal movie updates  (Read 30890 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Sword and Sandal movie updates
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 04:09:58 am »
Royston Lambert

Gag, you want me to go dig up every Alexander book and article and dissertation I've ever read?

Just a quickie search gives me Arrian and Plutarch mentioning the Illiad-style tributes.  I'd have to dig dieeper for the modern historians.

The Achilles-Patroclus / Alexander-Hephaestion connection is well known. It is a fact of history that Alexander and Hephaestion together sacrificed at the tombs of Achilles and Patroclus at Troy. They did so openly, before the entire army. There is no doubt that the message they were conveying was that they were the new Achilles and Patroclus, and should be accepted as such.

Gag, indeed! I don't know what came over me, requesting your sources. God knows, there are gazillions of them!  Forgive me. I'm somewhat protective of Alexander. Not that he needs my protection. Heaven forbid. (Wouldn't mind him being a little protective of me, however - haha!) There are extremely disparate views about Alexander in every aspect of his legend. I personally tend to veer towards the romantic. Just regarding his sexuality alone, there are mind-bogglingly opposite sites on the Internet, ranging from overt gay to overt straight. Some of them are very aggressive in their views. It's amazing that a man who has been dead for over two thousand years can still generate such passion. As for me, I believe Alexander was simply a man of his time.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 03:06:27 pm »
The Achilles-Patroclus / Alexander-Hephaestion connection is well known. It is a fact of history that Alexander and Hephaestion together sacrificed at the tombs of Achilles and Patroclus at Troy. They did so openly, before the entire army. There is no doubt that the message they were conveying was that they were the new Achilles and Patroclus, and should be accepted as such.

Not exactly a fact.  I think the sacrifice at Troy is only mentioned by one historian and it's one of the iffy-er authors.  Regardless, no one is denying that they - or Alexander at least - viewed themselves as the new Achilles/Patroclus, what's at issue is how much that affected/influenced Alexander's level of mourning.  Apparently a lot.  How much was for show we'll never know.  But we could take his actions as a homage as well, so there's that.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:44:02 pm by delalluvia »

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 11:08:15 am »
Just came across this discussion

I too am a great fan of Alexander and can answer some questions which arose earlier.

Ancient Sogdia is today called Uzbekistan and Bactria is the ancient name for Afghanistan.

In fact there has been another movie recently made about Alexander called Young Alexander (2007)
which for some reason has not yet been released.

http://www.britfilms.com/britishfilms/catalogue/browse/?id=D5D44D521b20024A02YrM26CC37A

I think the best modern Alexander historian is Robin Lane Fox (who also rode in the cavalry in the film as the fee for his consulting role)

http://www.makingthemovie.info/2004/09/charge-of-smart-brigade.html

Fans of Mary Renault will love this site

http://community.livejournal.com/maryrenaultfics/

Also people are welcome to visit my Alexander blog over at dave cullen which I started in 2007. It covers all things Alexander from an historical, literary, geographical and amusing point of view plus many pics of Alexander and the places and people associated with him.

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=26820.0
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 11:55:10 am »
Here's a link to a you-tube interview with Lucy Lawless about Spartacus:

http://www.daemonstv.com/2009/08/13/lucy-lawless-talks-about-spartacus-blood-and-sand/
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 12:17:39 pm »
It's amazing that a man who has been dead for over two thousand years can still generate such passion.

Doesn't surprise me. Think of Jesus of Nazareth.  ;)  ;D  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 11:17:34 pm »
Doesn't surprise me. Think of Jesus of Nazareth.  ;)  ;D  :laugh:

Yes - but Alexander's memory was not preserved and promoted by a worldwide religion and the efforts of  missionaries like St Paul.

His cult petered out in Alexandria a few hundred years after his death.

Like King Arthur, Alexander continues to live on in folk memory in a spontaneous way - there is something in his story which has an archetypal power to deeply affect people - much like the story of Jack and Ennis.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 02:29:10 am »
Yes - but Alexander's memory was not preserved and promoted by a worldwide religion and the efforts of  missionaries like St Paul.

His cult petered out in Alexandria a few hundred years after his death.

Like King Arthur, Alexander continues to live on in folk memory in a spontaneous way - there is something in his story which has an archetypal power to deeply affect people - much like the story of Jack and Ennis.

Agree, people have been talking about Cleopatra and Julius Caesar, heck even Spartacus for longer than Christ as well and not because of any religious zeal.