Author Topic: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway  (Read 104259 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2009, 12:01:08 pm »
And it should be unnecessary to point out that this isn't a discussion about hip-hop.

As if the discussion getting diverted into yet another snarkorama about 'androphiles' wasn't bad enough.

Again? Jesus H. ...

;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2009, 12:36:59 pm »
Again? Jesus H. ...

;)

Marge was the one that posted about it this time:

Interesting, the assumption that a non-androphile gay man wouldn't have any insight about how men think.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2009, 12:41:20 pm »
"Ain't goin down on Brokeback Mountain" is full of typical country wordplay.

The question is: who's it making fun of?  The words directly ridicule homosexuals and end with an admonishment that "that ain't right."

So it jokingly reinforces homophobia.

I've heard claims that it makes fun of homophobia, but I've been presented with no evidence for that beyond wishful thinking.

Anybody who's been a redneck knows that saying something in a joking manner is often used as a safe way of telling the truth, because it can always be followed by an, "I was just joshin" disclaimer.  With this song, we don't even get that.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2009, 02:30:59 pm »
I was wondering if this particular song was a financial move to placate former fans he might have alienated with BBM...
Oh, I think old Willie is just looking for some media attention. He doesn't play the big concert venues anymore. He doesn't draw them in like he did in his early days.

Totally.  He didn't even write the tune.  It completely lacks the artistry of any of his real songs (the tune itself, and the shitty production by Chesney).

It does smack of classic backpedaling.  But "Cowboys are Frequently Secretly Fond of Each Other" is also on the Lost Highway CD, which is interesting.  You'd think that he would have left that track off, if he's a complete homophobe.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2009, 02:56:19 pm »
You'd think that he would have left that track off, if he's a complete homophobe.

Right. Which tells me that he had no intentions of homophobia with "Ain't Goin' Down."
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2009, 03:27:38 pm »

Totally.  He didn't even write the tune.  It completely lacks the artistry of any of his real songs (the tune itself, and the shitty production by Chesney).

It does smack of classic backpedaling.  But "Cowboys are Frequently Secretly Fond of Each Other" is also on the Lost Highway CD, which is interesting.  You'd think that he would have left that track off, if he's a complete homophobe.

I think he's trying to play both sides of the fence, which tells me we don't know what he really believes.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2009, 03:32:17 pm »
Anybody who's been a redneck knows that saying something in a joking manner is often used as a safe way of telling the truth, because it can always be followed by an, "I was just joshin" disclaimer.  With this song, we don't even get that.

Heh. Friend, that tactic ain't just limited to rednecks.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2009, 03:35:13 pm »

Very true, but that's where I learned it!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2009, 05:11:25 pm »
And besides, I'm not much interested in the intent of those who sing the song.  I don't like it because I know what the homophobes will take from it if they should happen to hear it.  And I know that Willie Nelson knows how the homophobes will take it.

Following that logic, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence, the Wayans brothers, and every other black comedian should just find new careers because they're giving ammunition to racists.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2009, 05:13:56 pm »

love your new avatar, Jeff!
 Yes, let´s look (stare) at Jack for a while.